ADVERTISEMENT

UR suspends head baseball coach and assistant

Vol, I'm glad you put all of that in one place it helps to understand. I was aware of most, but not all. I will say I don't think it always works out as simple as these articles make it seem. One area I see a disconnect is the calculation of available assets by a small business owner, it seems the business is counted as income and an asset available for tuition payment. (This is only based upon discussions of people with children that have applied to UR and not with the University). I read what you say to show rural Virginia may be a fertile area to recruit, if the kids can go for free. IF they can meet our admission requirements, which may be difficult due to the offerings fo the rural schools. I don't know how large that pool is, but feel it may not be large.

Originally posted by 62Spider:
G - glad you made it so simple. That would reduce our pool of prospects to about 10 percent of the population. How can we miss. At the heart of it is the number of scholarships allowed vs the number you need to field a team. At least in football you have enough grants to field a fine team regardless of their socio/economic status.
62 what other pool of prospects are you expecting? As pointed out we have very good financial aid program, the biggest issue with it is probably awareness. also why does qualifying for financial aid decrease your pool, shouldn't it be the opposite. Is our pool smaller than most...yes. It has been that way for quite a while. First you need good academic profile for admittance, then you have either afford to pay, get financial aid, or be awarded some type of ship. It is that simple.

Yes there is a scarcity of baseball scholarships but u have to appeal to NCAA on that. If you want 25 ships most schools wouldn't do it even if allowed. 11.7 is ncaa max, that is spread over 30+ players in a non equal fashion. Unless you're a stud you're lucky to get even a half scholarship.

URFan1,

Yes, it isn't all perfect but I thought that would at least provide some hard facts against the myth that our high cost of tuition is extremely hurtful to our athletic program. Sure it is something we have to work within and it does in some cases shrink our applicant pool. however, it is nowhere near the issue that many on this board believe it is.

What is most frustrating about this is that the myth exists amonst our own. This means this perception is even stronger outside our close knit community of alums and supports. This is a message we need to get out and disprove. We need to help change the wrong perception.

The other thing that bothers me about this discussion is that we are just sitting around making excuses for underperforming. We have some disadvantages and we have some advantages, those are facts. We are not near as expensive as too many people believe so stop using it as an excuse. The cost of tuition isn't going to change and it doesn't need to for us to win in athletics.

In terms of the low income VA population, we can go beyond rural areas as well as large population areas like VA Beach too. Sure academcis will certainly sink that application pool. Finding kids from rural and inner city areas with the combination of academics and athletics is always tough. But academics will always be an issue. We aren't going to accept just anyone. If you can't understand that or face that fact then you are never going to stop complaining about UR athletics.

dwight.gif

think that is MO, jumping up and down in the background, always out of his seat at games, causing red sweaters to become angry and yell SIT DOWN you whacko. good job SF

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT