ADVERTISEMENT

UR at MD

Offense looked good in the second quarter but zero in the second half. I would really like to see them score once more to try and get some confidence

Probably an unpopular post, but I think we should play FCS exclusively, or make the financial commitment to go to FBS. It's unfair to our athletes, to ask them to compete with FBS teams. We are underweight, and slower, and we almost always lose to FBS teams. What's the point?

Glad to see Verlardo walking off -- hope we have no injuries today

A lot of good performances by our team today. But it doesn't change the fact that BCS schools get the biggest, most athletic, and quickest athletes. It's not a fair contest between UR and FBS. Why do it? Let's win a national championship, or let's go FBS. Decide, once and for all, go FCS or FBS. I think we'll stay FCS, so, let's play FCS teams. We're not competitive with FBS teams.

The punting game to Likely is deplorable. UR passed up a 4th and short situation, and then punted to Likely for a TD. Terrible coaching decision.

Another line drive kick to Likely and a 65 yard return.
If I see the problem and you see the problem and 2 announcers see the problem, why can't our coaching staff see the problem?
Now announcer says Coach Rocco may not have the ability to kick it to the sideline.
.????? Seriously?

I think our players did everything they could, and we are being humbled again. What's the point? We've had some incredible individual performances today, and yet we are being routed. There are a ton of disadvantages given our conference differences, and number of scholarships being granted. Either compete, or drop the BCS.

Likely has 196 yds return -- we have 196 yds offense -- ouch

I'm usually not negative when I post and I actually think there are some very positive things from today.

But how is our Special Teams coach still employed at any level of coaching football? I wouldn't want him near my son's pop warner team.

How can we not just punt it out of bounds? 20 yards and out of bounds is better than what we are watching.

Why even bring the ST unit into the game? Turning it over on downs would yield better field position for our defense than what we are currently giving them.

After the first or second punt he should have told the punter "if it touches Likelys hands again today it will never touch your hands again. Kick it out of bounds!!!

9 returns for 261 yards
One more chance here, will they kick it too him?

OF COURSE!
Only 34 yards though.

Did even one punt or kickoff, not go to Likenly? How hard is it to not kick directly to a dangerous receiver? Evidently, it's hard.

Team played hard and as well as they could. Rocco deserves blame for big loss, as our kicking game killed us.

Enough said, Rocco has a lot to think about, many of us fail to understand why we allowed Likens to have a career day. Just kick the friggen ball away from him. Is that hard to understand? I think our team performed today, but the coaching staff did not. Just my humble opinion.

Actually thought our D held up okay. They've been playing a short field all day. O has a lot of work to do . . . don't get abandoning running game so early until this last drive. Nice to see a more balanced attack and Seth's TD but know it was against MD's 2nd string. Overall, this game and most of points are on our special teams along with terrible coverage and no tackling. Yoder has to try to kick the ball deep in end zone whenever possible. Punter has to learn how to kick the ball to right or left and out of bounds. Never thought ST could be worse than past couple of seasons, but they're looking pretty horrible . . . can only get better since they're at rock bottom as of today.

Anyone on this board who thought we could beat the Terps is unrealistic. But like many of you our special teams play is absolutely
abysmal. Now I blame Rocco first for not telling the special teams coach to kick away from Lively or aim for the side lines. Second,
our tackling today as been very poor as arm tackling seemed to be on the agenda for our defense. Dave Legg over past few years has
shown little to no improvement over the direction of Special teams. Helkowski is suppose to be a great punter and there was only one punt
that had any kind of hang time and that was the one kicked out of end zone in the first half. My fear of lack of depth on the line was showing and
against good FCS opponents we are going to have the exact same issue. Rocco you usually out coach opponents in the second half but you
got taken to school today in the second half.

I hate to lose, even when I expect to lose -- but saw many positives today and prefer to focus on those. We have room to improve. Looks like we did not get any real injuries today.

Post game DR talking about poor tackling and 3 kicks were to have been away from Likely and did not -- Thinks KL had positives for first start -- D performed well, espec with short fields -- lost Verlargo, hopes not for season -- saw glimpses of a team willing to fight, ran out of gas

Saw some positives today, Lauletta, Jacobi, at times the OL, but special teams is worse than bad. God awful. Disappointed in Helkowski. He is our first scholarship punter in maybe forever and he doesn't get good hang time and doesn't seem to be able to control the ball with his foot. Obviously Likely is a great athlete and runner but to allow them to set a Big 10 punt return record that has stood up since 1939 is just aweful.

TBS - unless you can come up with an extra $300k, we have to play the FBS schools. Or fold up shop, we need the money and we don't make enough on home games from our small ticket base.

On another note - only real disappointment was the continued kicking to Likely. I don't know how that happens all game. We have to figure that out.

It's a new season, but you can loo back on last year's threads (hell, the last FOUR years), and it's all a rerun. Complaints over the special teams and kickers, over and over and over......
If Helkowski can't kick it out of bounds when he's trying to kick it out of bounds, I mean, how hard can it be? Pick a side and wang away for crying out loud. Time to try a new punter, Broadus gets my vote. At least with Broadus punting the opponent has to prepare for fakes.

DT, you are right, I just checked my checking account, and I don't have an extra 300k in it. but I thought that that was an advantage UR had, we don't need the payoff.

It's an annual discussion, many of the players look forward to the ACC game, to show what they can do. Lots of good individual performances today. But the kicking game was horrible. It's hard to be competitive when you allow your opponent to take the ball over, in your territory, and you start from your 20. That was the biggest difference in the game today, in my opinion. A lot of guys did play at an FBS level.

Agree that kicking to Likely so many times is inexplicable. If Helkowski was asked to kick away from him, not sure why he couldnt do it. However, I came away from this game feeling really good about our team. I thought the D was ok considering the starting field position of their drives as well as the size and depth of the opponent. The offense put together 3 nice drives and dis not turn the ball over. Looking forward to playing some FCS teams and seeing thisnteam get on a roll.

can't explain or rationalize the punting thing,...what makes it even more puzzling is that we did change the kickoff strategy to squibbing the kicks in an apparent attempt to keep the kick away from Likely...would seem we would have done the same on punts...maybe Helkowski couldn't get it done for some reason?

but feel pretty good going into the real season beginning next week, unless there were a lot of injuries we're not aware of yet...

Lauletta exceeded my expectations...unless I missed it the offense and special teams had no turnovers...we won the turnover battle...don't think we had a penalty until well into the second half...our guys never looked scared, disorganized or overwhelmed by the Terps...

I'm think our guys are ready for our FCS schedule...

Go Spiders!

We have had the worst coverage on punts and kick offs last year and now this year.
HOW bad- Likely for MD broke a Terp record and a Big Ten record for the most yardage on returns.
But just keep playing the same awful coverage and see how bad you lose the next game.

We're not going to see a returner that good again this year. I'm probably going to regret this, but I'm hopeful things will look better against FCS teams. Certainly not a strength, but hopefully not a mortal weakness.

What happened to Vergos? I missed his injury.

I thought our O Line did a very good job today.

I have no words for the punting thing, it defies all logic.

That said, team looked ok. D had a number of stops on short fields and Lauletta didn't look completely in over his head today.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
We were supposed to lose by a lot to a Big 10 team and we did. Not really worth complaining about anything, IMO.

Everybody needs to chillax! (Learned that from my kids!). We will be pretty good. I base that on Green's performance and that of the O-Line. This will be a good and entertaining season. Take it to the bank and deposit it next to you spare 300 large!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT