ADVERTISEMENT

Tyler entering portal

I'm looking forward to watching every minute and will always support our guys! Will be exciting to see our new backcourt, more Noyes, and to see what Tanner and Smith look like.

I'm looking forward to watching every minute and will always support our guys! Will be exciting to see our new backcourt, more Noyes, and to see what Tanner and Smith look like.
Are there 4 of 10 that we haven’t seen at the Robins Center?

I’m always excited to see how we look. I’m also being realistic that we will have new starters at spots 1-4 and the key returnees either didn’t meet preseason hopes or were limited minute guys.

I don’t know that it’s the least talented team as suggested above but there are a lot of unproven commodities.

In order to be better this year than we were last year, we need King to be a second or third team caliber point guard for us, Dji and Hunt to stay healthy and give us a good offense-defense combo at the two, Roche to become a dominant scorer, Noyes to show us he is the real deal right away, Bigs to own the glass and be a physical scorer inside, and Quinn to be a consistent 12-15 ppg guy for us, and several other teams in our league to have major injuries.

Honestly I don’t give a rat’s A$$ what Mooney has to say. I bet I could write exactly what he will say in his choke and puke comments.
Tyler was a once in a Mooney career talent. His coming to UR was a miracle and most likely an accident to start with. The kid loves rebounding and Mooney hates it. How can a team be so bad that they can’t win half of their games in the horrible A-10 with a talent like Burton. It’s damn near impossible for a coaching staff to achieve that abysmal result.
Tyler received a wonderful degree from the University of Richmond and would have only showed he didn’t deserve it if he had returned to this dumpster fire for his last year. Good luck to Tyler and I hope he doesn’t go to Georgetown.

Wow. So, Grant and Nick staying 6 years, Jacob and Nate 5, and Tyler entering the portal after 4 years means Mooney has destroyed the program because his players don't have loyalty and just chase the money???? Sorry, but that is a ridiculous thing to say.
Yep, that was great. It was the ONE positive thing I could say about Mooney during this changing college basketball landscape. I thought it might make a difference in this turbulent time. But once money entered the equation and players actually realized they wanted to win, the house of cards fell apart.

Mooney will not survive, even here with his 6 layers of bubble wrap. If he can't keep his players and has revolving teams each year, there is no chance in hell he can win enough.

The dude has a UR degree. No different than anyone who got an undergraduate degree and moved on to a different school for more education. He was gifted another year of basketball eligibility the pandemic. GIFTED.
So, I wanted to clarify my Tyler Burton comment. You guys still won't agree (and that's ok), but I'll comment anyway.

Tyler was a great player obviously. One of my very favorites for quite awhile. I am glad he was a Spider, but I am equally disappointed that he is leaving us. His accomplishments as a Spider are negated as a result. If he is going to the NBA, I am ecstaticly happy for him! If he leaves UR for another school, then his loyalty to being a Spider takes a huge hit. Period. Especially if he or any other player hasn't finished their degree. Tyler did graduate, so if he was going to another school to pursue a Masters or some further education, then that's cool. But he is moving on because we are not good enough for him anymore. He loses Spider loyalty for that.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree Mooney's main selling point (family, player loyalty) has taken a huge hit this year. We now have 4 players enter the portal this year.

Disagree on TB not being a real spider. He was here for 4 years, got his degree. The only reason he has a 5th year is because of Covid, he should be able to enjoy that bonus year, however he likes. And really can you blame him. Would you want to return to team where you did everything that was asked of you and more and the team finished 12 in the league last year and then lost a bunch of core players from it. I wouldn't. I don't blame him for wanting to spend his last year in college on a team that has an opportunity to play in March, cause that in all liklihood is not us.
I'm a Spider to the core. Yes, I blame him for leaving for another team. Would I be excited about returning to a 12th place team? I'd be disappointed, but I wouldn't bail. That's my team, my school. There is no other.

I am really kind of torn about this. Tyler was an important part of our team, and we will miss him. He stayed for four years and graduated when he could have left before, so I respect/appreciate that.

The idealistic part of me agrees with Mr. Spider's most recent post. But the pragmatic part of me would probably have made the same decision. It's hard to turn down potentially a lot of $ combined with what is likely not going to be a fun season.

I just wish he had decided sooner so we could have been more aggressive looking for a similar player in the portal. But maybe he had the same inner debate I just described.

I wish him the best, unless he joins Nelson.

Yep, that was great. It was the ONE positive thing I could say about Mooney during this changing college basketball landscape. I thought it might make a difference in this turbulent time. But once money entered the equation and players actually realized they wanted to win, the house of cards fell apart.

Mooney will not survive, even here with his 6 layers of bubble wrap. If he can't keep his players and has revolving teams each year, there is no chance in hell he can win enough.
"Players actually realized they wanted to win".......LOL. Said only about 14 months after winning the A-10 tourney and beating Iowa in the NCAA tourney.

I’m perfectly fine with Tyler deciding to enter the portal. First, he may not go to another school at all. He’s looking at all options, which is what any player should do. He obviously knows what the scoop is if he stays at UR and just because he entered the portal doesn’t mean he can’t withdraw. Richmond has plenty of roster room. I guess there are only a few days left for him to decide if he is going the pro route or not and that is the first no turning back decision he has to make.

Like others have said, he is a UR grad so that’s a great thing and he did resist leaving last year amid a rebuilding type year and instead stayed to get his degree. Personally, I never liked the NCAA decision to add a year of eligibility due to Covid and I will be glad when the extra year is no longer a factor. One more offseason to go.

So, I wanted to clarify my Tyler Burton comment. You guys still won't agree (and that's ok), but I'll comment anyway.

Tyler was a great player obviously. One of my very favorites for quite awhile. I am glad he was a Spider, but I am equally disappointed that he is leaving us. His accomplishments as a Spider are negated as a result. If he is going to the NBA, I am ecstaticly happy for him! If he leaves UR for another school, then his loyalty to being a Spider takes a huge hit. Period. Especially if he or any other player hasn't finished their degree. Tyler did graduate, so if he was going to another school to pursue a Masters or some further education, then that's cool. But he is moving on because we are not good enough for him anymore. He loses Spider loyalty for that.
He’s leaving to get a masters in basketball so he can get the best job possible. It’s pretty much the same thing. He feels staying at UR won’t get him to that level. That’s okay by me. His life and he’s gotta do what’s best. He played 4 years and graduated, it’s not at all like other transfers IMO.

We have some speculation on Twitter that Tyler will be withdrawing from the draft, as well as a prediction that Villanova will be a favorite to land him. For those unfamiliar, this Trilly Donovan guy has been pretty accurate with his “reporting” this portal season.

while not all fall into the stereotypes, I think the prototype VCU recruit is tough, athletic, and aggressive. skills and basketball IQ are obviously important but secondary to those 3 traits.

as for a UR recruit ... skills and basketball IQ come first. the rest is obviously important but secondary.

What would a VCU type be? Curious to know 😏
Who knows, probably a dog whistle comment considering the source....Id say they play hard and don't complain but I'm not sure I saw that from Jaynel at all times last year. I remember early in the season him and Quinn bickering on court and thought to myself that couldn't be good. I couldn't really recall a PG scolding his teammates like that over a miscommunication that he played a part in and didn't think it was the best look of someone who is supposed to be a leader on the team and handed the keys.

And as EL suggested, going to be a much different VCU team going forward. Will be curious to see if they make the transition to a more offensive minded coach. My guess is with the support and institutional alignment, mixed in with how terrible the A10 has become, they will probably be just fine.

VCU has been recruiting several of the same players we have over the years (Noyes, Nelson, Smith come to mind), suggesting they're a completely different breed is ridiculous.

The difference between the players in the programs are the schools willingness to support it. And VCU does that better without a doubt.

Our record vs them is inexcusable no matter how you chop it up, especially to those who live in the city and deal with it daily. I imagine it pisses off the players, but I am not sure how upset those higher up's are when we lose to them. And I am not sure how much the players are briefed on the importance of beating them each year as opposed to it "just being another game". From the outside it doesn't appear its anymore important than any other A10 game. They revel in taking our lunch money while our administration cries out "please don't hurt us" and pat themselves on the back for "competing".

This isn't your fathers VCU, they are no where near what they were a decade ago and we still lose to them at the same clip. Hopefully with this new system they're putting in place, we wont be as unsuccessful vs them. But hope is a dangerous drug.

but I am not sure how upset those higher up's are when we lose to them.
This is the primary problem. They don't give a damn about it. I guarantee you if we were getting outranked in the US News and World Report academic rankings by Radford every year, everyone who could be fired would be until we fixed that. And I'm not suggesting that basketball is more important than academics, but the double standard approach we take is just mind-boggling.

Who knows, probably a dog whistle comment considering the source....Id say they play hard and don't complain but I'm not sure I saw that from Jaynel at all times last year. I remember early in the season him and Quinn bickering on court and thought to myself that couldn't be good. I couldn't really recall a PG scolding his teammates like that over a miscommunication that he played a part in and didn't think it was the best look of someone who is supposed to be a leader on the team and handed the keys.

And as EL suggested, going to be a much different VCU team going forward. Will be curious to see if they make the transition to a more offensive minded coach. My guess is with the support and institutional alignment, mixed in with how terrible the A10 has become, they will probably be just fine.

VCU has been recruiting several of the same players we have over the years (Noyes, Nelson, Smith come to mind), suggesting they're a completely different breed is ridiculous.

The difference between the players in the programs are the schools willingness to support it. And VCU does that better without a doubt.

Our record vs them is inexcusable no matter how you chop it up, especially to those who live in the city and deal with it daily. I imagine it pisses off the players, but I am not sure how upset those higher up's are when we lose to them. And I am not sure how much the players are briefed on the importance of beating them each year as opposed to it "just being another game". From the outside it doesn't appear its anymore important than any other A10 game. They revel in taking our lunch money while our administration cries out "please don't hurt us" and pat themselves on the back for "competing".

This isn't your fathers VCU, they are no where near what they were a decade ago and we still lose to them at the same clip. Hopefully with this new system they're putting in place, we wont be as unsuccessful vs them. But hope is a dangerous drug.
"probably a dog whistle comment considering the source" Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Almost always out of pocket. I can say it matters to the players as you mentioned...they hate losing to them just as much as we fans do.

Sadly, this is accurate. If you go to VCU, you probably are going to go the tournament 2-3 times during your tenure. We have a once every 6 years trend going for us. I know if I were a kid without an allegiance where I would want to go.

and if it is a local kid, the head to head winning percentage between our schools is quite possibly the biggest joke of all.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Sadly, this is accurate. If you go to VCU, you probably are going to go the tournament 2-3 times during your tenure. We have a once every 6 years trend going for us. I know if I were a kid without an allegiance where I would want to go.
VCU hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2016. It's fine if you would choose that route, but some might say they would rather win a tourney game and advance to the round of 32 than just get there a few times. I bet all of our guys on the 2022 team would not trade places with the VCU guys.

VCU hasn't won an NCAA tourney game since 2016. It's fine if you would choose that route, but some might say they would rather win a tourney game and advance to the round of 32 than just get there a few times. I bet all of our guys on the 2022 team would not trade places with the VCU guys.

ALL IS WELL!!!

Even in 2032

This is like saying "I bet no one living in poverty in Sudan would have traded places with someone living in Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941." No kidding! But looking forward, would most people rather live in poverty or move to Hawaii? That's the point.

This is like saying "I bet no one living in poverty in Sudan would have traded places with someone living in Pearl Harbor Dec. 7, 1941." No kidding! But looking forward, would most people rather live in poverty or move to Hawaii? That's the point.
Because living in poverty in Sudan definitely compares to college kids winning a game in the NCAA tourney, right? And, same with Pearl Harbor and making the dance, but losing a couple times. Wow, what a terrible analogy.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT