ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer rules

spiderman

Spider's Club
Jun 7, 2001
Sophomore Austin Nichols at Memphis decides to transfer but Memphis doesn't release him for a week or so, probably pissed because he's announcing for some reason in July which I agree isn't very considerate. When they finally grant his release there are conditions. Can't transfer within the league, or to other rivals, or to anyone on their 2015/16 OOC schedule for some reason even though he'll be sitting out this year anyway. These types of restrictions are allowed by the NCAA, though that may not be for long.

Nichols hires a lawyer and hits social media bashing Memphis. Next thing you know, his release is unconditional. Looks like he'll end up at UVA, one of the restricted schools by Memphis.

This is a major precedent being set. I'm not opposed to players rights. But I can sympathize with Memphis though. They feel there was tampering. Who knows for sure, but it seems very strange for a player to request a transfer in July. What prompted that, if not tampering? But unless you can prove it, not much you can do. You lose the public opinion fight every time when you refuse to let a kid transfer. Conditions are usually accepted, but in this case Memphis loses the player and looks bad too. Wonder if this emboldens future transfers to fight any conditions.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/teel-blog/dp-teel-time-austin-nichols-post.html#page=1

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT