ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I remember Trey Wertz went there a few years ago. Later transferred to Notre Dame.

Santa Clara has a compact, attractive, mission-style campus but is located in an otherwise unremarkable semi-urban environment adjacent to a train station and airport. Have spent a few weeks on separate occasions staying just a few blocks from there.

As with many Jesuit schools, they had good hoops success in the '50s and '60s, and then of course Steve Nash helped put them on the modern map. Sendek has done okay (56% sound familiar?) but hasn't gotten them back to the dance.

Hadn't noticed Garrett Johnson was transferring out of Princeton. We were involved him out of high school.

Looks like he was diagnosed with a benign tumor in his leg. Took this past year off from Princeton for chemotherapy. Says he’s now healthy with four years of eligibility. Wow…had no clue as I’d stopped following him after he committed to Princeton.

who is up for starting a message board NIL? I'm in for five bucks. Anyone own a company that can be where the image and likeness are used?

I heard on the radio the other day someone say - I think it was Tom Izzo - that over half the guys in the portal from last year had worse years statistically than at original school - meaning the grass is not always greener.

If this is true - I don't think this is all you can look at either. Cause a kid who is maybe playing low D1 level, puts up good numbers and moves up to high mid-major or P6, might see minutes and stats drop, but they make NCAA tourney - is that unsuccessful? Maybe for some kids, but not others. But I do believe - not all these moves work out.

I heard on the radio the other day someone say - I think it was Tom Izzo - that over half the guys in the portal from last year had worse years statistically than at original school - meaning the grass is not always greener.

If this is true - I don't think this is all you can look at either. Cause a kid who is maybe playing low D1 level, puts up good numbers and moves up to high mid-major or P6, might see minutes and stats drop, but they make NCAA tourney - is that unsuccessful? Maybe for some kids, but not others. But I do believe - not all these moves work out.

or even for some guys it might mean more to go up against better competition without necessarily putting up the same monster stats that you had at a lower level with or without the NCAA appearance.

Goose's brother is leaving North Alabama. He played 8 minutes in their season opener and that was it. Injury I guess? Can't find any info.

Robbie Beran looking to spend his final year somewhere other than Evanston...
Will be interesting to see what teams express interest in this local Richmond player. Wonder what he is looking for. I believe he had a smaller role at Northwestern this year, but Collins appreciated what he contributed. They did make the NCAAs so not chasing that dream.

Reactions: urfan1
long list for a guy shooting 35.8% from 2 and 26.5% from 3 last year.
definitely a seller's market.

Known as a defensive player and tough rebounder. He doesn't shoot a lot from deep for a guard, which probably a good thing considering those shooting numbers but not great for our needs.

But yeah, even his 2-pt percentage wasn't good last year. Better as a frosh at 54%, but smaller sample size.

Looks like we're still on Tedrick Wilcox.

Sort of feels like a sad list we are competing against there…
I was thinking the same thing. Felt like once again - we are searching the under the radar kid and hope he over-achieves.

Will be interesting to see what teams express interest in this local Richmond player. Wonder what he is looking for. I believe he had a smaller role at Northwestern this year, but Collins appreciated what he contributed. They did make the NCAAs so not chasing that dream.
We should be selling him hard - but I could also see Odom at VCU liking him for his system. Remember - its not Havoc over there anymore.

Looks like we're still on Tedrick Wilcox.

Sort of feels like a sad list we are competing against there…
We need shooters. In 2 years, he was 106-285 (37.2%) from 3. Good size at 6'6. I don't care who else is looking at him. If he makes us better, and I think he would, I would love to have him.

I was thinking the same thing. Felt like once again - we are searching the under the radar kid and hope he over-achieves.
It looks like we have reached out to all kinds of guys. We shouldn't just focus on radar or over radar guys. There is no guarantee we will get any big time guys, so if an under the radar guy makes us better, we should go after him. A 6'6 guy who appears to be a good shooter (also 40-51 for 78.4% at the FT line last year) seems like a good fit to me.

We need shooters. In 2 years, he was 106-285 (37.2%) from 3. Good size at 6'6. I don't care who else is looking at him. If he makes us better, and I think he would, I would love to have him.
deep range, too.

Do you still want him if he can’t defend? Or is slower than molasses. Or can’t jump over a nickel?

I don’t disagree we need shooters, but I suspect there’s some kind of hesitation for him if that’s his list.

Ftr I have no opinion as to any of the above, it just feels like a soft list.

Do you still want him if he can’t defend? Or is slower than molasses. Or can’t jump over a nickel?

I don’t disagree we need shooters, but I suspect there’s some kind of hesitation for him if that’s his list.

Ftr I have no opinion as to any of the above, it just feels like a soft list.
Well, I doubt the negatives are as dramatic as you might be making them here. His highlights don't look like that is the case. I'm not saying all conference or anything, but I think he could play at this level. I don't think a guy that is super slow and can't jump could score 18 against a Miami team that made the final four, or 17 in their conference tourney game against FDU. And, unless we want to have another losing season, we need more help than a lot of teams that might not have a lot of interest in him. Maybe plenty of other teams have a lot of guys already on their teams they like a lot better than him. I'm not sure we can say that right now. Also, I'm glad we didn't worry about other offers when we offered Tyler. His list seemed a little soft as well. From what I have seen, Wilcox could help us.

Last edited:
From what I have seen, Wilcox could help us, and there is always a chance a guy like this could get better and better his last 2 years.

Wilcox doesn’t have 2 years. Just 1. Grad transfer. He played two years of d2 ball b4 Brooklyn.

We could take a 1 year guy but our stated focus is multi year guys so I’m skeptical of being strong on 1 year guys until proven otherwise.

Wilcox doesn’t have 2 years. Just 1. Grad transfer. He played two years of d2 ball b4 Brooklyn.

We could take a 1 year guy but our stated focus is multi year guys so I’m skeptical of being strong on 1 year guys until proven otherwise.
You are correct. 1 year left. I have edited my previous post. Thanks. And, unless we find better options, I would still take him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT