ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Three schools didn't stop us from going after Bamisile.

Anyway, have to think these super late portal entry guys already have big NIL deals lined up somewhere. Mulcahy from Rutgers was another big one today.
Certainly didn't stop the Rams.

so 2 spots left.
thought we were done at guard but I like the Tyne commitment.
now I'm confident (?) we're done at guard. a least we should be.
I'd like a big who can compete for time with Walz behind Quinn.
I think with all the guard pickups that Mooney still sees Roche as a forward.
I think pending another forward addition, Roche is competing with Bailey, Noyes and Tanner at SF. and I assume Roche goes into the summer leading in that battle.
right now Noyes can play SF but he's also the primary (only) backup to Bigelow at big forward.

so 2 spots left.
I think pending another forward addition, Roche is competing with Bailey, Noyes and Tanner at SF. and I assume Roche goes into the summer leading in that battle.
right now Noyes can play SF but he's also the primary (only) backup to Bigelow at big forward.
Noyes will get abused playing the 4 by many teams. He just is too slight of stature to defend against bigger stronger players who play that position.

Noyes will get abused playing the 4 by many teams. He just is too slight of stature to defend against bigger stronger players who play that position.
Maybe a few guys here and there, but there are not very many big time "4s" in the A-10 and it's not like a bunch of teams post up their so called 4s down low anyway. And, I could see a bigger, stronger "4" having a hard time staying with Noyes, especially from 3, as well.

he didn't look that thin to me. he was only 10 lbs lighter than Bigelow last season. he can carry more weight.
he'll have help behind him with Quinn/Walz if someone bullies him.

Reactions: VT4700
so 2 spots left.
When calling Roche a forward, I think it just means not a ball handler.

When calling Roche a forward, I think it just means not a ball handler.
Playing the 3, always seemed like a better fit for Roche. He doesn't have the lateral quickness or ball handling ability to play guard. Yes, like I said about Noyes, he will be an athletic disadvantage against some 3 we play, but still think given the make-up of our roster, he will be a "forward" this year for us.

I compare him a bit to Ryan Butler. He has the ability to be a crafty defender and plays hard at defense. He is obviously a better shooter than Butler, also a bit shorter than Butler as well.

Butler shot 35/34/36/39 from 3 in the 4 years he played (excluding his RS season of 2 games) on volume that fluctuated between 92 attempts (JR year) and 142 attempts (SR year.)

That's pretty solid for college, so I wouldn't say Noyes is a lock to be a better shooter than Butler. 39% on 142 attempts is very good. Time will tell.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Butler became a gritty player who did not shy away from the big shot either. Bunch of tough minded players all at once with Gonzo, Smitty, KA, and Butler, Geriot. Noise definitely has the advantage with his hops, and I do think he can be as good an outside shooter as Butler. Hope he can develop his overall game in the same way.

so 2 spots left.
Last season we had 7 of 13 scholarships at 6’6” or taller. So far this year we have 4. I really think we need 1 more, preferably 2.

Reactions: urfan1
Last season we had 7 of 13 scholarships at 6’6” or taller. So far this year we have 4. I really think we need 1 more, preferably 2.
We have 5. Quinn, Walz, Bigs, Noyes, and Tanner. With 2 spots left, and some young guards already on board with multiple years left, I agree it would be good to use one on some size, but I could see Roche or Tanner getting some good time with 2 guards out there, so with Quinn and Walz at the "big" spot, that leaves Bigs and Noyes at the last spot. So, while it looks like the roster could maybe use more size, I do think there are still some solid looking lineup possibilities without it.

Last edited:
We have 5. Quinn, Walz, Bigs, Noyes, and Tanner. With 2 spots left, and some young guards already on board with multiple years left, I agree it would be good to use one on some size, but I could see Roche or Tanner getting some good time with 2 guards out there, so with Quinn and Walz at the "big" spot, that leaves Bigs and Noyes at the last spot. So, while it looks like the roster could maybe use more size, I do think there are still some solid looking lineup possibilities without it.
I think I have still been counting Tanner at 6’5”. (But then again, how was Cayo from recruitment to first game?) I am not saying we need a direct replacement for Grace, just I would be looking for someone that could back up Bigs if I was on the staff.

Last edited:
I think I have still been counting Tanner at 6’5”. (But then again, how was Cayo from recruitment to first game?) I am not saying we need a direct replacement for Grace, just I would be looking for someone that could back up Bigs if it was on the staff.
I hear you, and my guess is we probably are.

We will be out rebounded by 15+ a game this year. Without Tyler, opponents will be dumping the ball in the zone and going after for shot after shot.

We will be out rebounded by 15+ a game this year. Without Tyler, opponents will be dumping the ball in the zone and going after for shot after shot.
That's a lot, even for us. But yes, the strategy against us always has been to crash the glass on both ends because we don't even try to go after it offensively and never have been great at it defensively. Losing our probably best rebounder ever in the Mooney era, I would expect us to once again be really low on the rebounding rankings next year.

Yes, rebounding is a big concern. Hopefully Bigelow has a strong back. I know his dad sees him as a point guard - and he does have some good PG skills, but think Dji and Noyes are going to need to provide some rebounding from the wing.
"Hopefully Bigelow has a strong back. I know his dad sees him as a point guard"

I read that without punctuation 🤣

While everyone has their opinion on the direction of our program in regards to Coach M., negative comments lombasting coach and/or the program has really hurt us dramatically. I am not pointing fingers, we will get past this! One Richmond!!

While everyone has their opinion on the direction of our program in regards to Coach M., negative comments lombasting coach and/or the program has really hurt us dramatically. I am not pointing fingers, we will get past this! One Richmond!!

it's the fans fault of course! Certainly not the guy that has been running the show for two decades and is coated in 200 layers of teflon

Just curious - can you provide tangible examples of your premise? Facts?

BTW, the Demarr Langford watch is at 81 days and counting. I wake up every day checking to see the updates.
I was thinking the same thing. Makes you wonder what he is looking for, doesn't it? And, will he be happy and committed where he ends up? His Dad put something out about a week ago about being disappointed in people he trusted. I don't know what to think about him. Talent wise, I want him, but it just seems strange to visit a few schools a few months ago, and then no decision and not much else since.

he's more patient than I could be. there are still teams with spots. he's got to be pretty high on the list of top remaining guys by now.

Dee Barnes to High Point. Did not realize it, but apparently he's Tubby's nephew.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was an awfully quick departure for GG. I guess he was just a stopgap since Tubby stepped down midseason, but I wonder why they gave him another full season without also giving him a bit more time. Unless there were extenuating circumstances, but I never saw anything suggesting that.

Yeah, that was an awfully quick departure for GG. I guess he was just a stopgap since Tubby stepped down midseason, but I wonder why they gave him another full season without also giving him a bit more time. Unless there were extenuating circumstances, but I never saw anything suggesting that.
guess the family isn't holding any grudges.

it's ok to multi-task and all, but seeing all these 2024 offers and now 2025 offers ...
can we please finish the 2023-24 roster?
I mean, no hurry. it's only the middle of June.
We have finished…4 FR and 3 transfers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT