ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

let's be honest, Trap. nobody at Syracuse cares how Carmelo Anthony did in his classes his one year in school. if they could have paid him NIL money, it would have been well spent.
Totally fine - that is a business decision, and for a guy like Melo who knows - I am going to the NBA to make millions anyways, he can afford to skip class and then be on the hook to repay that NIL money. And the donor might say - no problem here, we got the kid for 1 year and brought home a title - all good.

But right now - you got some guys bringing down 6 figures, and they are good college players but are they going to make it as a pro - maybe/maybe not. Just makes some of these donors think twice about "buying" a kid. And also - if the money is forfeited, it channels money to the low end schools with no budget and gives them some breathing room.

But like I said - the other option is get out of the way and eliminate all rules. Why even make them go to class at all? Just let them play, train, and get paid and go pro. Would you stop a Computer Science major from just taking IT and Computer classes and then dropping out after 2 years with no degree to work for Google - don't think so. Would you tell that kid - hey, you need to take an English class or Biology class, that mean nothing to your future career? Probably not - so why are we telling these athletes, you have to go to class? Will some fall flat on their face with no degree and no professional sports - they sure will. But guess what - they can always come back to school when that time comes, and at that time - they will have to pay to attend class, when they could have done it for free on scholarship.

The guy really isn’t a 5 at all but right now if no Quinn or Walz available what would be Mooney’s frontcourt players of three or even two? Maybe Mooney knows something about Tyler leaning towards coming back? I hope so, and if that the case kudos to Mooney for the relationships he has built with his players.
Well, shoot, if every team lost its 2 top bigs, who would they have out there?

and if losing those guys is no big deal because we have better guys taking their minutes off the bench why didn't those guys just play more last year in the first place hmm??
teams lose starters every year. and sometimes teams get better the following year.

Reactions: VT4700
can't plan for a rash of injuries, but you have to plan for 1.
if Quinn rolls an ankle, we aren't asking Walz to play 40. neither Burton or Bigelow should be asked to cover Roosevelt Wheeler.
But, in your previous examples from past threads, Sal could?? It's a guards game. I'm just not worried about a big going off. Wheeler could score 25 and they could still lose.

But, in your previous examples from past threads, Sal could?? It's a guards game. I'm just not worried about a big going off. Wheeler could score 25 and they could still lose.
do you need 11 guards/wings on a 13 man roster? a bunch of them aren't going to play. so yes I'd rather have a Sal/Kuany than an 11th guard/wing. he doesn't have bulk but at least he has length.

but yes I'd rather my 4/5 third big guy have more weight than Sal/Kuany.

Which is what...put a 6'9 194 pound guy on a guy like Wheeler? I think my question was what would Kuany be good at for 15 minutes a game? Not just do for 15 minutes a game.
Improvement over what Mooney has now IMO but of course a better player is preferable to cover the other team’s big for short spans of minutes. Doesn’t have to be KK but with bodies needed to fill out the roster, that position should get one.

Which is what...put a 6'9 194 pound guy on a guy like Wheeler? I think my question was what would Kuany be good at for 15 minutes a game? Not just do for 15 minutes a game.
While we are dogging on Kuany (who isn't that great), lets just wait and see who Mooney fills these last roster spots with, cause he has done way way worse than the guy VCU just signed.

Improvement over what Mooney has now IMO but of course a better player is preferable to cover the other team’s big for short spans of minutes. Doesn’t have to be KK but with bodies needed to fill out the roster, that position should get one.
And, again, we switch to "but what about Mooney". Doesn't matter if VCU signs a talented guy or a not so talented guy....it will always go back to Mooney around here.

While we are dogging on Kuany (who isn't that great), lets just wait and see who Mooney fills these last roster spots with, cause he has done way way worse than the guy VCU just signed.
I've already said I'd have been fine adding a 6'9" Cal starter as a depth piece.
just saying we don't need to fawn over every move VCU makes. I don't think this is one of their big ones.

Reactions: VT4700
Well, the difference was some were not dogging on Kuany. They gave Odom and VCU credit for signing a guy that you know Mooney would be ridiculed for signing. And, yet, even with this signing, it still can be turned into negative Mooney talk on here. Pretty remarkable by you guys when you think of it. The ability to take any topic, any event that happens, and turn it into anti Mooney talk.....impressive.

I think some misinterpreted my point.

I expect him to be the 4th string big, and 12th in minutes on their team.

I also think 3-29 in the 2023 PAC12 is better than 4-28 in the 2016 WAC.

And that 81%FT/40%/30% .420eFG in 25 minutes in the 2023 Pac12 is better than
43%FT/35%/0% .348eFG in 13 minutes in the 2016 CAA.

Not sure what other 1 year 6'9" or taller guy to compare him to.

It also appears he approached them. That seems to indicate your recruiting process is working.
As to how good any of their player will be or if the team will play together is another question.

And anyone upset about what Mooney hasn't done this recruiting season should probably wait until August 1.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
And, again, we switch to "but what about Mooney". Doesn't matter if VCU signs a talented guy or a not so talented guy....it will always go back to Mooney around here.
Respectfully, what you talking about? I’m talking about the Spiders roster and is Mooney not the coach in charge of that roster? How does this sound? “improvement over what the spiders have now“

And get off exactly 15 minutes, could be 7, 9, 13 and when I talked about KK fouling, my visual thought on playing was rather see him pick up the fouls, than either Tyler or Bigs having to cover the big man. More times than not the weakest FT shooter on any team is the bigs.

Well, the difference was some were not dogging on Kuany. They gave Odom and VCU credit for signing a guy that you know Mooney would be ridiculed for signing. And, yet, even with this signing, it still can be turned into negative Mooney talk on here. Pretty remarkable by you guys when you think of it. The ability to take any topic, any event that happens, and turn it into anti Mooney talk.....impressive.
Odom took a roster of 3 and now has 11 signed players in the past 6 weeks. Mooney took a roster of 12 and now has 10 signed players (including Burton who is a maybe at this point). In a span of 6 weeks he rebuilt an entire roster as a new coach, while our 18 year tenured coach has done basically nothing.

Now maybe we get some great late additions in the portal and if we do, I will come on and give Mooney credit but as of today that is not the case. You can term that anti-Mooney, but to me it is just the reality of the situation as it stands right now.

Respectfully, what you talking about? I’m talking about the Spiders roster and is Mooney not the coach in charge of that roster? How does this sound? “improvement over what the spiders have now“

And get off exactly 15 minutes, could be 7, 9, 13 and when I talked about KK fouling, my visual thought on playing was rather see him pick up the fouls, than either Tyler or Bigs having to cover the big man. More times than not the weakest FT shooter on any team is the bigs.
All good. I agree about wanting improvement over our current roster. If we can land a key 10-15 minute inside guy, I will take him right now, especially with a few extra spots available. But, if he were Kuany, I would not be excited about him and would not want him getting much time at all. Just my opinion. I want to see more Walz. I want to see Noyes and Tanner.

Now, could we get someone better than Kuany to do what you want? Maybe, maybe not. You have to look at it from a player's wants as well. You and others can say Mooney should just "go get a big who can play 10 minutes for us in case something happens to Quinn or Walz". Now, go sell that to a guy in the transfer portal. He knows Quinn is here and likely starting. He knows we have a 6'11 back up probably ready to go. So, does a decent transfer big really want to come and "maybe" get some playing time, but maybe not as much as he hoped?

Odom took a roster of 3 and now has 11 signed players in the past 6 weeks. Mooney took a roster of 12 and now has 10 signed players (including Burton who is a maybe at this point). In a span of 6 weeks he rebuilt an entire roster as a new coach, while our 18 year tenured coach has done basically nothing.

Now maybe we get some great late additions in the portal and if we do, I will come on and give Mooney credit but as of today that is not the case. You can term that anti-Mooney, but to me it is just the reality of the situation as it stands right now.
I hope we can add more, but as far as your roster of 12 to roster of 10, I would take our 10 man roster with King over our 12 man roster minus King, but with Nelson, Randolph, and Dread. I think you are definitely downplaying King if you say we have done basically nothing this off season. So, yes, it would be nice to get another guy or two, but at least we got an impact player at a key position, which IMO, makes us already much better than last year. But, to be a lot better we probably need another impact player (Langford?).

Yes, and we lost 3 starters off that team and replaced them with only 1 player of starting caliber potential.
In my opinion 2 of the starters we lost are addition by subtraction. And all 3 of them should not have been starting in my humble opinion

Now, go sell that to a guy in the transfer portal.
That's the job of the guy we are paying 7 figures.

If Mooney is telling transfers "we have a starting center, come here to play 10 minutes a game as his backup" then I would say that's an awful sales pitch likely to lead to awful results. What he should be doing (and maybe is, I don't know) is saying, "we have an open competition for every spot. Best man plays, regardless of tenure on the team, what they've done in the past, etc. Beat him out and you will earn your spot."

I like Neal, but his play wasn't so eye opening last year that we should be talking about him as a guaranteed starter. I'd love to see us go grab someone that will push him for playing time.

That's the job of the guy we are paying 7 figures.

If Mooney is telling transfers "we have a starting center, come here to play 10 minutes a game as his backup" then I would say that's an awful sales pitch likely to lead to awful results. What he should be doing (and maybe is, I don't know) is saying, "we have an open competition for every spot. Best man plays, regardless of tenure on the team, what they've done in the past, etc. Beat him out and you will earn your spot."

I like Neal, but his play wasn't so eye opening last year that we should be talking about him as a guaranteed starter. I'd love to see us go grab someone that will push him for playing time.
Transfers know though. They know who we have. It's always about competition, but many transfers want more of a sure thing....many are probably in the portal because playing time didn't work out at their last spot. And, there are just less minutes for a big if he doesn't beat a guy out. A reserve guard or wing guy can still find minutes. A reserve big maybe not.

You and others can say Mooney should just "go get a big who can play 10 minutes for us in case something happens to Quinn or Walz". Now, go sell that to a guy in the transfer portal. He knows Quinn is here and likely starting. He knows we have a 6'11 back up probably ready to go. So, does a decent transfer big really want to come and "maybe" get some playing time, but maybe not as much as he hoped?
totally agree. we have 2 true, kind of old school centers. I'd love to add a Gus Larson type, but with 2 true centers already it's probably doubtful. I think the 3rd "big" would be more of a forward who'd compete with or backup Bigelow and also compete at the 5 (more with Walz than Quinn). a guy like Grace, Harper, Giddings, etc...
there's got to be another TJ out there.

Only thing I can say for Odom at VCU with all his transfers is I think he has a good mix coming in when you speak of conference and going up or down in terms of tranferring, which I think you need to be successful in the portal.

He has 2 of his guys from Utah State, so they will bring some stability knowing the coach. Not to mention they were double digit scorers for him and have experience at mid-major level.

Nelson from UR. Lateral move and I think it is yet to be determined is Nelson pretty good and was in the wrong system at UR, or was he not good enough for A10 competition. Time will tell.

Bamisile - local kid who has played at Va Tech, GW, Oklahoma, SO has ecxperience at high levels, and put up numbers at GW. High end recruit out of HS. Think he can play at A10 level, but does he fit in with Odom system.

Wheeler - local kid played at Louisville. Might have been over his head there, but moving down to A10, might be the right fit.

Kuany Kuany - coming from Pac12, unknown. What is interesting though - he is from Australia, along with one of Utah State players transferring in - so that might be a pipeline they use. Will be interesting to see.

But you can see - most of the players are transferring lateral or down. So that is likely the reason they are still ranked high in the A10 even with all the departures.

See, you need to leak this type of info to someone, to link to someone, to message to someon else on the board and create some separation - so that we can get the details :) :) :).
Think About It GIF by Identity

See, you need to leak this type of info to someone, to link to someone, to message to someone else on the board and create some separation - so that we can get the details :) :) :).
Would that someone be you?

Who Reed? If the reason he de committed was true...I'll pass
The reason he gave was to get good playing time right away, but maybe SDad knows a lot more about it. If playing time was the issue. I guess Tulsa guaranteed that, or he just saw no competition in front of him there. If he is a good player, it certainly seems like our system would have been a good fit for him, and even if Tyler came back, if Reed were good enough, he could start with Tyler, or if not, there was still a big path to good playing time this year and a lot of playing time the following year with Bigs, Tyler, amd Quinn gone. But, maybe he wants to start from day 1?? Geez, a little arrogant if so. Who knows with kids these days? I do wonder how his game will translate to college. He did seem a little slow and maybe not very athletic. I guess we will find out, but I definitely would have taking him here.

I never saw anything published about Reed's decommit. Will be interesting because he does seem to lack athleticism, but some guys are so skilled and can process the game so quickly that they overcome and thrive. Time will tell.
It had absolutely nothing to do with pt. We had a nice guard in today. Could be a solid pick up

I never saw anything published about Reed's decommit. Will be interesting because he does seem to lack athleticism, but some guys are so skilled and can process the game so quickly that they overcome and thrive. Time will tell.
I never saw anything about the decommit either. What I meant in my previous post was a reason I saw for his choosing Tulsa. Sorry for any confusion with my post. We'll have to see if we can get any more nibbles from SDad soon. 😀

Reactions: spider23
From Maryland. Interesting career stat lines. Played a lot of minutes freshman season at Mt. St Mary's. Then must have had injuries? Then a ton of minutes again in his 5th season. Made 39 3s. Not a lot if assists. Seems like a shooter type, not a playmaker.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT