ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

How is tying NIL money to performance in the classroom not related? They have to meet some standards to be eligible to play in the first place. All I am saying is make it a little more stringent if your going to accept NIL money.

The reason I suggest sending and forfeited money to the NCAA is because if you just tell a booster - listen, you can pay this player, but in reality - he is a real dummy, and probably won't meet the guidelines to keep the money (lets say passing 3 classes each semester). So in the end - he is probably going to have to repay you the money, which you can then take that money and give it to another player - or these boosters will say to the NCAA - yeah sure - Player X paid me back, no worries (wink wink).

BUT - if you make these NIL people lose that money - it may also make them think twice about investing, cause it could be a $1 million dollars that goes to a kid who then makes headlines for not making the grades and had to give up the money.

Its not like an employer asking you to mow your lawn. Its like many employers these days asking you to come to the office 3 days a week. Sure - you can do your job from home and have been doing so that last 2 years. But now they are demanding you back into the office to stare at your computer. They have a right to do so - and if you don't do it - they can fire you. Even if - you still get your work done from home.

I just think the NIL and transfer portal is spinning out of control that the NCAA either needs to step in right now and make the rules a lot more strict OR they need to step in and get rid of all the rules and let college athletics, especially football and basketball be what it really is - a minor league system. Let these kids commit to schools, let them get paid, and I would say - no classes or education necessary. Make that optional. To that sense - let the schools pay them as well. Right now the NCAA has their toe in the water and can't make up its mind - jump in and put together rules to restrict this nonsense - or get out of the water and let everyone swim on their own. I would be fine either way and would probably lean towards - no rules, no classes, just let them play sports and train all day if they want.

Corey (CJ) Williams Jr. out of Texas Tech. Looks like he was the son of an assistant there who left for Auburn, and was actually a walk-on at TTU. He had scholarship offers from Cleveland State and Alcorn State out of high school.

We're really digging deep now.

I just think the NIL and transfer portal is spinning out of control
Agreed, it is. I think most people were in favor of kids making some $$$ of their name, image, and likeness, I don't think many would have been in favor of allowing big money donors to just buy kids from other schools at will, which is what is happening now.

let's be honest, Trap. nobody at Syracuse cares how Carmelo Anthony did in his classes his one year in school. if they could have paid him NIL money, it would have been well spent.

Reactions: regatw
Or how about tying back some of this NIL money to student performance in the classroom - especially if the NCAA truly believes these kids are student-athletes?

I think current eligibility rules to play just make it that you must pass 1 class each semester to be eligible to play, and usually by 2nd semester, you can stop going to class if you know your going PRO because season will be over mid-way through the year.

But why not make it a little more stringent if the kids want NIL money - you have to carry certain GPA and maybe pass 3 classes each semester - 1st and 2nd of the year. If you don't do so - you must forfeit the money received to the NCAA, who could then put this money in a centralized pot, and give to lower level schools to use at their discretion for NIL money or just to support their athletic programs.

So if you sign with Kansas, get 1 million NIL deal. Then for that entire school year, you must pass 3 classes in each semester and maybe carry a 2.5 GPA or higher. If you don't do so - that 1 million goes to the NCAA who can redistribute to lower level athletic programs. So if your a kid who takes this money - there are strings attached. And if you know your going pro and don't care about the money, then don't go to class. Pay the 1 million back when you get your pro contract or have your paychecks docked for the next several years. OR - go to class and don't need to forfeit.

I know this would never happen - but if they truly are student-athletes - why not add in a student part to it.
UR is doing the 1st part you mentioned. Guys with certain GPA are getting some 💰 each semester. Dji got his both semesters 😀. It’s not publicized and is only a few schools doing it. UR isn’t even listed on the espn article but our guys do get a little something.

ESPN - schools failing

Any carpet gym guys available? Or are their offers too good to match? Otherwise 5 on 4 intrasquad scrimmages are gonna make some here think the starting five is F4 bound.

• Haha
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Maybe you don't need all 13 on a roster...
...If your 12th is getting 25 minutes a game in the PAC12. :confused:
well congrats to them. they got a body. that's more than we did today.
but he's a guy shooting 40% from 2 and 30% from 3. eFG% .420
that's not what I'm looking for here. but yes I'd take him at this point.

this is getting painful - crazy amount of additions that I suspect Odom is going to assimilate quickly .. most of the VCU twitterspace is mad at Rhoades and thrilled he is gone and excited about next season
Yawn. I bet our board would be getting all over our coach and program if we got a 6'9 less than 200 lbs transfer who shot almost as many 3s as 2s last year, shooting 3s at 29.8% and 2s at 40.1%. And, who only had 27 assists and 14 blocks, but 52 turnovers in 810 minutes last year. All for a 3-29 team, which begs the question, would he have even gotten minutes anywhere else? I would not be excited at all if we landed this guy, and would not expect him to play over the guys we have now. I compare this to their Nelson pick up. If he and Nelson play a lot, and no one beats them out, I don't think that is a good thing for VCU.

Yawn. I bet our board would be getting all over our coach and program if we got a 6'9 less than 200 lbs transfer who shot almost as many 3s as 2s last year, shooting 3s at 29.8% and 2s at 40.1%. And, who only had 27 assists and 14 blocks, but 52 turnovers in 810 minutes last year. All for a 3-29 team, which begs the question, would he have even gotten minutes anywhere else? I would not be excited at all if we landed this guy, and would not expect him to play over the guys we have now. I compare this to their Nelson pick up. If he and Nelson play a lot, and no one beats them out, I don't think that is a good thing for VCU.

LOL but was going to reply to Sman's post that you sound like another here ..... and right on cue you show up.

Everything said about him stat wise is true but here's my take/guess on how Odum will use him. Probably a 15 minute guy max unless shows deserves more but will be a quality body off the bench. He does foul a lot but maybe good if he gives that hard foul when it calls for it.

What bench players you're referring to over the guys we have now?

Reactions: 8legs1dream
He looks like another Sal. No inside game, no outside game, turnover prone, not a shot blocker, not a lot of rebounds, and most likely cannot handle at all at his size. So, to answer your question, if Sal were here, I would not want him playing over Quinn, Walz, Bigs, Noyes, Tanner, and of course, Tyler, if he comes back. And, same for this guy if he were here. Seriously, what is exciting to you about this guy? He can foul people? Really?

Thanks for the rational comments back and I mean that … I hadn’t researched at all so will defer to your thoughts on this one

He looks like another Sal. No inside game, no outside game, turnover prone, not a shot blocker, not a lot of rebounds, and most likely cannot handle at all at his size. So, to answer your question, if Sal were here, I would not want him playing over Quinn, Walz, Bigs, Noyes, Tanner, and of course, Tyler, if he comes back. And, same for this guy if he were here. Seriously, what is exciting to you about this guy? He can foul people? Really?
I think you're talking about apples and me oranges. Who here said this guy starts? And of course no way over Quinn and Bigs, they start. And you really had to include Tyler lol. Come on man!

And the fouling part maybe some "tough physical" minutes that seem to be lacking from Mooney teams.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Thanks for the rational comments back and I mean that … I hadn’t researched at all so will defer to your thoughts on this one
All good. Definitely just my thoughts and opinion here. And, I am not just taking a jab at Odom and VCU here because I can agree with EL that they have added some good ones. I just can't come up with anything this latest guy might be good at.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I think you're talking about apples and me oranges. Who here said this guy starts? And of course no way over Quinn and Bigs, they start. And you really had to include Tyler lol. Come on man!
? I included everyone in our front court. Starting??? LOL. No, I was definitely not talking starting, and I didn't say you were either. I am saying I don't think he would get too many minutes, if any, off the bench, which is why I included (that you didn't see?) Walz, Noyes, and Tanner in my post. So, I think I answered your question not once, but twice. So, about my question....what exactly excites you about this guy as a "quality body off the bench"?

Last edited:
? I included everyone in our front court. Starting??? LOL. No, I was definitely not talking starting, and I didn't say you were either. I am saying I don't think he would get too many minutes, if any, off the bench, which is why I included (that you didn't see?) Walz, Noyes, and Tanner in my post. So, I think I answered your question not once, but twice. So, about my question....what exactly excites you about this guy as a "quality body off the bench"?
This guy isn't a starter for VCU. I said 15 minutes off the bench. For defense and sub minutes for starter. Tanner for sure is a player? We could use some backup height off the bench for sure. If Quinn can only go 20 minutes you positive Walz can give you a good 20 minutes. Honestly not being smart but who is the big man for Mooney if neither of them are available? Maybe I missed late pickup like Grace?

LOL. Since I said he reminds me of Sal, I compared their career stats per 40 minutes:

Rebounds: Sal 6.1, Kuany 6.0.
Blocks: Sal 0.9, Kuany 0.9.
Assists: Sal 1.2, Kuany 1.3.
Steals: Sal 1.3, Kuany 0.9.
Turnovers: Sal 3.0, Kuany 2.2.

Reactions: urfan1
This guy isn't a starter for VCU. I said 15 minutes off the bench. For defense and sub minutes for starter. Tanner for sure is a player? We could use some backup height off the bench for sure. If Quinn can only go 20 minutes you positive Walz can give you a good 20 minutes. Honestly not being smart but who is the big man for Mooney if neither of them are available? Maybe I missed late pickup like Grace?

I am saying I would 100% rather play Walz back up minutes than give any to this 5th year guy. And, if you are talking at another spot, yes, I would 100% rather give minutes to Noyes and Tanner than this guy.

You keep saying 15 minutes off the bench, but I keep asking and you have yet to say what he could bring positively in those 15 minutes, other than fouling??? What does he do that is good? What excites you about him thinking he should play 15 minutes for VCU? I hope to heck he plays at least 15 minutes for them.

I am saying I would 100% rather play Walz back up minutes than give any to this 5th year guy. And, if you are talking at another spot, yes, I would 100% rather give minutes to Noyes and Tanner than this guy.

Of course you didn't answer my question about who's Mooney's 3rd guy playing the down low 5 on defense? Do we not need another big on the roster? Did you miss looking at my verbal commits entry?

@4700 no problem we both have our opinions. Just a body they have they we don't presently. Of course he's not special and maybe we just should hope he does get plenty of minutes meaning some of the others expected to make a jump forward in productively don't.

Reactions: VT4700
I’m with VT’s initial point here. I’d rather get the guy than a guy. And if the only option is a guy I’d rather we wait and hold the spot than get a JMA or Abakah.

VCU can get 100 guys and ride round and round on a carousel, I don’t care. I want us to get the right players.

Of course you didn't answer my question about who's Mooney's 3rd guy playing the down low 5 on defense? Do we not need another big on the roster? Did you miss looking at my verbal commits entry?
First of all, appreciate the respectful back and forth here. So, you agree with Sman on the 3rd big stuff? I will just disagree instead of going back and forth for several pages on this like I did with Sman, but will add that we have rarely used this 3rd big Sman says is mandatory and Sman's 3rd "big" was Sal for a couple years.

Whether we need or want another big is irrelevant because I don't want this guy being our 3rd big even if we did want one. I would much rather let Bigs battle down low for a few minutes if we ever had to go there. But, I can respect your opinion here on this.

The guy really isn’t a 5 at all but right now if no Quinn or Walz available what would be Mooney’s frontcourt players of three or even two? Maybe Mooney knows something about Tyler leaning towards coming back? I hope so, and if that the case kudos to Mooney for the relationships he has built with his players.

this guy's is a depth piece. might be in the rotation or might be 12th guy. I think he'd be the same here. and yes, we do need depth/rotational pieces right now. we only have 9 guys at the moment.

but this isn't a signing that screams "VCU is killing it".

their 12th guy averaged nearly double figures in a P5 conference and we dont even have a 10th guy. ALL IS WELL!
you can assume everything VCU does is great if you want.
but if you go 3-29 in a P5 conference, then you don't have a P5 roster.
he had a 42% eFG%. that's not good.

Reactions: VT4700
their 12th guy averaged nearly double figures in a P5 conference and we dont even have a 10th guy. ALL IS WELL!
Exactly, Odom in my opinion really brought in some nice transfers, so now he has the luxury of recruiting some depth positions which he is doing. Whereas, we brought in 1 guy, are still 3 scholarships short and waiting on hearing if Burton is staying or going.

It is clear Mooney had a far easier roster construction job than did Odom, but here we are in May and Odom has run circles around Mooney, VCU despite losing their coach and entire roster is all over the media getting lots of positive exposure, winning recruiting wars for coveted guys, meanwhile, it's like our program does not even exist.

VCU has proven time and time again that they go lose and coach and it does not effect their program in the slightest, meanwhile our leadership is so afraid of this transition that they are content with retaining a coach who keeps our programs in the shadows of our big brother rival all of the time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT