ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Fernandes grad transferring out of UMass. Only played in 11 games this year due to injury.

Obviously won't be surprised to see more exits from UMass after the way their season ended.

Not sure what to make of this one. Texas kid who redshirted freshman year at Incarnate Word. No idea how he got on our radar.

This is our first example of the “transfer down” target others were talking about earlier. Tate’s list is only mid or low majors so far.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Is that true? Must have missed that. If so, that’s just ridiculous even for positionless basketball.

Yes it was in 1 of his press conferences I think a pregame one. Towards end of year. Can’t recall exactly which one but I pointed it out at time. Obv he didn’t play exclusively as backup bc he got some time w Burton who played most of game but it still struck me as odd comment. If Burton gone then perhaps u could say he’s got a lot of mins coming as the roster now stands. But the roster in flux.

The portal is going crazy tonight! Only 3 a10 teams have lost players too. I think VMI lost 3-4 guys, gonna be even harder to coach there.

If I'm counting correctly, that's 13 guys in the portal we've contacted so far, which already matches the amount from last offseason based on SF's list in the recruiting thread. 10 of the 13 are guards if you include Roberts - I assume that will even out as time goes on, but interesting to see the early strategy.

I think I remember believing that Nickel was an unreal prospect and hoping somehow we would sign him before he blew up. Obviously he went to UNC so we had zero shot. But just based on the HS videos from like 3 years ago, I'd still take him in a heartbeat.

Since top donors/admin have now publicly stated we don't care about winning, does it impact our ability to land higher level transfers? If I'm a guy looking to transfer down from a P5, I'm not going to a school that wants to lower its expectations (after a losing season) of the program. I'm going to a school that wants to win.

Last edited:
Since top donors/admin have now publicly stated we don't care about winning, does it impact our ability to land higher level transfers? If I'm a guy looking to transfer down from a P5, I'm not going to a school that wants to lower its expectations (after a losing season) of the program. I'm going to a school that wants to win.
Their primary interaction will be with staff who clearly aren’t going to say “we hope to make the tournament in another 3-4 years after you’re gone.” So I don’t think that’s a particular issue.

But of course if they or their family/friends do a bunch of “research” and look at things like a Rivals website they’ll get a much more colorful view of the school and staff, regardless of which school it is.

What’s not hard to do and is completely fact-based: look up ncaa tournament appearances, recency and frequency.

Myles Stute from Vandy is in the portal and seems like an ideal target for us. Played high school ball with Dread in DC. Has two years left. Is 6'7" and shot 36% from three this year and led the SEC last year at 46%. Obviously has no academic barriers if he was at Vandy.

Reactions: Ram Bal and plydogg
Kinda crappy of him to abandon his team for the NIT, but guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

Myles Stute from Vandy is in the portal and seems like an ideal target for us. Played high school ball with Dread in DC. Has two years left. Is 6'7" and shot 36% from three this year and led the SEC last year at 46%. Obviously has no academic barriers if he was at Vandy.

and he already knows how to lose to VCU so there will be no drop-off there

Mike Meadows out of Portland. Guess he had one year left...has played in five season, but only one game his freshman year so that must be a medical redshirt.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT