ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

5 more years of this and maybe the coach's seat warms up a few degrees. Until then we get to think back fondly on those ten days that we weren't completely pathetic and enjoy our biyearly ass-kicking from VCU and first round A10 playoff appearances.
Hopefully not 5 yrs

Reactions: SpiderK
5 more years of this and maybe the coach's seat warms up a few degrees. Until then we get to think back fondly on those ten days that we weren't completely pathetic and enjoy our biyearly ass-kicking from VCU and first round A10 playoff appearances.
Think about this. That’ll probably represent approximately 1 NCAA appearance every 8 years. That’s something to hang one’s hat on. Thanks Miller, Gill, Cattle, PQ, and BOT.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I said before the season this was a big litmus test in my book. As noted, the landscape changed. I know the pro Mooney crowd is going to say we did not have talent this year. But 80's fan was posting portal player rankings and our transfers graded out pretty good. You had one of the most talented (Mooney unabashedly calls him the best small forward he has coached in Burton) players in the league, no question. You had pieces to be a top 4-5 team in the league easily. I was optimistic that he had magically turned the corner. But it did not work. We had some positive glimpses, but really all the players regressed as the year wore on. Heck, Jaynel had some GREAT games early (think he may have been ROW once?), and ended up a shell of himself as a player.
I thought this season was a chance to show evolution and adaptability, but it did not happen, and actually went worse than my lowest expectations. It seemed he had ceded some ownership of the defense to Boyden, and thought that was a positive move - that yielded early results. But the offense was just awful. Watching Colgate last night, just really really opened my eyes. They don't move the ball to kill clock, they move it quick - are shot ready - something we seem to never be (other than Roche), and attack as soon as they have an advantage. They don't run a freaking weave and then have 40% of their possessions end up forcing something b/c no clock left.
My thoughts exactly, but I saw how inept the UR offense was when I watched the CAMBELL game where the “same system” is run. The Camels looked so much better on offense than this year’s team and is likely because they had a super senior point guard running the show. The system needs experienced players and UR is simply less likely to get that anymore. I was also hopeful that getting the 2 year players out of the portal would give a good chance of success, but now I see that piecing something together is not in the cards

Reactions: mojo-spider
My thoughts exactly, but I saw how inept the UR offense was when I watched the CAMBELL game where the “same system” is run. The Camels looked so much better on offense than this year’s team and is likely because they had a super senior point guard running the show. The system needs experienced players and UR is simply less likely to get that anymore. I was also hopeful that getting the 2 year players out of the portal would give a good chance of success, but now I see that piecing something together is not in the cards
So I am admittedly not a basketball expert, but what the hell is so complicated about our system? Does the PG need to read and react to every possible cut that his four teammates is going to make and anticipate it to deliver the ball there? I mean, he’s not the only one passing the ball…

I expect it has more to do with any first year player just generally not be ready for the next level athleticism and skill as opposed to just being new to whatever system they have to learn at this level.

Reactions: spiderman
can we ask Ian Schiefflen to transfer from Clemson after his monster game tonight against NC State? He's gotta be looking for a new challenge now that he's dominated some ACC teams - running UR's offense is clearly the challenge any player needs. we thought we had a chance with him first time through, right?

Hm, two tweets about Roberts' list that included us have just been deleted. Stay tuned.

St. Francis Brooklyn doesn't pique your interest? How about St. Francis PA? We've contacted Josh Cohen, a 6'10 F with 2 years left. Was NEC co-player of the year this year. Averaged BIG numbers (22 and 8 per game), and multiple P5's are also on the list.

Reactions: Zeeter and urfan1
we're just reaching out to everyone that hits the portal. not sure how that sales pitch sounds.

Hi. I'm an assistant coach at The University of Richmond.
Sorry, no you can't talk to the head coach.
No, he hasn't seen tape on you. Maybe in May.
Hello?

we're just reaching out to everyone that hits the portal. not sure how that sales pitch sounds.

Hi. I'm an assistant coach at The University of Richmond.
Sorry, no you can't talk to the head coach.
No, he hasn't seen tape on you. Maybe in May.
Hello?
I could be wrong, but I assume we got somewhat of a delayed start in our portal activity last year due to the late season run. There were a few guys we reached out to early, but the majority came in the late March window. With the season over much earlier this year, I assume we have an assistant spending most of the day refreshing the portal every 15 minutes and making calls.

I could be wrong, but I assume we got somewhat of a delayed start in our portal activity last year due to the late season run. There were a few guys we reached out to early, but the majority came in the late March window. With the season over much earlier this year, I assume we have an assistant spending most of the day refreshing the portal every 15 minutes and making calls.
don't think this is so, heard some rumors in Buffalo during NCAA weekend last year that seemed pretty locked in by that point already and that timeline is basically a week from today.

We should all be glad that we are active on the portal as we need immediate help. We definitely have some pieces but need to bring in all the talent we can for competition for playing time and let the best players prove it in practice. We are a far more desirable landing spot than many portray on this board.

We should all be glad that we are active on the portal as we need immediate help. We definitely have some pieces but need to bring in all the talent we can for competition for playing time and let the best players prove it in practice. We are a far more desirable landing spot than many portray on this board.
Agree about bringing in players and open competition. Someone tell quealls how desirable a landing spot we are.

Agree about bringing in players and open competition. Someone tell quealls how desirable a landing spot we are.
This season does bring into sharp perspective the notion that “best guys play”. I’m really not super confident that’s what happened. It would be really hard to argue that JayNel, Grace and Goose were better options than Bailey/Randolph/Roche/Bigelow. They sure weren’t vastly better.

It will be interesting to see who sticks around and assuming they do, what their prospects next season end up being.

Sounds like Roberts isn't officially in the portal yet. Substantial list of schools that had reportedly already reached out to him, including us. Hmm....

We need some serious NIL bribe money to make a really good offer to a few decent players.

Tbone, that is one on my list of complaints about Mooney. Seems like most years he is slotting guys in and there is very little if anything guys can do to beat them out. It is part of the culture of comfort. Take next season. We should be telling Walz the center position is wide open, yours to win if you can. Guarantee the message, whether direct or implied is that u have one more year to groom behind Quinn. It's one of many reason we don't reach our potential.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT