ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

What's interesting, is I re-watched a video of highlights from a H.S. game in which Carr scored 40 points, and he looked borderline painfully slow - so I can almost understand the lack of interest. Almost :). He must have had a good strength and conditioning coach at Delaware, he was flying around dunking and blocking shots in the CAA tournament. Still pretty thin, but has added strength and explosion.

Interesting move, that is a distinct move down in leagues to me. I know some guys are doing that for more playing time, but that did not seem to be an issue for Ike.
Just curious, is that an interesting move in both Athletics and Academics?

He had to move somehwere, right? Can’t play as a grad student at an Ivy. Would have thought he’d have some better options, but you never know what a guy’s decision making process is.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
I hear it's a beautiful school with great facilities.
clearly he went to a level he'd definitely play at. maybe grad academic level isn't a big deal to some people when they already got a degree from Columbia?

Reactions: VT4700
Spencer visiting Loyola and Rutgers this weekend. Previous report said Minnesota visit was in the works, but haven't seen whether he took it yet.

Is Cam Spencer the last one left that the board knows we have reached out to? (But so have many others...)

Yes, and no sign we're involved as he starts getting into his visits.

I'm sure VCU is spinning Ward leaving as some positive because they have 5 McDonald's all American's coming in this year, but you never want you players to transfer up. That is a pretty big loss for VCU. #Sad

Tough one for SLU.

btw I think "with that being said" has now become one of the most overused statements. maybe someone can bring back Jerry Wainwright's made up "irregardless" instead.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
FYI, as of today only about 30% of transfers have committed. Still a lot of talent out there.

I'm confused, (no surprise)

"Student-athletes transferring once within the division can play immediately as long as they notify the school by the deadline. The deadline for fall and winter sports is May 1 every year."

Is that the school they are transferring out (so enter portal) or school they are transferring in (exit portal)?

May 1 is the deadline to notify your current school that you're leaving. You don't have to be committed to your new school by then.
Thanks, I really didn’t know, and some sounded like if you weren’t committed by May 1 then you had to sit a year.

That would be a mad scramble…

And I guess you could always come back to your original school, might be a little awkward - but you put your name in the portal, find nowhere to go, and your school doesn't find a replacement - they could take you back. Assume the choice at that point is up to the school since they control the scholarship once you enter portal - but I wonder how many kids, especially since we have record numbers out there in the portal - end up back at original school.

The sad thing is that there are going to be a lot of players left out and have no school to go to.
isn't it a zero-sum game? if 1,000 kids put their name in the portal, then that opens up 1,000 spots at their current team that need to be filled. I don't think high school kids are taking many of those.

isn't it a zero-sum game? if 1,000 kids put their name in the portal, then that opens up 1,000 spots at their current team that need to be filled. I don't think high school kids are taking many of those.
There certainly are still high school guys committing, and presumably some of those spots were vacated by guys transferring out. Then at least with the COVID year you've got Ivy guys grad transferring out, and you don't see very many guys transferring into Ivies.

There's a real crunch this year where teams have to get back down to 13 and yet there are a lot of guys still wanting to use their extra year, plus the high schoolers coming in.

Reactions: UR80sfan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT