ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I hear you EL, but it could be argued that she picked the worst year to fire him. With Nathan Knight coming back, and the 7 foot transfer from Wisconsin ready to join, along with your top scorers returning? Also after having the most CAA wins the previous 5 years? Their program was not in bad shape at the time. Just the opposite, and it was in probably the best shape it had ever been in. They were getting quality players, and played an exciting brand of high scoring basketball which kept their fans excited and into it. It was just bad timing by the AD, and really no way to dispute that. Also, as a result, some good players transferred out, a few to power conference schools, and, despite a good 1st year thanks to having an NBA guy in Knight and a 7 footer right beside him, the last 2 years have shown what a disastrous decision this was.

not shocked at all, not sure its a good choice for him though, don't know if Quinn's announcement had anything to do with his decision

We still need shooting. Quinn might be able to shoot them, but has not done so in real games. Hoping we are still in running for Wright.

A bit worried about our defense too, especially front court. Hopefully Burton gets feedback and works on that. We really could use an athletic 4 that can play defense.

The good news is both Quinn and Grace have shown year over year improvement, so there is a track record that they could be better next season than last.

not shocked at all, not sure its a good choice for him though, don't know if Quinn's announcement had anything to do with his decision
Easy call to make. He was planning on staying at VMI his extra year then his coach leaves for another school in the conference which is one of the top teams in the league. Same coach, probably a better shot at going to the NCAAs. From a basketball centric perspective, looks like the most obvious choice.

Stephens could have gone almost anywhere in the nation, that's the shocking part. Very rare to see a kid turn down that kind of opportunity. He must really like Earl as a coach.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Stephens could have gone almost anywhere in the nation, that's the shocking part. Very rare to see a kid turn down that kind of opportunity. He must really like Earl as a coach.
yeah, I kinda like when players make a call like this. too many go to the highest offer and aren't happy. he knows and trusts this coach, and it's a level he can certainly succeed at again. I hope he has a big year.

Not a surprise since we were just one of a zillion schools listed as having initially reached out to him, but we're not on McNeil's final list...Ohio State, UVA, Louisville, Cincy, Indiana and Texas Tech.

My thoughts are he wanted a place where he was guaranteed to start .. and that wasn't likely to happen at UR.
Agreed. His final 2 schools, Wofford and W&M, are certainly the places were he is figuring to play the biggest role. He turned down us, Davidson, and Northwestern. Quite frankly, his choice says a lot about what he thinks about his own game.

Agreed. His final 2 schools, Wofford and W&M, are certainly the places were he is figuring to play the biggest role. He turned down us, Davidson, and Northwestern. Quite frankly, his choice says a lot about what he thinks about his own game.
some kids will say "I'll win the job against anyone", and it's great to be confident. but they're often wrong. he's already spent 2 years not playing much.

look at his offers out of HS. he's pretty big time. and I bet it's tough not playing.

the highest offer isn't always the best offer for a player. go somewhere and be happy.

some kids will say "I'll win the job against anyone", and it's great to be confident. but they're often wrong. he's already spent 2 years not playing much.

look at his offers out of HS. he's pretty big time. and I bet it's tough not playing.

the highest offer isn't always the best offer for a player. go somewhere and be happy.
THIS!

Stephens declined to name the other schools that reached out to him last week after he entered the portal.

"I was definitely open to anything," he said. "I knew that Chattanooga was going to be a really hard option to beat, so I was being really picky with the schools I was talking to."

I don't know...they tightened up on the waiver requirements after implementing the one-time transfer, at least on paper. We'll see what they do in practice.

In order to compete immediately after a second transfer, a student must meet either the current education-impacting disability guideline or an updated guideline that addresses a “real and imminent health and safety” threat.

The disability guideline requires the transferring student to provide documentation showing that the student-athlete needs support services and/or treatment that was unavailable or inadequate at the previous school but available at the school to which they are transferring.

The health and safety guideline requires schools to provide timely, objective documentation demonstrating that the transfer was due to unique, extenuating and extraordinary circumstances outside the student’s control and caused by an imminent threat to the student’s health or safety.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
I don't know...they tightened up on the waiver requirements after implementing the one-time transfer, at least on paper. We'll see what they do in practice.

I’m generally ok with the transfer process, but it does feel like a coaching change as a waiver justification is pretty thin.

Naheim Alleyne from Va Tech is transferring. Sophomore shooting guard. Streaky shooter and out of control at times, but he is an unconscious shooter. 3 star. 6’4” 195

At first glance, sense likes the exact kind of guy we should be after... Started every game fire the ACC champ, excellent shooter, looking to get more PT because he's going to get squeezed there. He's a Georgia kid...I feel like that worked out for us once before.

At first glance, sense likes the exact kind of guy we should be after... Started every game fire the ACC champ, excellent shooter, looking to get more PT because he's going to get squeezed there. He's a Georgia kid...I feel like that worked out for us once before.
Who was the Georgia kid that averaged 31 minutes in the ACC before transferring to UR?

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Separate statements there, mite, separate statements.
but the point remains. and I'll be that guy that you can complain about who isn't thinking big enough.

why would a guy who's started for 3 years in the ACC transfer to a non-P6 conference??? it's just not realistic.

I’m generally ok with the transfer process, but it does feel like a coaching change as a waiver justification is pretty thin.

My impression is ncaa is gradually moving to the coach leaves then u get the release from LOI, waiver to transfer etc.

I think there r too many waivers too but at least that one would be black & white not the fake I have a sick aunt waiver.

plus I think coaches would actually support this waiver, unlike the 1 no sit out transfers which a lot don’t like. This one would help their job security. In theory a school might be less inclined to fire a coach if they have those kind of transfers already enrolled.

but the point remains. and I'll be that guy that you can complain about who isn't thinking big enough.

why would a guy who's started for 3 years in the ACC transfer to a non-P6 conference??? it's just not realistic.
Because he thinks he can be the man somewhere like Richmond. He's not going to transfer to a better school than Tech AND play a bigger role there.

My impression is ncaa is gradually moving to the coach leaves then u get the release from LOI, waiver to transfer etc.

I think there r too many waivers too but at least that one would be black & white not the fake I have a sick aunt waiver.

plus I think coaches would actually support this waiver, unlike the 1 no sit out transfers which a lot don’t like. This one would help their job security. In theory a school might be less inclined to fire a coach if they have those kind of transfers already enrolled.
I think the problem is you’re giving license to the players to follow their coach if he goes elsewhere. That seems like a bad precedent.

of note, nothing about this is fair, just seems like progressively fewer restrictions to free movement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT