ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Nesbitt to Hampton. We'll see if he can find some more cheerleaders to hurl obscenities at.

• Haha
Reactions: WCUR11
So the rumor (apparently via Kim English) on Collins is that Tennessee tampered and is buying him with NIL money. (Click through for full Twitter thread.)

Reactions: Section9.RowD
NIL deals are the easiest way to pay players now without getting caught. Yes - the rule is you can't entice or recruit them with NIL deals, but that will be very hard to prove.

Reactions: urfan1
The hilarious part is this: What company in Tennessee is suddenly going to see a dramatic increase in sales because Yuri Collins (a player almost no one there had heard of until yesterday) is endorsing it? I'm all for the kids earning their money, but the NIL is mostly a veiled way for wealthy boosters to buy players.

The hilarious part is this: What company in Tennessee is suddenly going to see a dramatic increase in sales because Yuri Collins (a player almost no one there had heard of until yesterday) is endorsing it? I'm all for the kids earning their money, but the NIL is mostly a veiled way for wealthy boosters to buy players.
and I'm fine with that. just don't go after kids not in the portal. a program should get the death penalty for doing that.

Reactions: spiders13
Exactly eight. Probably 90% of the deals, especially when it comes to men's basketball and football have little to no impact to the business signing the kid. It is just a way for a business/donor to support the program in a different way and give the money directly to the kids and not the school.

Look at BYU football - they signed an NIL deal for the entire team, so that the money they receive can be pooled and this way every single kid on the football team can get a scholarship. So if your a player on full ride - you probably get little money. But if your the back-up kicker and a walk-on, this NIL deal will cover your tuition. They basically just signed an NIL deal to increase their scholarships! The deal is under investigation, but this is the type of stuff that will happen.

In terms of UR hoops - I think we need a person on staff just marketing and searching for NIL deals for our basketball players. I can't believe Golden did not have a "beard" or "shave club" NIL last year. Or how did Gilyard with all his "steals" not get a deal with local security or alarm company? Not talking major deals - maybe just $5,000 or so - but it helps and its going to be a part of recruiting going forward. You can't technically recruit kids with NIL deals, but you can certainly show them - look, we have had 10 NIL deals for our players in the last 2 years. You come to UR, you play well - people will notice and we can help secure those deals for you. We got John Doe on staff specifically for this reason - to help secure these deals and give you some pocket change around campus.

Agree, Trap, we did have a few that should have been no-brainers...at least from a strictly business standpoint. But then again, I guess we also agree that it's not really about business anyway, so I suppose it makes sense. Now if Queally owned a bunch of Richmond-area security companies, it could have been an easy way for him to slide $500k Gilyard's way if he wanted to.

Are schools allowed to have any role in setting up NIL deals for players? I don't know but that seems like it could present a lot of potential issues.

I'm not sure what the answer is here, but it's a problem that is only going to get worse until some more specific rules are implemented, IMO. For starters, if you're getting NIL money from a business, you should have to provide some evidence that you are actually publicly endorsing that business's products or services or in some way representing that company publicly. I know that's easily done ("Hey look, I posted something about them on Instagram") but at least it would force everyone to go through the motions of it and in theory would prevent guys just getting paid to go to a certain school.

and I'm fine with that. just don't go after kids not in the portal. a program should get the death penalty for doing that.
Problem is that there would be easy ways around this. You just tell a recruit ("Hey, you'll get $1 million for doing nothing, but we have to wait til you've been in school for 6 months before we can announce it or give it to you") etc. Then you can say "We were just paying a kid who was already in the program.."

Could you please clarify for me what exactly you are "fine with"?
I'm fine with wealthy boosters buying players. that's what the NIL money is. we knew that already.
these kids aren't even allowed to get summer jobs. kids want to earn money and they're allowed to now. I'm not for limiting that. so if boosters want to help their school by throwing NIL money at players, I'm fine with it. just stay away from players not in the portal.

Agree, Trap, we did have a few that should have been no-brainers...at least from a strictly business standpoint. But then again, I guess we also agree that it's not really about business anyway, so I suppose it makes sense. Now if Queally owned a bunch of Richmond-area security companies, it could have been an easy way for him to slide $500k Gilyard's way if he wanted to.

Are schools allowed to have any role in setting up NIL deals for players? I don't know but that seems like it could present a lot of potential issues.

I'm not sure what the answer is here, but it's a problem that is only going to get worse until some more specific rules are implemented, IMO. For starters, if you're getting NIL money from a business, you should have to provide some evidence that you are actually publicly endorsing that business's products or services or in some way representing that company publicly. I know that's easily done ("Hey look, I posted something about them on Instagram") but at least it would force everyone to go through the motions of it and in theory would prevent guys just getting paid to go to a certain school.
Yes - schools can help and should help the kids setup deals. Remember - these are 18-19-20 year old kids (except for our team where they are 24) who are signing contracts with outside businesses and possibly using not only the NIL of the kid, but also the UR name as well. I am not sure if schools can actively market and look for deals for kids, but the players can sign agents specifically to do this for them so I don't see why a school couldn't hire someone, since its in the best interest of the player and the school to do so. The schools can basically pre-vet local companies for compliance and draw up the documents for the players to sign and keep track of the deals.

The rules of very loose right now - which means one thing - its ripe for interpretation and ripe for people using them how they choose.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Sure, it's taxable if you meet the thresholds. They should receive a 1099 if they get least $600 from a single entity.

And yes, many schools are educating on taxes/finances as part of this. Believe some states are even requiring the schools to do it.

you only have to file if you earn over $12,550 per year. I assume the majority of NIL distributions will be less than that. those above can get their taxes done.

Some states have lower (sometimes much lower) thresholds for filing.

I thought you didn't have to file a state return unless you were required to file a federal return ... and you aren't required to file a federal return unless you earn over $12,550.
I hope that's the case, anyway.

And some no tax at all.

And then there is Virginia where if you are under the threshold you aren't taxed but if you are over the threshold you are taxed on some of the income under the threshold.

Oops! Isn't this the Tax Seminar?

Sure, it's taxable if you meet the thresholds. They should receive a 1099 if they get least $600 from a single entity.

And yes, many schools are educating on taxes/finances as part of this. Believe some states are even requiring the schools to do it.
This is easy to work around. You sign NIL deal this year, come tax time next year - your NIL deal increases to cover the tax payment. And when you graduate - sure you might need to make a payment on your own, but thought being by that time your working in the real world or playing pro sports somewhere - so telling a kid - hey - at the end of this NIL scheme - you might have to pay 3-5K in taxes for that final year, but the trade off is free school and pocket money for 4-5 years - its still a good deal.

Somebody claimed weeks ago that he was transferring to Rhode Island, but that seems to have been unfounded.

AJ Green is declaring for the draft, entering the portal, and keeping open the option of returning to UNI. So...all bases covered.

As funny as this is about a week ago when Spiderdad was dropping hints about who we were getting I thought it was this guy based off his 3 point comment. Didnt bother to check one of the years though and was clearly way off. This is why I defer to more experienced scoopers and didnt want to say anything since he was in the portal. Although its never to late....

I hereby announcing, I am leaving to go pro, or maybe to transfer to another school, or actually I'm might not be leaving either. Also God is going to be making this choice for me. Thank you for reading my very important and clear message regarding my future plans.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT