ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Right, because Ward was a bench cheerleader last year for the rams. V
What I was implying that some players want more minutes rather than being practice players and cheering on the bench during games. Nothing more nothing less. As mentioned on this very forum by plenty of posters,Mooney does not play his bench.
If you are a player and you are content to watch from the sidelines, so be it, if not, go somewhere else where you think you can play

Last edited:
Never heard anything more about us being involved since the initial contact right after he entered the portal, but D'Maurian Williams is off the board...headed to Texas Tech.

What I was implying that some players want more minutes rather than being practice players and cheering on the bench during games. Nothing more nothing less. As mentioned on the very forum by plenty of posters,Mooney does not play his bench.
If you are a player and you are content to watch from the sidelines, so be it, if not, go somewhere else where you think you can play
What did seem odd was it appeared you were comparing Ward's minutes to UR walk on minutes...
Not exactly apples to apples...

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Not sure if we're slipping down Wright's list (or the other way around), but no mention of us here unless we're lumped into the "+" group.

Only one team lost more games than W&M (27) this year: Oregon State (28)...sorry, Wood!

The fact that the execution was wrong doesn't mean the move wasn't right. They wanted to make the NCAAs and he had 16 years or something to get it done but didn't.
But, if the guy you get is way worse than the guy you fired......... How many quality candidates do you think wanted this job after they fired Shaver? They hired a guy that probably would not have gotten a head coaching job at any other school. At first, I thought no way should they fire Shaver. Then, I came around a little and said, okay, maybe this makes sense. But, no, the bottom line is this was a terrible decision by an AD who is no longer there. Shaver didn't make the NCAAs, but he got to the CAA finals 3 times, including 2 recent trips, one they lost after being up 6 late. Missed some costly free throws, so not sure how you blame a coach for that. Also had a winning conference record his final 6 seasons, and had a strong team coming back, including Nathan Knight, when they let him go. Just a terrible terrible decision to fire him.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Davidson got their Jones replacement. Good player from W&M. Don’t think we were involved w Kochera but anyone Davidson is on we should be too.

My guy at Wyoming grabbed two from USC and one from UCLA, one being starting guard on USC elite 8 squad.

Hopefully we can have a good haul too.
Saw a graphic somewhere stating that he had pulled the highest rated recruit in Wyoming history, the Orange County CA high school POY, and LA city high school POY in his latest haul. If he can get all that done in freaking Laramie imagine what he will do at his next spot.

that's a shame but I get it. didn't get to play much at UVA. probably looking for the best situation for playing time. he could win time here, but it would be tough with Goose back plus Dji.
I think this is what it came down too ultimately 😞

Nice news about Quinn! Excellent job. I'll give Mooney and staff a lot of credit for landing him, as he had a lot of options. Little concerned about his athleticism, but 7 footer, improved every year, very good production scoring, rebounding and passing. Well done. Guessing this would put us out of running on Stephen's, whether or not Grace comes back.

that's a shame but I get it. didn't get to play much at UVA. probably looking for the best situation for playing time. he could win time here, but it would be tough with Goose back plus Dji.
Yep, Was thinking that having Wofford and WM on the list might be the case that they were options for lots of minutes guaranteed. Would love to land Wright, though thinking Funk more likely.

Yes, and Davidson in addition to returnees and transfer also have another shooter coming in that had a bunch of high major offers. I think we had a more clear need for a shooter but a lot of guys in line to compete for minutes.

Looks like we got Quinn!! LFG, massive pickup and one we really needed.

Looked up stats and though PAT league did blocked shots and get offensive boards. Great assist to TO ratio Gets to the line a lot too. On paper looks good and credit to Mooney. A10 a move up so hope he can adjust well.

Edit: went back to Kenpom and limited play against A/B competition (Duke, Rutgers, Cuse etc etc) poor on paper would be generous rating. That's above A10 so let's hope for the best!

Last edited:
Reactions: Section9.RowD
It is always difficult to predict how stats will scale as you move up or down in difficulty.
For instance, Patriot League to A-10 may have better opponents, but you may also have better team mates.

Anyway, glad to see the pickup...

"Come all without
Come all within"...

Last edited:
But, if the guy you get is way worse than the guy you fired......... How many quality candidates do you think wanted this job after they fired Shaver? They hired a guy that probably would not have gotten a head coaching job at any other school. At first, I thought no way should they fire Shaver. Then, I came around a little and said, okay, maybe this makes sense. But, no, the bottom line is this was a terrible decision by an AD who is no longer there. Shaver didn't make the NCAAs, but he got to the CAA finals 3 times, including 2 recent trips, one they lost after being up 6 late. Missed some costly free throws, so not sure how you blame a coach for that. Also had a winning conference record his final 6 seasons, and had a strong team coming back, including Nathan Knight, when they let him go. Just a terrible terrible decision to fire him.
If a company fires its director of finance for stealing from the company but then his replacement ends up stealing from the company too, does that mean it never should have fired the first one? Of course not.

The decision to move on from Shaver after a decade and a half without reaching the ultimate goal was easily justified. The bad hire was the fault of a poor hiring process, potentially by an AD who wasnt fully prepared for it. It doesn't mean she made the wrong decision in getting rid of Shaver. How long were they supposed to wait for him to make the tourney, 30 years?

Spare me this nonsense about how no one would want the job because of how they treated Shaver. He was there for an eternity and let go because he didn't once make the tourney! And it's a D1 job. Plenty of coaches would love to have it and do well there. She happened to pick the wrong guy, it seems.

JOC on Quinn...not much to add though.

He does say that Grace is expected back, though, despite no announcement yet. We've pretty much been counting on it, but let's make it official, Matt!

JOC on Quinn...not much to add though.

He does say that Grace is expected back, though, despite no announcement yet. We've pretty much been counting on it, but let's make it official, Matt!

I'm not sure why he wouldn't have announced it by this point 🤷‍♂️

The fact that the execution was wrong doesn't mean the move wasn't right. They wanted to make the NCAAs and he had 16 years or something to get it done but didn't.
"I know we are objectively worse in every measure as a program today than we were 3 years ago, but at least I fired the only successful coach we ever had thinking someone else could take us to the NCAAs instead. I'm sure it has nothing to do with us as a school since we NEVER have made the NCAA's before, during, or after Shaver."

I get what you're saying but you can't botch that hire the way WM did. You can't just put the program in the worse position as a result and be like well at least I tried, pat yourself on the back, and make another hire.

Reactions: VT4700
We're out of the running for Tyler Thomas...interestingly, Loyola made the cut, but I thought they might be out of spots after getting Golden and Alston this weekend.

Bona, Hofstra, Northeastern , Towson, and Indiana State also in the mix.

"I know we are objectively worse in every measure as a program today than we were 3 years ago, but at least I fired the only successful coach we ever had thinking someone else could take us to the NCAAs instead. I'm sure it has nothing to do with us as a school since we NEVER have made the NCAA's before, during, or after Shaver."

I get what you're saying but you can't botch that hire the way WM did. You can't just put the program in the worse position as a result and be like well at least I tried, pat yourself on the back, and make another hire.
Well I have said they botched the hire. The debate was about whether or not Shaver deserved to stay, and my point is that he had ample opportunity to achieve the goal they wanted to achieve, and he never did it. He wasn't a bad coach, but at some point you either need to aspire to be more or understand that you will perpetually be less.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT