ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

To be honest, even with the evolution of the game and big men stepping out and playing more on the perimeter - you do not see a lot of teams really using big guys like we do. Have to think the ability to queue up the tape of Grant, TJ, Geriot, etc and say this is how we use our big men is a huge advantage. Our center must be in the very top for touches and some type of usage percentage across college basketball. Would think we could get a long look from a skilled big man.

To be honest, even with the evolution of the game and big men stepping out and playing more on the perimeter - you do not see a lot of teams really using big guys like we do. Have to think the ability to queue up the tape of Grant, TJ, Geriot, etc and say this is how we use our big men is a huge advantage. Our center must be in the very top for touches and some type of usage percentage across college basketball. Would think we could get a long look from a skilled big man.
It’ll be like a Point Center.

Don't really know of Stephens...he seems legit. Anyone seen him play?
from my leather chair watching highlights ... he's big, strong and a heck of a perimeter shooter.
he's not a run/jump athlete. in fact, he makes Grant look like a high flyer. but he's a great fit for our offense.
and he seems like a really nice kid. I have a soft spot for kids who weren't "The Natural" growing up, and who were told repetitively what they can't do or can't be. what a great life motto: "nobody cares ... work harder"!

from my leather chair watching highlights ... he's big, strong and a heck of a perimeter shooter.
he's not a run/jump athlete. in fact, he makes Grant look like a high flyer. but he's a great fit for our offense.
and he seems like a really nice kid. I have a soft spot for kids who weren't "The Natural" growing up, and who were told repetitively what they can't do or can't be. what a great life motto: "nobody cares ... work harder"!
Thanks...I'll check those highlights

Rumor has it that Grants shoe size was a big number than his vertical :)

Stephens is ranked as a 4 star, but not as high as Quinn https://evanmiya.com/ in this ranking. It is still very early in the transfer process. I would expect the total to rise from 1074 to well over 1500. Also, only about 20% of 4 and 5 stars have committed. Of those that have committed, mot have switch to teams in similar quality conferences or trade up, however there are a few that have decided to play in non-major conferences.

Bucknell picks up an incoming transfer from the A-10. Do we get Funk in the trade?

Reactions: plydogg
Wonder if Bryce and Grant to a lesser extent could put in a good word ... and he's from Missouri

Reactions: plydogg
Ouch, he was their only incoming signee. Had other offers from SLU, Mizzou, and Indiana State.
Yeah sounds like SLU/Mizzou are going to be fighting for him again .. who would rather go to college in St. Louis or Columbia, MO versus Richmond?

Spent a few hours in Columbia one time...seemed nice. Obviously all of the schools he was weighing are fairly close to the SL suburbs where he's from...Butler was the furthest.

Definitely getting the cart ahead of the horse though...any link we might have to him is pretty tenuous and speculative, though we're obviously in need of bigs. But I don't know anything about his skill set.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Agreed. Jake definitely looks like a good fit for the Spiders, but wonder if the one year of eligibility is a factor for the staff. The VMI coach went to Chattanooga, right? I would think that would be the most likely landing spot.

I hope our coaching staff puts at least half the effort into these transfers as we do.
Seriously. I've been calling all these guys all week and telling them Mike Rhoades is willing to offer them $50,000 apiece if they sign with vcu. It's really cutting into my work schedule.

Reactions: SpiderK
Seriously. I've been calling all these guys all week and telling them Mike Rhoades is willing to offer them $50,000 apiece if they sign with vcu. It's really cutting into my work schedule.
I wouldn’t go so far as to say VCU was offering money to players yet. That’s a big step from their usual offer of no academic admission requirements and the promise of not attending classes. Maybe look the other way for an iPhone or two.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
Don't really know of Stephens...he seems legit. Anyone seen him play?
Haven't seen Stephens play but his shooting stats are insane. He averaged 5.3 3pt attempts per game and made exactly 50%. He also shot 59% from 2 (7.3 attempts per game) and 80% from the FT line (5.1 attempts per game). According to this site he shoots 50% from mid-range https://hoop-math.com/VMI2022.php. Those percentages on that volume from everywhere on the floor is incredible. He seems to also be a pretty good passer, and has decent block and rebounding numbers for his size.

Did somebody call for a Duinker?

josh-duinker-4fceba74-2627-4689-b440-7bea0c47769-resize-750.jpeg

Interesting...Stephens was considering not graduating and staying at VMI as a fifth-year undergrad to run it back. But once Earl left, the option became less appealing to him, and four Keydet starters are now in the portal.

He also considered going pro, but his late-season ankle injury means he's not at 100% for scouts.
"Things change and you have to readjust and rethink," Stephens said. "Everybody was pretty surprised [by Earl leaving], … but no hard feelings in any way. … We're all proud of him."

So Stephens plans to graduate in May and play for a new team next season as a graduate student.

"I feel I can benefit from another year of college," he said. "I'm excited to start a new chapter."

Stephens declined to say which schools had contacted him so far, but he should have plenty of suitors.

Interesting...Stephens was considering not graduating and staying at VMI as a fifth-year undergrad to run it back. But once Earl left, the option became less appealing to him, and four Keydet starters are now in the portal.

He also considered going pro, but his late-season ankle injury means he's not at 100% for scouts.

OK, so this gives credibility to the idea we have discussed before about players just remaining undergrads for another year instead of graduating and having to go to a grad program somewhere. Makes you wonder why Davidson doesn't have a five-year undergrad track for its players, for example.

Mitchell twins to Arkansas...

Mitchell twins to Arkansas...

Sure nice if we can keep the trend going in the years ahead of not being pillaged in the portal each year like at least half of the conference teams seem to facing.

Last edited:
We made a list of top 5 pushing hardest for Wright, along with Santa Clara, Colorado, Penn State, and Rutgers.

Since I Iove Boulder and can't really make any intelligent way to disparage Santa Clara guess he will need to choose us on bball merits alone .. but RVA does trump State College, PA and New Brunswick.

Last edited:
I'd say maybe Richmond academics will sway the Princeton guy, but I'm not sure our few grad program offerings matter much to a one-year guy.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT