ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

Like the sounds of it. THanks for the highlights spiderdad. Looks like a player. If you dropped this guy in the Patriot league betting he would be an instant 20 ppg. lIke that the tweet mentions Richmond first, interesting list - Us and Davidson comparable imo, Wofford / BIll and Mary - ehhh. And then Northwestern. This would be a good pick up. We have seen some highly touted guys go to UVA, not really fit or get pt, and go elsewhere and do good.
Imagine the most important thing will be how much playing time he will get at his next program.

Reactions: urfan1
Not sure what the time frame for Matt to decide is, but he should wait and see what Mooney brings in. He should make his decision afterwards.
lol, the narrative sure changed on Matt! now he's a guy in such command that he has to see who we put around him?

Reactions: PASpider
looks terrific! maybe more of a combo guard than Wright who looks like a pure 2.
love that he has 3 years left. put me in team McCorkle.
Not a combo…handle isn’t quite there but could help in a pinch. But athleticism is good and can and will dunk on you. When C Gets hot look out…

Good stuff spiderdad, a little Garner Road North?

Just be sure he knows Steph Curry made Davidson and McKillop and not the other way around. And if memory serves me, Davidson is one team we have owned recently.
Noted 😀

Reactions: urfan1
Hoos are my second sports love behind Spiders. See a lot of their games and follow their board.

McKorkle can flat out fill it up offensively! Limited playing time at UVA was 100% due to not meeting Bennett's defensive expectations. He'd be great for us, particularly since defense has never been our primary emphasis. Reuniting him and Dji offers great promise.

Believe it is us or Davidson. Can't see WM seriously in the mix.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
I just have a hard time believing a school like UR that doesn't really like to take transfers as regular students all of a sudden will make taking transfers for athletic a high priority. Anything is possible, but time will tell.

SF, can you locate the numbers of transfers accepted each year? I don't think it is that unusual for UR to accept a transfer.

I just have a hard time believing a school like UR that doesn't really like to take transfers as regular students all of a sudden will make taking transfers for athletic a high priority. Anything is possible, but time will tell.
Why do you think Richmond doesn’t like transfers? Even if they didn’t, why would that affect basketball transfers? When was the last time Richmond didn’t have a transfer on the roster?

Reactions: Spiders4ever
SF, can you locate the numbers of transfers accepted each year? I don't think it is that unusual for UR to accept a transfer.
Do you mean general student body or athletes?

For the general student body, we’ve enrolled between 28 and 54 transfers in each of the past five years. (That’s the yield from between 116 and 140 acceptances each year.)

And that’s just undergrad transfers. Grad transfers would just show up as regular grad admittances.

I don’t know how many of the transfers are typically athletes, but remember baseball alone has like a dozen (mostly grads) right now.

One other interesting tidbit...we only brought in 49 first-year recruited student-athletes this year (6% of the class), while in the four previous years it ranged from 62–70 and was consistently 8% of each class. Really makes clear the impact of the extra COVID year on freshmen trying to get slots.

that's about what I thought -- never been impossible to bring in transfers, at one point there was such a high number of fr that did not come back for so year we were seeking transfer to make up the class size

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Admissions would trip over themselves for any ivy or patriot league transfer compared to a high schoolers transcript I feel like.

Football brings in numerous transfers every year. The basketball program has brought in transfers many years in the past. Mooney has said in the past that he prefers 4 years players but now has changed his tune now that the transfer market has exploded. Why would the school stand in his way over bringing 2-3 transfers in this year, that just doesn't make any logical sense? The won't, if they did Mooney wouldn't be wasting his time trying to get players from the transfer portal.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I'm still not sold on McGorkle. I realize the pedigree but just have a hard time believing someone who is that much of a player couldn't have get more than a few minutes of garbage time on a UVA team devoid of quality scoring options.

Sounds good. While we are working the Garner Road pipeline, can you work on Day'Ron Sharpe transferring from the Brooklyn Nets?

McCorkle has moved up to my number one target for a shooter. 3 years eligibility left. High upside. Not as proven at the college level, but big difference between Patriot/IVY and ACC.
😂 I'll get right on it

• Haha
Reactions: spider23
I'm still not sold on McGorkle. I realize the pedigree but just have a hard time believing someone who is that much of a player couldn't have get more than a few minutes of garbage time on a UVA team devoid of quality scoring options.
I'm kind of in this same boat but hopefully a change of scenery will help. And obviously will defer to @SpiderDad75 on his abilities. Gregg Stevenson didn't exactly light it up for a bad Penn St team before he transferred here. Really feel Quinn (Or another good big) would be the big catch that can change expectations going into next season. I do think he's probably a better fit for Mooney's sytem than Bennet's but that's getting into territory I'm not comfortable assessing.

We know it happens at every level...he had some better guys in front of him and we don't know what goes on in practice or off the court. Bennet is known for his defense and as stated previously, maybe C wasn't giving enough on that end? I don't know, but he can play it. He def fills a need for us.

The fact that McKillop wants him and Northwestern also want him give me a bit of confidence. Wofford has a nice program as well. If he chooses William and Mary from that group, that would say something.

Reactions: Eight Legger
I'm not concerned that he didn't get much time at UVA. if he did it's likely we wouldn't be in the running. we're after guys from lower level programs looking to move up or upper level programs looking to play more. this kid had big offers and you can see the skills. glad he's a target and would love to land him.

This board only sees a small percent of the potential transfers our basketball program is in contact with. The guy from UVA sounds interesting, but I have know idea how he compares to the other candidates.

As mentioned before, the change in rules for transfers not sitting out will make it a much higher priority going forward. Historical activity by our program with transfer is not that relevant.

As mentioned before, the change in rules for transfers not sitting out will make it a much higher priority going forward. Historical activity by our program with transfer is not that relevant.
80s I am not seeing your point and/or missed the post you are referring to. Not having to sit out seems to be a reason for more players to opt for the portal, but I don’t see how that makes it a higher priority for CM and staff. I know CM was not in favor of the rule as he would prefer to have a transition year for a player to learn his system and having the sit rule could sway a player from opting for the portal.

I think it’s a general comment that not having to sit simply means there’s no penalty to the first time switch. So it’s a “priority” now to use the portal, perhaps the same way you would with any other recruit who can come in and play straightaway.

we would be missing the boat if we aren’t all over transfer options now.

I think it’s a general comment that not having to sit simply means there’s no penalty to the first time switch. So it’s a “priority” now to use the portal, perhaps the same way you would with any other recruit who can come in and play straightaway.

we would be missing the boat if we aren’t all over transfer options now.
Yes, agree. It also means that their will be a lot more quality players in the portal. Historically the one year wait period to play was a big sacrifice for a player getting a lot of minutes or starting on a team. Today there are a lot of quality players that can make an immediate impact.

Reactions: Zeeter
I'm not concerned that he didn't get much time at UVA. if he did it's likely we wouldn't be in the running. we're after guys from lower level programs looking to move up or upper level programs looking to play more. this kid had big offers and you can see the skills. glad he's a target and would love to land him.
Agree 100%. And, let's not forget top 50 recruit Jabri Abdur-Rahim didn't see the court at UVA either. I think McCorkle is a solid player who originally chose the wrong school, same thing happens to 1000+ other transfers each year. Sometimes you don't know the fit till you get there, and UVA with Bennett demands a perfect fit more than anyone out there.

Davidson getting some pre-season hype, this article ranks them at no. 15 for next season. I'm sure McKillop may be selling McCorkle on opportunity to slot right in alongside Loyer and Lee.

Flip side is that Grant Huffman got a lot of minutes in that back court this past season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT