ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer Portal

I'm still not sold on McGorkle. I realize the pedigree but just have a hard time believing someone who is that much of a player couldn't have get more than a few minutes of garbage time on a UVA team devoid of quality scoring options.
He must not have hustled on defense. That’s all Tony cares about. Obviously we don’t care about defense, so he will be a good fit.

Actually think it is a positive that he was in that system and practice and lived it for two seasons. Whether you love or Hate Bennett and the system he does enforce standards and defense. I'm sure McCorkle would have liked to have a greater opportunity, but feel like the experience should help certain areas of his game.

Lot's of moving parts with so many players in the portal. I feel like once a few dominos start the activity will be fast and furious.

Do not see UR prioritizing the portal in general. This year however the Spiders have to get some quality players out of the portal due to recruiting misses, especially in the forward spot. That hole is going to be even more glaring if Grace doesn’t use his 5th yr at Richmond. In terms of going forward, I think the best outcome for Richmond would be to be able to sign higher level high school recruits that could not get spots in the P6 conferences because those schools are using the portal. Then once you have the young guys in the program, you develop them and get them to buy into the family culture so they don’t want to leave. Still the same story of taking 3-4 years to get your team NCAA ready, just now you have to be extra worried about your program getting raided since all players have instant eligibility. Thus, no net change.

Do not see UR prioritizing the portal in general. This year however the Spiders have to get some quality players out of the portal due to recruiting misses, especially in the forward spot. That hole is going to be even more glaring if Grace doesn’t use his 5th yr at Richmond. In terms of going forward, I think the best outcome for Richmond would be to be able to sign higher level high school recruits that could not get spots in the P6 conferences because those schools are using the portal. Then once you have the young guys in the program, you develop them and get them to buy into the family culture so they don’t want to leave. Still the same story of taking 3-4 years to get your team NCAA ready, just now you have to be extra worried about your program getting raided since all players have instant eligibility. Thus, no net change.
I think the best outcome for Richmond would be to fill roster spots which opened due to transfers with proven assets like Quinn who have shown they can produce at the college level. There aren’t a lot of good uncommitted hs players left at this point, not sure it is a winning strategy to replace players transferring out with hs prospects.

I think the best outcome for Richmond would be to fill roster spots which opened due to transfers with proven assets like Quinn who have shown they can produce at the college level. There aren’t a lot of good uncommitted hs players left at this point, not sure it is a winning strategy to replace players transferring out with hs prospects.
Reread my post. I specifically said in the first part that UR has to use the portal THIS YEAR. However, I don’t think that is a sustainable strategy for them. Hopefully the staff is able to work some magic and soon. I think I have only seen one player that was mentioned here had committed somewhere else, so they still have time. Maybe they are planning some announcements for the season celebration on the 12th.

Reactions: Section9.RowD
Reread my post. I specifically said in the first part that UR has to use the portal THIS YEAR. However, I don’t think that is a sustainable strategy for them. Hopefully the staff is able to work some magic and soon. I think I have only seen one player that was mentioned here had committed somewhere else, so they still have time. Maybe they are planning some announcements for the season celebration on the 12th.
No matter how you slice it, minimizing the transfer market is a losing strategy in modern college basketball, Teams are losing 4 players per season to transfer on average now. Richmond will lose players every year to the portal. We cannot get by picking up uncommitted HS players to fill in these 2-4 slots that are going to open up every year. It just isn't going to work.

I think you have to consider it part of your annual strategy. We aren’t immune to losing or pushing guys out who don’t seem to contribute, and we’ve been in a cycle where we either fill them with some desperate way under the radar HS recruit or don’t fill it at all. Those are the spots where you should be filling with someone who’s already done it at ncaa level or we would’ve missed on when they went P5.

I don’t think you’re filling 3 spots each year though, I’m talking 1 spot, maybe 2. That’s very doable.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Terrible by their usual standards, maybe, but certainly not a terrible team in general.

Sure, they had some bad losses and didn't make the tournament, but they were still 12–8 in the ACC with quality wins over Duke, Tech, and Miami, plus crushing Providence, who I recall we didn't do so well against.

Terrible by their usual standards, maybe, but certainly not a terrible team in general.

Sure, they had some bad losses and didn't make the tournament, but they were still 12–8 in the ACC with quality wins over Duke, Tech, and Miami, plus crushing Providence, who I recall we didn't do so well against.
Agree but the comment had the vibe of bc they weren't up to standard that somehow takes away from them having good players and that a transfer from there isn't that great. Just how I read it...but hey its early and still grumpy bc UNC got outplayed in 2nd half 😂

Agree but the comment had the vibe of bc they weren't up to standard that somehow takes away from them having good players and that a transfer from there isn't that great. Just how I read it...but hey its early and still grumpy bc UNC got outplayed in 2nd half 😂
Well the point holds true: all else equal, a transfer not playing on a really good team makes you feel better about a transferring not playing on a mediocre team. Easier for us novices, or those who haven’t watched somebody at length in the past, to judge the talent of a player on the surface. For example, in football, the backup behind Tom Brady seemingly has more upside than the backup behind Tyrod Taylor.

Davidson and McKillop are after him. He passes the eye test. He was highly recruited out of h.s. spiderdad vouches for him. Seeing alot to like here. You bring him and Quinn in and I think that solidifies the roster big time. If we were to land those two, would be OK with going after another h.s. recruit. Still think two play now bigs would be ideal, because even without landing h.s. player, we have a lot of youth and years left at guard and wing between Nelson, Dji, Randolph, Noyes and Dread. McCorkle would have three to play as well.

It's April...are there still quality high school guys out there? Especially given there's no sign of us being involved with anyone, so it's not like there are guys we're still waiting on to make a decision.

I see us as more likely to leave the last 'ship open if we can't find three transfers. Of course, Mooney's been known to take guys like Dominaus late, so perhaps that's a possibility.

Davidson and McKillop are after him. He passes the eye test. He was highly recruited out of h.s. spiderdad vouches for him. Seeing alot to like here. You bring him and Quinn in and I think that solidifies the roster big time. If we were to land those two, would be OK with going after another h.s. recruit. Still think two play now bigs would be ideal, because even without landing h.s. player, we have a lot of youth and years left at guard and wing between Nelson, Dji, Randolph, Noyes and Dread. McCorkle would have three to play as well.
We have 3 spots right? Quinn, Funk, and McKorkle...I like that with 2 post grads and 3yr guy. I'll take it. IF we land all 3 it fills everything we need

What's the deal with Stephens, has he announced yet? I don't know if we would have a shot at him anyway, but it seems like he's better than Quinn.

I guess I'm a little surprised we haven't heard anything about Grace yet. Team's been done for a few weeks now, and I dunno...if it was me I probably would have made a decision months ago.

Maybe Mooney was in NO for Final Four and waiting for him to come back to make the announcement?

What's the deal with Stephens, has he announced yet? I don't know if we would have a shot at him anyway, but it seems like he's better than Quinn.
Stephens doesn't appear to be in the portal yet, not sure why. All indications are that he plans to use his last year somewhere.

Doesn't seem to be much news on Stephens at all, I didn't look at verbal committs or portal, but not much indication that he is out there, other than the fact that he HAS to transfer to continue to play. Here is article about WVU potentially taking an interest:

It’s possible that non-basketball decisions influence timing as well. For example, can I count that the job market next year will be as hot as it is now or will my future employer let me defer a year? As the commercial says, most of these athletes go professional in something other than sports.

I guess I'm a little surprised we haven't heard anything about Grace yet. Team's been done for a few weeks now, and I dunno...if it was me I probably would have made a decision months ago.

Maybe Mooney was in NO for Final Four and waiting for him to come back to make the announcement?

I don't think it's really even applicable to an announcement but Mooney was indeed at the final 4 in NO.

I don't think it's really even applicable to an announcement but Mooney was indeed at the final 4 in NO.
Thanks for the confirmation. I don't think it's necessarily applicable either...was just trying to come up with a potential explanation for the gap since Goose's announcement if Matt has already made a decision.

I think Stephens was also weighing a pro career, so maybe he's leaning that way? I assume he will have high major interest if he stays in school, but he seems like a perfect fit for us.

Even with Grace we desperately need 2 bigs IMO. Way more of a priority than a shooter/guard. It would be a luxury to get Funk, McCorckle or the Princeton guy. It would be an utter disaster to not get 1 or 2 bigs. If we only get one big we still don't have any depth at that position.

Spider Dad, what do you know about this guy, if anything? Not sure whether he is trying to transfer up or down, but he had a decent year for Rice, and if he can cut it academically there then he's obviously a fit here too. Doubt he's going to go higher than us, either.

Last edited:
Spider Dad, what do you know about this guy, if anything? Not sure whether he is trying to transfer up or down, but he started to come on for Rice in the second half of the year, and if he can cut it academically there then he's obviously a fit here too. Doubt he's going to go higher than us, either.

He was on our G Road team our final year...he's solid but ultimately didn't want to take a back seat to Day'Ron. The speed of the game on the Adidas Circuit really hurt him. Ultimately quit the team and went elsewhere. Highly intelligent and smart academically as well. But hes not the type of Big that would fit for us...imo. Good kid, even better family but kinda lived in a dreamworld bc they thought he should have played over Day'Ron.

He was on our G Road team our final year...he's solid but ultimately didn't want to take a back seat to Day'Ron. The speed of the game on the Adidas Circuit really hurt him. Ultimately quit the team and went elsewhere. Highly intelligent and smart academically as well. But hes not the type of Big that would fit for us...imo. Good kid, even better family but kinda lived in a dreamworld bc they thought he should have played over Day'Ron.
Great insight.
Just think you had to sit silent when Wilson played over Dji. Ugh.

Great insight.
Just think you had to sit silent when Wilson played over Dji. Ugh.
All good...man it's not easy. But I've had some really good people around us in this game. I know there is some kind of running joke on David West, but he's been an amazing resource and friend, as well as a few others in the G Road organization. I vent to them alot 😃 and try to sound like I have it all figured it on here😂 I think being around the game at a high level and being around a lot of high level guys has helped. Doesn't always mean I like everything but I get it...most of the time. As I've said before on here and with Dji "What God has for you, He has for you!" It will work out for Dji and really excited for him moving forward. Now, we are trying to get him to declare his major and thats taking an act of congress 😂

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight! I wonder if his thought process is more realistic now? Seems like the type of guy we should be pursuing in a general sense, but I'll take your word on him not being a specific fit here.

Thanks for the insight! I wonder if his thought process is more realistic now? Seems like the type of guy we should be pursuing in a general sense, but I'll take your word on him not being a specific fit here.
I'm not sure how or if they used him at Rice but he was strong, good footwork type of guy but had trouble with speed and speed of game. To be fair that was almost 3 years ago, so he could have gotten better.

Reactions: Eight Legger
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT