ADVERTISEMENT

Transfer news

Are there any rules regarding the transfer portal, as to who can and can’t transfer?
And if a kid puts his name on the list, is it binding in anyway?

I've sometimes wondered about this...nobody says you HAVE to graduate, do they? Even if you already have enough credits, couldn't you stay another year as an undergrad? As long as you take the NCAA minimum number of credits to be eligible, of course.

I'm not saying it would be a popular option, but does it really matter whether a guy spends an extra year as undergrad or does one year toward a grad degree that he in many cases won't finish anyway?

I've sometimes wondered about this...nobody says you HAVE to graduate, do they? Even if you already have enough credits, couldn't you stay another year as an undergrad? As long as you take the NCAA minimum number of credits to be eligible, of course.

I'm not saying it would be a popular option, but does it really matter whether a guy spends an extra year as undergrad or does one year toward a grad degree that he in many cases won't finish anyway?
I was wondering could Grady start a second undergrad major?

It's certainly sobering seeing some of these four-year guys like Fatts and Grady wanting to use their extra year, but at a different school.

As for Bamisile, music, and hoops...we can claim LiDicky Ball and Dave East. Tough to beat that!
We could let the outgoing president and Abakah recruit him...

Reactions: Eight Legger
Why does the player need to be committed? The coaches are rarely committed. Bigger job with bigger pay comes along and they are usually out of town on the first plane with a bigger bank account. So I can't fault a kid for looking around. If he does put his name in the portal - the kid is either not happy or you need to re recruit him to make him realize this is the best place for him. Or of course - just let him go if you didn't want him anyways.
And remember - it works both ways. While we may be in a position to lose good players looking to move up. We are also in a position to add players from P5 programs looking for more playing time or guys from the lower ranks looking to move up, but P5 might be too much of a jump - guys like Francis and TJ Cline fit that mold. Or an all time spider great - Greg Stevenson - who moved down from Penn State to UR and was awesome for the Spiders.
First of all, I should note I am not commenting on the ethics or morality of it, just the perception I believe it creates. If you don't think it creates a perception, then I can't help you much with that, we all have a different standard for loyalty/commitment.

With that said, I think you need to separate your cases from one another, there's a false equivalence there. If coaches are looking, it's largely being done quietly and you aren't in the coaching transfer portal. Your agent is doing the sniffing.

A player in the portal to me signals something very publicly, which at a bare minimum is "I'm open to offers." If I'm a coach or a fan, I'm pissed about that. If the program truly runs year to year and there's no guarantee you have your scholarship back, then sure, open season. I don't think that's how most places operate though, particularly with starter-level guys.

It's certainly sobering seeing some of these four-year guys like Fatts and Grady wanting to use their extra year, but at a different school.

As for Bamisile, music, and hoops...we can claim LiDicky Ball and Dave East. Tough to beat that!

Just to clarify, Grady does not *want* to use his extra year at another school, he *HAS* to use it at another school. Davidson College does not have a graduate program so if he wants to continue playing basketball he does not have the option for it to be there.

I see somebody else already made this clarification

Yeah, I don't like this whole free agency. As much as some want to treat these players as professionals, the fact is they are 18-20 years old with their first forays into adult life. I think a lot of them think the grass is going to be greener somewhere else and instead of sticking with something and learning and growing from adversity, they are looking for a quick fix and this gives it to them.

I don't think this does players near the benefit in the long run that its proponents feel it will.
Totally agree with this. I will say every kid has a different Situation. I think it comes down to having the right people in your corner. As a dad I want my son to play as much as possible. Realistically though, this is a business and if you don’t have the right people around you, I think you see a lot of what we are seeing...transfers. Not to say all of them have bad people around them but it seems kids just don’t won’t to fight for PT and think they are owed that time. I will share the an example with you guys that I did with my son a few weeks ago... On our Garner Rd. Team the entire team went D1 with 3 HM guys (including Dji to WF at the time) out of that team Dayron(UNC) is the only one who played solid, consistent minutes and that’s bc he’s a monster and just different, as some kids just are. I’m looking at this in terms of Fr in the NCAAs. Carson is at UVA and didn’t see much action, Dji hasn’t and etc. and for the most part that is normal. They are kids and get frustrated bc they are coming from a place where they have kinda always been the “man” I think sitting a lot this year should instill a hunger that you want to prove yourself. It should, and to up and want to transfer bc of something as simple as PT is short sided. This was a free year for kids but as far as transferring goes I don’t think there as been any talk from anyone and certainly not with us. Kids have to experience adversity NOT run from something as simple as PT, imo.

So you can transfer and become immediately eligible even at a school in the same league? Interesting.

Totally agree with this. I will say every kid has a different Situation. I think it comes down to having the right people in your corner. As a dad I want my son to play as much as possible. Realistically though, this is a business and if you don’t have the right people around you, I think you see a lot of what we are seeing...transfers. Not to say all of them have bad people around them but it seems kids just don’t won’t to fight for PT and think they are owed that time. I will share the an example with you guys that I did with my son a few weeks ago... On our Garner Rd. Team the entire team went D1 with 3 HM guys (including Dji to WF at the time) out of that team Dayron(UNC) is the only one who played solid, consistent minutes and that’s bc he’s a monster and just different, as some kids just are. I’m looking at this in terms of Fr in the NCAAs. Carson is at UVA and didn’t see much action, Dji hasn’t and etc. and for the most part that is normal. They are kids and get frustrated bc they are coming from a place where they have kinda always been the “man” I think sitting a lot this year should instill a hunger that you want to prove yourself. It should, and to up and want to transfer bc of something as simple as PT is short sided. This was a free year for kids but as far as transferring goes I don’t think there as been any talk from anyone and certainly not with us. Kids have to experience adversity NOT run from something as simple as PT, imo.
This is the value of sports. If you fail, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and get back at it.

Reactions: SpiderDad75

Thank you for sharing. We're not remotely at the same level, but I had a similar convo with my son who thought he should have made varsity as a freshman and did not. Don't whine--prove that you deserve it and play your ass off on JV.

Thank you for sharing. We're not remotely at the same level, but I had a similar convo with my son who thought he should have made varsity as a freshman and did not. Don't whine--prove that you deserve it and play your ass off on JV.
absolutely...In the HS level you should play where you are going to play... meaning that time and experience will be valuable down the road. If that is on JV then go all out. We have to teach our kids these things. A similar thing happened to Dji in the beginning at Greenfield. In private school, you can play both. Started out on JV at the beginning and that is where most of his minutes were initially, but then Coach saw that he needed to be on Varisty only and was a starter by midseason alongside Coby White as a 5'10 skinny Freshman. The bottom line is that kids need to just work and good things will happen.

Rodney Chatman also looking to use his extra year somewhere else.

Collins is also looking to play another year after finishing up at Davidson.

I'm thinking we might have a decent shot at landing a solid player or two. Setting aside the usual transfers, these extra-year seniors will have an impact on two fronts...if they transfer, they'll need a schollie slot at their new school, and if they stay, they won't use up a slot but some additional younger guys might decide to transfer when they see they won't get as much PT next year.

Seems like a recipe for a lot of extra transfers this year that will need schollie slots, so it could be a bit of musical chairs where the number of guys needing slots is significantly larger than the available number of slots.

I'm of course not taking into account any impact these situations might have on our current guys.

I know it's done and there's no going back, but I kind of feel this "free" year and the right to come back is unfair to the younger guys. if a lot of kids take advantage of it, rosters will be bloated and many young guys will not have nearly the opportunities they expected.

I know the seniors didn't have a normal year. but they did have a year. they played. there is a tournament.

interesting we reached out to Kolek. I don't know the answer if kids can transfer in conference without sitting, it was normally 2 years in conference, so nobody ever did it.

Dad75 ... there are probably a bunch of Garner Road teams. was Dji on the one with Burke Smith?

Apparently we're interested in guards...Cameron Healy out of Albany. Grad transferring after redshirting his first year and playing three. Solid first two years on the court, but was injury-plagued this year.

Reactions: plydogg
Personally, I flamed out at 14, but the lessons stayed with me. My dog doesn't know the difference, but my kids do.

Reactions: SpiderDad75
interesting we reached out to Kolek. I don't know the answer if kids can transfer in conference without sitting, it was normally 2 years in conference, so nobody ever did it.

Dad75 ... there are probably a bunch of Garner Road teams. was Dji on the one with Burke Smith?
No we were on Garner Road West 2020 coached by David West...Dayron Sharpe, Carson Mccorkle, Kaleb Scott, Dji, Evan Joyner, Marcus Elliott Jeremiah Dickinson and Fi Fi Quanash

Reactions: spiderman
The transfer portal is the new reality of college sports and is the "free agency" for these kids. I don't like it, but just like Kentucky, Duke, and UNC - who not only have adapted to the 1 and done rule, but have welcomed it in order to benefit their teams - if you don't adapt to this new reality you will be left behind. Coaches will need to support their kids going into the portal and also be savy enough to recruit kids from the portal to their teams. Its the new normal for college sports - either deal with it or get left behind with season after season of mediocrity.

Reactions: Eight Legger
The transfer portal is the new reality of college sports and is the "free agency" for these kids. I don't like it, but just like Kentucky, Duke, and UNC - who not only have adapted to the 1 and done rule, but have welcomed it in order to benefit their teams - if you don't adapt to this new reality you will be left behind. Coaches will need to support their kids going into the portal and also be savy enough to recruit kids from the portal to their teams. Its the new normal for college sports - either deal with it or get left behind with season after season of mediocrity.
Have to say that Kentucky and Duke are sort of being left behind because they are so reliant on the one and done rule. Kentucky has one national title to show for and so does Duke since the one and done craze has been going on. With the amount of talent they both have had they should have won more titles. I think the transfer portal is for real though and the best programs take great advantage of it. Gonzaga has had several star players who were transfer at one time and so has Baylor; guess what, the are the two best teams right now. The transfer portal is different because guys mature and get more experience as they stay in school. Relying on the portal is a lot more sustainable than the one and done players.

The transfer portal is different because guys mature and get more experience as they stay in school. Relying on the portal is a lot more sustainable than the one and done players.

I agree with this, but would add the portal allow will not work, you have to mix the four year players along with needed transfers.

Perhaps so. I still think it’s a bit of an oversimplification. If a guy is going to “test the waters” it fundamentally changes the nature of the relationship with the program he’s in. At some point the program will stop holding spots for returning players if they enter the portal. Perhaps that’s just the calculus they have to make before they put their name in.

Of note, I do think UR has to get more active on the transfer front. We have been better of late but we have been far too slow to adapt to transfers compared to other A10 programs.

I agree with this, but would add the portal allow will not work, you have to mix the four year players along with needed transfers.
And that’s what I meant by my statement. The most successful programs right now have the right mix between four year guys and high level transfers.

First of all, I should note I am not commenting on the ethics or morality of it, just the perception I believe it creates. If you don't think it creates a perception, then I can't help you much with that, we all have a different standard for loyalty/commitment.

With that said, I think you need to separate your cases from one another, there's a false equivalence there. If coaches are looking, it's largely being done quietly and you aren't in the coaching transfer portal. Your agent is doing the sniffing.

A player in the portal to me signals something very publicly, which at a bare minimum is "I'm open to offers." If I'm a coach or a fan, I'm pissed about that. If the program truly runs year to year and there's no guarantee you have your scholarship back, then sure, open season. I don't think that's how most places operate though, particularly with starter-level guys.
Since your issue is perception, do you think it would be better if players had agents that could quietly sniff around for transfers?

To me, it sounds like you’re saying the issue is the transfer portal system, not the act of players looking for a transfer.

We start allowing players to be paid, in any method,the portal will become. Market place

Since your issue is perception, do you think it would be better if players had agents that could quietly sniff around for transfers?

To me, it sounds like you’re saying the issue is the transfer portal system, not the act of players looking for a transfer.
Maybe? I just think it creates a dynamic where the player is saying they’re open for business. I don’t think that inspires confidence with a coach.

I am not commenting on the merit of the portal btw, it clearly has great benefit to players, particularly those who are definitively looking to transfer.

some interesting stats here. a quarter of the D1 transfers go to D2 and a quarter go lower. those sound like kids forced out.
about a third of all transfers are grad transfers.

I am not saying I like the transfer portal - just saying, like all schools - we will have to learn to deal with it. Sure - we might lose some kids from time to time, but we can also pick up kids as well. We are in a unique position where we can likely pick up players from both sides of the spectrum - lower D1 looking to move up and P5 kids who were not happy.
Schools like Kentucky, Duke, UNC will catch on. Their issue right now is trying to balance. Kentucky takes all 1 and done players. But if they can ever figure out how to mix 1 and done with transfers, they could be dangerous.
The issue I see with UR using the transfer portal is grad transfers are difficult for us because of limited grad programs, but we can benefit from kids who 2+ years eligibility. The other difficulty is when recruiting - do you plan on this and set a scholarship aside for a transfer, because usually those kids don't enter their names until after the season is over and most schools have given up their scholarships by that point. Or do you give out full amount to HS kids and if one of your own transfers, you look for a transfer to replace? It really could change the dynmanic of recruiting if kids no longer have to sit out a year because then I think schools will leave a scholarship open most years looking for a suitable transfer after the season.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT