ADVERTISEMENT

This team deserves 2 NCAA banners

UR80sfan

Star
Jan 28, 2018
This team deserves 2 NCAA banners. When we raise the 21-22 NCAA banner we should also raise a 19-20 NCAA banner with a “?” and 24 – 7. This team needs to be recognized for what they have accomplished over the past 3 years, where they have been one of the top teams in the history of U of R

The 19-20 season had the most regular season wins and highest SRS in school history and we were playing our best basketball at the end of the season. We finished strong winning 9 of the last 10 games and blowing out most team. Below are 7 of our wins at the end of the season:

GW 76-54
La sale 74-47
VCU 77-59
George Mason 65-50
Mass 95-71
Davidson 80-63
Duquesne 73-62

A lot of people predicted we would have had a nice run in the NCAA.

This team deserves 2 NCAA banners. When we raise the 21-22 NCAA banner we should also raise a 19-20 NCAA banner with a “?” and 24 – 7. This team needs to be recognized for what they have accomplished over the past 3 years, where they have been one of the top teams in the history of U of R

The 19-20 season had the most regular season wins and highest SRS in school history and we were playing our best basketball at the end of the season. We finished strong winning 9 of the last 10 games and blowing out most team. Below are 7 of our wins at the end of the season:

GW 76-54
La sale 74-47
VCU 77-59
George Mason 65-50
Mass 95-71
Davidson 80-63
Duquesne 73-62

Yes sir, I’m with youUR80sfan. 💯🕷🕷🕷🏀🏀

No there should not be 2 banners. The NCAA gave all players a “redo” and the super seniors took that offer and made it to the tournament this year. The super seniors would not have had unfinished business if they made it to the tournament in a previous year. They can celebrate the fact they got another chance and were able to achieve their goal. Congratulations to the team on the 2021-2022 season.

No other school in the country who was in or not in 2020 would hang such a banner. It’s just idiotic. They would hang a conference championship and that would be if They won the tournament.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer

GW 76-54
La sale 74-47
VCU 77-59
George Mason 65-50
Mass 95-71
Davidson 80-63
Duquesne 73-62

No doubt 80 that the 2019-20 team was much better than this one, but they didn’t get the chance to prove it. No banner for “what if”.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Highest SRS in school history…now that’s a banner I can get behind. Put it next to the one for tastiest dining hall food.
If only they would let the dining hall folks run the concessions, which are absolutely embarrassing. It's nothing but lousy fast food that was cooked 2 hours before the game and served lukewarm.

If only they would let the dining hall folks run the concessions, which are absolutely embarrassing. It's nothing but lousy fast food that was cooked 2 hours before the game and served lukewarm.
Hell, they couldn’t afford a regular size popcorn box. They were giving out two tiny little bags to make up for it. They cut the syrup in half in the soft drinks also. I had to buy that crap to keep from wearing a mask.

No other school in the country who was in or not in 2020 would hang such a banner. It’s just idiotic. They would hang a conference championship and that would be if They won the tournament.

actually I believe Florida State did. They hung a ncaa cancelled banner with their final ranking. I don’t think it was a twitter photoshop deal either. Not sure if any others but wouldn’t totally shock me. But FSU got mocked for it as u would expect.

I’m not for it but now that U of R had the banner for 21-22 I could see them going back & putting something like that up because it’s now easier to get away with it.

I hope not. It diminishes when you actually make the tourney and put up a banner if you put up banners for woulda/coulda/shoulda situations.

This team should rightly celebrated for this year’s run and their accomplishments the past 5 years. But we don’t need to put up banners for things that didn’t happen.

We hang banners for CBI & CIT and whatever other buy-in events exist…I think we lost all respect when it came to banner hanging years ago.

personally I don’t see any reason to hang a banner, particularly now. It’s not like we were Dayton in mortal lock territory…think we were in the same shape as VCU was this year. We’ve already paid Mooney as if we made it. We certainly didn’t get any NCAA money from it. We did get the extra year for all the players - and they finally converted it. Think 1 banner is more than enough.

So I just read that the A-10 tournament winner is considered the actual official conference champion. Therefore, we should get an A-10 Championship banner and an NCAA banner. So 2 is correct.

Hang a banner for all the people that died while the kids were playing basketball. Geez.

No there should not be 2 banners. The NCAA gave all players a “redo” and the super seniors took that offer and made it to the tournament this year. The super seniors would not have had unfinished business if they made it to the tournament in a previous year. They can celebrate the fact they got another chance and were able to achieve their goal. Congratulations to the team on the 2021-2022 season.
Honor must be given to everyone’s opinion.
We hang banners for CBI & CIT and whatever other buy-in events exist…I think we lost all respect when it came to banner hanging years ago.

personally I don’t see any reason to hang a banner, particularly now. It’s not like we were Dayton in mortal lock territory…think we were in the same shape as VCU was this year. We’ve already paid Mooney as if we made it. We certainly didn’t get any NCAA money from it. We did get the extra year for all the players - and they finally converted it. Think 1 banner is more than
Hang a banner for all the people that died while the kids were playing basketball. Geez.
Come on man, do you think it is crazy to award belts like Providence to motivate players.

While we are hanging banners let's give Mac Pitt and the 34-35 squad their due - 20 and 0. From our media guide:

The 1934-35 team placed all five Starters on the All-State team. Over three seasons the squad won 24 consecutive games which is the longest winning streak in Richmond basketball history. The 1934-35 team is also the only Richmond squad to ever record a perfect season.

No banner for the COVID year. No one else gets to hang one - not even schools like Duke, Gonzaga, etc - that make the tourney every year and was guaranteed - so no. In the record book - simply put an asterisk explaining A10 tourney was cancelled and no NCAA tourney.

NOW - how the administration handles that when looking at Mooney and staff body of work - that is up to them. I am willing to bet they consider it an NCAA appearance, followed by NIT, followed by NCAA with a win. If that is the case - that 3 year run gets him a raise and extension. If COVID didn't happen and this team just made the tourney in the COVID year and lost first round, then made NIT next year with all the injuries, then followed by this year - we would be crowning Mooney as King of Richmond.

Instead - we don't know what would have happened in the COVID year, then we feel disappointed with NIT after such a good season, and we go a run this year for NCAA to save the day.

We've got a bit of revisionist history going on this week. All credit in the world goes to team and staff for this run - I didn't think they had it in them, but they delivered when it matters.

But the 2020 team was on the bubble - we lose our first game in the A10 tournament and good chance we don't get in.

Work to do​

i

Richmond Spiders

Richmond finds itself in the suspenseful position of being shown in the NCAA tournament by some mock brackets and out of the field by others. In other words, it's close, and the Spiders' bracket in the Atlantic 10 tournament could allow them to gain just enough ground to make the cut. A potential quarterfinal against Davidson, for example, would be a high Quad 2 opportunity, as would a possible semifinal against Rhode Island. Wins there could be enough for a team with a top-40 NET ranking and a 24-7 record highlighted by the 10-point neutral-floor win over Wisconsin (though Badgers fans hasten to point out that the contest was played before Micah Potter became eligible).

We have to win the tournament every time we want to get in. I repeat, we have to win the tournament every year to get in.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
I think the real hero here (or villain depending on how you look at things) is 05. As we are learning more and more, players, coaches, family, admin, etc etc are either reading this boar, or aware of the sentiment of this board. Soooo, we are dead in the water without and A10 tournament championship, 05 starts a petition - team wins A10 and Mooney is safe. So again, depending on your take and how the next few years play out - '05 is the real MVP, or the real villain.

What 05 did certainly lit a fire. That’s probably all the basketball program talked about for the weeks before the A-10 tourney. For whatever reason, the kids played hard for 5 games in a row and accomplished their goals. No doubt the petition played some part in that.

Reactions: Eight Legger
What 05 did certainly lit a fire. That’s probably all the basketball program talked about for the weeks before the A-10 tourney. For whatever reason, the kids played hard for 5 games in a row and accomplished their goals. No doubt the petition played some part in that.
Yes the petition and whatever number of emails went into the University President and the AD had an affect. I am sure that this is also the reason why Cooley made his statement and why Mooney’s wife looked so stressed. It all made a difference.

I think the pressure is still on to a degree. The A10 is not going to get any less competitive and it sure seems like there are expectations for the investment made in the basketball program. That was my question all along - how can there be no accountability for a significant investment? A college or university does not have to invest tons of money in a basketball program to foster the environment that the former UR football player talked about in another thread. However if the school wants to thrive in today’s college sports environment, it sure does. So what is the priority? Hopefully the past couple of weeks have convinced the administration that having an A10 championship basketball team matters and building the next championship team is important.

Queally wasn't shy about expressing his feelings of vindication after the A-10 tourney win. I guess once every ten years is good enough for him.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Yes the petition and whatever number of emails went into the University President and the AD had an affect. I am sure that this is also the reason why Cooley made his statement and why Mooney’s wife looked so stressed. It all made a difference.

I think the pressure is still on to a degree. The A10 is not going to get any less competitive and it sure seems like there are expectations for the investment made in the basketball program. That was my question all along - how can there be no accountability for a significant investment? A college or university does not have to invest tons of money in a basketball program to foster the environment that the former UR football player talked about in another thread. However if the school wants to thrive in today’s college sports environment, it sure does. So what is the priority? Hopefully the past couple of weeks have convinced the administration that having an A10 championship basketball team matters and building the next championship team is important.
Agree with you. They saw that the “aw-shucks we competed but lost to the best team in country” act wasn’t going to cut it anymore. Thanks again to the Emailers and 05.

Agreed, the reactions of Mooney's wife at the end of the Davidson game were tears of relief as much as they were tears of joy. Add to that Gilly's comments as well.

The coaching staff, team, and the program knew they were under immense pressure from the fan base. The petition, this board, social media, all of it. We (collectively) were done, we said enough is enough, and I think that message was going to resonate in Mooney being let go after the season.

It is my hope that everyone in our athletic administration realizes both the values of its flagship sport performing at its highest level (from exposure, to giving, to alumni feeling connected to UR). I think they did. I heard Hardt's comments on the value of an NCAA bid, I saw our new President having just a wonderful time at the A-10 and NCAA tournament, they sure pumped out some fundraising opportunities the past week. I bet they saw some people giving who haven't given in a while.

I hope this experience changes them all, that we never have to go down the path of alienating large swaths of our alumni and fanbase again. If we are gonna offer Mooney an extension, make it incentive laden, and with a firm understanding that we expect and demand regular NCAA tournament bids out of his program. And if that doesn't happen, changes will occur.

One thing I do know is that this fanbase will not go quietly into the night and our administration had best remember that as well.

Queally wasn't shy about expressing his feelings of vindication after the A-10 tourney win. I guess once every ten years is good enough for him.
I suspect the A10 win lifted tons off Q/H/M's shoulders. Who knows whether Q/H would have saved Mooney if we didn't win the tournament after under-performing during the season with such high expectations. Winning the tournament made their decision making moot. I wonder if there was ever really any pressure or just business as usual.

Reactions: Eight Legger
He replied to one of the postings on the hoops Facebook page. Will have to look for it.
If you find it, can you post it here.

My guess is that it's similar to what that "all weather fan lady's" tweet after the A10 tourney. I'd expect Queally to be more diplomatic, but based upon how he's poorly worded things on other university related issues, I'm not sure.

It was on a post in the UR Alumni group right after they won the A-10 championship:

"Congratulations to the team. No one believed we could do it. Very few people understand how hard it is to win at a high academic school competing in a mid major conference. I never lost faith in Chris. He is an amazing coach. Go Spiders!"

And when one person pushed back citing Mooney's overall record, Queally said "You just watched flawless coaching today."

Not sure if he made other posts...I don't follow comments in there that closely, but happened to spot that one.

You know he was relieved also. Saved him from looking like a total fool.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT