ADVERTISEMENT

Proud of this team!

urfan1

Jan 9, 2003
Coming off a playoff year, lost key players new O Coordinators, many inexperienced, or limited experienced players. Started off poorly, but the players nor the staff quit, they kept it together to win 8 regular season games. With all factors considered this is a team we can all be proud of. Those that jumped off the wagon early, lesson learned,

Coming off a playoff year, lost key players new O Coordinators, many inexperienced, or limited experienced players. Started off poorly, but the players nor the staff quit, they kept it together to win 8 regular season games. With all factors considered this is a team we can all be proud of. Those that jumped off the wagon early, lesson learned,
post game story said this was the Spiders 13th football Championship...for all the reasons mentioned it has to be the most unlikely Championship of all!...

congrats to the players and staff on the remarkable midseason turnaround...

Go Spiders!

I know many don't like Huesman but we are 21-7 (.750) since Mancuso came back from his injury on 10/30/21. We will make the playoffs this year, we made them last year and we would have made them in 2021 had Mancuso stayed healthy all season.
We should have made the playoffs in 2017, with Lauletta, but we didn't. That was on Huesman'.

Proud of this team is an understatement! Takes a long time to build a program! 5 years ago this program struggled on the field and was fighting to overcome devastating tragedy off of it with the passing of Gus Lee. Huge credit to the coaches and players for leaning on each other and pushing through. May not have been as fast as the fans wanted, but these guys have kept at it every day when their back was against the wall.

A Mancuso injury derailed the middle of 2021, but as mentioned on another thread since late October of ‘21 this Spider team has been damn good and consistent. Having faced the adversity on and off the field and the coaches and players resiliently rising above it makes me think this program is in great hands!

If we’re left out today, it’s the most nonsensical decision by the committee ever. What makes Delaware a better pick?? (That’s a convo for another thread)

Good luck to the boys and hope to see another great turnout after yesterday for a Spider playoff win next week!

6 years later. Give it up.
Most of you were calling for Huesman's head in 2020 and 2021 and after the Morgan State and Hampton games this season. The VMI players last season saved his job. For the first time since Lauletta he had a really good QB and a top level Offensive Coordinator.

The criticism was that Huesman is too dependent on a style of play centered around bruising running Quarterbacks, which the Rocco teams were not. Mancuso was a case in point, so is Wickersham. CAA defenses are too big and powerful. Running Quarterbacks get injured. The praise around Wickersham is that he runs over defenders, but for how long? We will see how long it lasts.

Reactions: gcarter52
Most of you were calling for Huesman's head in 2020 and 2021 and after the Morgan State and Hampton games this season. The VMI players last season saved his job. For the first time since Lauletta he had a really good QB and a top level Offensive Coordinator.

The criticism was that Huesman is too dependent on a style of play centered around bruising running Quarterbacks, which the Rocco teams were not. Mancuso was a case in point, so is Wickersham. CAA defenses are too big and powerful. Running Quarterbacks get injured. The praise around Wickersham is that he runs over defenders, but for how long? We will see how long it lasts.
Western Michigan's offense didn't set the world on fire this season. Good qbs make all the difference no matter the coordinator.

To some degree, I agree with you, but many times KW was at the second level when he got hit and appeared to me he
overpowered many a DB. I think the overall run game has improved due to the improvement in our OL. Elon and W&M had good DL with some all CAA performers. Both those games we won substantially the possession time. I think if we had a bigger RB who was more of a KW size, we would have less need for QB running. But a running QB puts a ton of pressure on the opposing defense, especially if he can pass.

This team has really come together. The defense is very strong. The offense and especially the offensive line has improved. The coaches built on their successes from last year by solidifying the receiving corps. Wickersham has one of the highest completion percentages in the country.

Don't count the chickens too soon. We were snubbed once before at 8-3 (with a much stronger schedule). I don't want us to be Rodney Dangerfield again, I have fingers crossed.
Correct, we may not even make the tourney. However, there are 24 teams in the tourney now. We are certainly more deserving than Delaware and the 5th, 6th, or 7th MVFC team.

Last edited:
But Kyle is, at 250, bigger than most defenders
Yes, if we play Morgan State and Hampton, he is bigger than most DBs. But not most defenses in the CAA and certainly not bigger than most of the playoff teams we will play against. Teams will scout him and will punish him. Although Wickersham has been handing out his own form of punishment.

Last edited:
Yes, if we play Morgan State and Hampton, he is bigger than most DBs. But not most defenses in the CAA and certainly not bigger than most of the playoff teams we will play against.
Name all the DBs that are bigger than 6'3" 250 lbs.

Reactions: urfan1
well tbf neither can Mancuso
We were 2-1 when Mancuso got hurt; should have been 3-0 had the D not collapsed against Villanova in the last five minutes. We were 4-0 when we came back, so he was 6-1 as a starter. I think you can pretty safely assume we would not have been 0-4 in the games he didn't start.

My larger point to Mr. G was, on the day my son graduated from law school I didn't bring up the B- he had on a calculus test as a high school sophomore.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
We were 2-1 when Mancuso got hurt; should have been 3-0 had the D not collapsed against Villanova in the last five minutes. We were 4-0 when we came back, so he was 6-1 as a starter. I think you can pretty safely assume we would not have been 0-4 in the games he didn't start.

My larger point to Mr. G was, on the day my son graduated from law school I didn't bring up the B- he had on a calculus test as a high school sophomore.

Sure, but still can’t be proven.

I understood your larger point. I don’t think u understood my singular one.

• Haha
Reactions: Gallipoli
Well done by the staff and players to not give up on the season. I was one of the angry naysayers after how we started, but clearly this team overcame those mistakes and were able to deliver a championship and playoff berth, which should always be the goals of the program. Congrats and sorry for ever doubting y'all. Looking forward to seeing if the Spiders can make a run.

Who do you think actually turned our season around? A running qb or a passing qb with that deep ball threat?
I think the OCs turned the season around when they allowed all the QBs to throw the ball down the field. The two FCS losses were as much on the coaches as anyone. Kyle throws a good deep ball and he can run. Coleman will be a good qb, Hardy as well. It's a good problem to have.

Season seemed to flip when early in the Maine game we broke out the gadget plays and threw for a bunch of TDs. We had been so conservative up to that point and then just turned the switch. When we’ve played aggressively we’ve played well.

Today wasn’t the result anyone was looking for… I’m sure the players and coaches more so than anyone else on this forum. The better team in this outing won today. No doubt.

This team could’ve folded and gave in at 2-3. Most on here realize they got up off the mat and won 7 straight playoff games. That, to me, should be commended. You learn a whole lot about people during tough times and these players and coaches showed they’re tough people!

In the last 30 games played, the Spiders are 22-8. Think we all agree there’s room for improvement, there always is. That said, we’re trending in the right direction. Im sure the team will put their heads down next week and get back to work and getting better.

I’m sure the transfer portal will be an emotional roller coaster as always. There will be guys that want, and will be told, they have power 4 opportunities or more playing time elsewhere. Sometimes those work out and sometimes they don’t. And we’ll likely bring in guys as well (and also have mixed success). It’s the new world. I don’t fault guys for entering the portal. I do hope they do it for the right reasons and have a good support system in place.

And obviously I hope we take advantage where we can as well.

Rankin already tweeting offers from Coastal, Utah State, Charlotte, and Tulsa.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT