ADVERTISEMENT

The Official John Newman Jr Recruiting Thread

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
Might as well get this going. John led the Team Loaded 15U team in scoring at the HG JamFest today.

Might as well get this going. John led the Team Loaded 15U team in scoring at the HG JamFest today.
Great genes! Of course his dad was a great player but also a really good guy. Hope John aims to be a Spider. Roll Spide!

I hate to say this, but how many times do you see Mr. Newman (the dad) at UR spider games? Very rarely.....and to be honest, I attend both VCU and UR games because they are in Richmond and know people that attend both and he seems to attend more VCU games than UR games - so I don't think the fact that he attended UR and was our greatest player ever will have any bearing on him attending UR.

Disagree Trap. I see him fairly often at the RC. Usually sits at the corner of the table at the base line, but sometimes on the courtside
row on the side..

I hate to say this, but how many times do you see Mr. Newman (the dad) at UR spider games? Very rarely.....and to be honest, I attend both VCU and UR games because they are in Richmond and know people that attend both and he seems to attend more VCU games than UR games - so I don't think the fact that he attended UR and was our greatest player ever will have any bearing on him attending UR.
Sorry, Trap, but IMHO you are nuts. Mr. Newman is a Spider through and through and as such I think he would be very pleased for his son to be a Spider.

Johnny Newman comes to a lot of game. They usually recognize him once or twice a year at the game, but I've seen him other nights as well.

never know what a kid wants. follow in his legendary father's footsteps, or make his own path.
hope it's here but if the latter ... anywhere but VCU, please.

Trap is correct. JN has been upset with UR since they did not hire him when CM was hired. Johnny is a great guy but no way can an A10 school hire a guy who has never coached a college team in his life.I have known JN for a long time but he is way off base on this. This comes straight from his old team mates at UR.

Wouldn't that be great to the here the announcer at RC once again saying "Johnny Neeeeeeeewman".

Be nice to also have Johnny Newman Sr. as an assistant coach for 4 years. Teach some boys to SHOOT!!!!

I hate to make you feel better but I know Johnny Newman through the Henrico Police Athletic League. He holds a annual basketball camp for the kids. He knows I went to VCU and he is forever talking trash. He is definitely a Spider. Ha! The big question is whether his son will be.
Kids are funny because for some reason as teenagers they think they know everything and have a mind of their own:)

Last edited:
Trap is correct. JN has been upset with UR since they did not hire him when CM was hired. Johnny is a great guy but no way can an A10 school hire a guy who has never coached a college team in his life.I have known JN for a long time but he is way off base on this. This comes straight from his old team mates at UR.

Wow, that is crazy.

a big east school just hired a guy with zero coaching experience so it can be done. think they were wrong and as much as i like JN, we would have been wrong as well.

I am not saying Johnny would choose VCU over UR, but another thing to remember - when it comes to your kids and college choices, I would have no allegiances whatsoever. I would want what is best for my child, his career on the court, and in the classroom - and if that is somewhere else - then so be it. I think I saw an article somewhere else that said Greg Beckwith's daughter, who plays soccer - chose VCU over UR. If I were Beckwith - for those 4 years I would be the biggest VCU supporter for those 4 years for my child.

I just don't think Newman is as big a UR supporter as you think. Other than his banner in the rafters, no much presence by the guy considering he is easily the greatest players ever at UR and from what I gather, lives in Richmond.

FWIW, Johnny Newman is John Newman Jr. His son is John Newman III. Really like how he plays.

Very interesting. For what it's worth, Jim hired Chris, so perhaps any hard feelings left when Keith arrived and hopefully developed the relationship.

Additionally, while i started this thread it's only an assumption that he'll be on our recruiting radar. He may not be as good as his dad ... or might be a whole lot better. Who knows?

Very interesting, nonetheless.

Johnny Newman is at plenty of games. Not sure what would lead someone to believe otherwise. And I can assure you that he lets everyone know he's a Spider during all the community stuff he does, especially PAL.

Johnny is more involved in commercial property management and Valero franchises as his day job. Being a great player does not
make you a great coach. Look at all the bench players, managers and such who were not in the spotlight who came great coaches.
But John Newman is a Spider all the way!

by the way ...
graduated from UR with a degree in sociology and criminal justice.
earned a master’s degree in recreation, parks and sports leadership from Virginia Commonwealth University’s SportsCenter.
does a lot. very impressive guy.

Could it be a player from North Carolina for CP3 against Team Loaded (VA)?

by the way ...
graduated from UR with a degree in sociology and criminal justice.
earned a master’s degree in recreation, parks and sports leadership from Virginia Commonwealth University’s SportsCenter.
does a lot. very impressive guy.
Oh No. Don't tell Nulla, a degree from VCU, get the rescue squad. I see a heart attack.

There is a whole lot of confusion in this thread. Johnny Newman's son John Newman III is out of college. He played at St. Augustine's in Raleigh.

The John Newman Jr. this thread is focused on is from Greensboro and is the son of former JMU player John Newman.

I'm going off a string of tweets from a recruiting analyst @Hatfieldsports and a Daily Press writer, Sonny Dearth yesterday. I'll go ahead and blame the media if they don't know what they're talking about.

Newman sits right around the corner from me at games - probably saw him at 4 or 5 last season. I also spoke with him in San Antonio at the Sweet 16 so he is definitely a Spider. Who knows what that means for his son but New is proud of his school.

Newman sits right around the corner from me at games - probably saw him at 4 or 5 last season. I also spoke with him in San Antonio at the Sweet 16 so he is definitely a Spider. Who knows what that means for his son but New is proud of his school.
LOL...I can't tell if this is a troll comment or not. :D

Since he graduated in June 2013, Does John Newman III have more time to cheer for the Spiders?

There is a whole lot of confusion in this thread. Johnny Newman's son John Newman III is out of college. He played at St. Augustine's in Raleigh.

The John Newman Jr. this thread is focused on is from Greensboro and is the son of former JMU player John Newman.
seinfeld-newman.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT