ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse Game Thread 11/21/2022

And nothing to show from those 5 straight offensive rebounds. What a joke.

Game should never have gotten to that point.

So frustrating watching this year over year. Decent teams that are poorly coached in situational basketball and can’t execute. Just to have 1 good year in a decade and see it extend for another freaking decade.

Just painful.

Offensively we just look lost against zones and have for years. He is married to his zone offense, but its a high school (middle school) zone offense and a good zone team just shuts us down. Give a decent coach five legit D1 players and they can make us look bad against a zone.

I will spare Nelson some here because he is the guy stuck holding the ball when the whole thing breaks down and there is nowhere to go etc. Looking this bad against zone happened well before Nelson got here!

Mooney - can we make one more pass? Can we take the clock down to violation one more time? I think I heard announcer say 4 times in second half? Once is terrible, but 4 times????

Awful execution in OT for a game we should have won in regulation.

Mooney forever.

Don’t blame Moody on this one. Your star and supposedly NBA prospect has to deliver when game on line. 1 out 6 free throws and two misses with light contact around basket when game on line in last 5 minutes does not equal a star player. Give me Bigelow or even Nelson at crunch time.

This was terrible to watch. Too many times Nelson has run out the clock. Burton collapses in crucial moments as he did last year. This is Bigelow’s team. Wish he and Roche got the ball more. Most of the game went well, but the last 6 minutes of regulation plus overtime may be the worst coaching I’ve ever seen from Mooney.
That is saying a lot.

4 shot clock violations- bad point guard play
Or terrible coaching that told his PG to go into prevent offense. Prevent us from getting good shots and scoring.

He’s done this with Anderson and Gilyard and every other quality guard we had in the last 18 years . The only difference 10 years ago and last year is Anderson and Gilyard were 4/5 year players and Nelson is a redshirt FR.

I don’t blame Nelson but if I were him I would ignore my coach and run the offense. And if he wants to bench me so be it.

. Most of the game went well, but the last 6 minutes of regulation plus overtime may be the worst coaching I’ve ever seen from Mooney.

Now that's saying a lot. You may be right but I'll have to think about that for a few minutes. So many to choose from....
Then again, 4 shot clock violations in the last 5 minutes+overtime WOW

Burton disappeared because Mooney let Nelson dribble at the top of the keyword 25 seconds every possession for the last 10 minutes. What the he'll do they talk about in the huddle each of the last 17 times. "I think this is working great, let's keep getting shot clock violations" Cuse ran the same defense they always do. I am regretting our run last year already.

Players win games. This one was there numerous times for the taking. Guys did not get it done. Hope they improve at finishing games as this team could easily be 4 and 0 even though they have a lot of improving to do at this point. I do think there were a lot better options than Neal at foul line to receive pass in last possession of regulation.

Taking the air out of the ball and killing any offense aggressiveness is a patented CM trait. It happens just about every game. That said, Burton going 1 for 6 down the stretch from the foul line is killer. Another wasted opportunity, although very predictable and unsurprising. The characters change, but the director stays the same.

Way premature for comments like this. Nelson is a good player. And could be great.

His coach put him in a terrible position and he didn’t play well. We’ve seen it from other kids early in their careers who became great players, despite the awful coaching.
Nelson may be a good player in the future, you are premature in your assessment. My assessment is spot on currently.

We finished 13 for 31 from three, even better than what I had predicted we would need to win or be close. Unfortunately, too many turnovers, missed free throws and just generally poor decision-making when it mattered the most doomed us again. We have all seen this movie WAY too many times by now. Any at-large hopes are pretty much out the window five games into the season.

Call a time out, run a play, set some screens to free up Roche, move without the ball. Do anything besides dribbling around for 20 seconds.

Reactions: SpiderK
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT