ADVERTISEMENT

Swimming

SpiderVol

Team Manager
Sep 21, 2001
Hi SF, any news on the women's team?

I haven't seen much other than they are getting ready for the conference championships soon.

Any recruiting news out there? I have only seen one commitment and wasn't overly impressed.

Not much news from here. Nice to see the dual meet win over Fordham a few weeks ago. Not too concerned about losses to Duquesne and GW in the fall.

Matt always has them primed to perform at A-10s, and I expect they'll come away with another championship. Duquesne may push them though, so no relay DQs please!

Recruiting seems average this year...haven't seen word of any rock stars so far. Need to bring in some breaststrokers. Annie Lane will be a big loss in both breast and free. Hannah Verrette will be missed in backstroke, but fortunately we've still got Gouger and Kohut there.

Do you think recruiting is a factor of having fewer and fewer funds each year?

I've only seen 1 commitment, who happens to be from a local program.

Certainly funding is an issue, but Matt's been dealing with that since the moment he set foot on campus. There's a reason we're no longer regularly sending swimmers to NCAAs, and it's not Matt's fault.

The belt has continued to tighten a bit I think, so I'm sure it's not helping things. Not sure how much more it's hurting so far though.

I know of three signees, including the local one you're likely referring to, one from NJ, and one from NY.

Ashley Meyer
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/290589/

Grace Palfreyman
https://www.tapinto.net/towns/bridg...-seniors-palfreyman-and-bugianesi-commit-to-s
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/395221/

Maggie Purcell
http://www.27east.com/mobile/articl...tinue-Her-Career-At-The-Unversity-Of-Richmond
https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/346796/

Better days should be coming.

They look like they are bringing in a deep and solid recruiting class.

They have suffered from some attrition since last year.

They lost one of their top overall swimmers, rising JR Virginia Marsh, who transfered to UNC. She was the school record holder in the 200 FR and their top overall sprinter and crucial on relays.

They also lost their top FR from last season, Jordan Kohut who scored well st A-10 Champs and was also a key relay swimmer. I’m not sure if she just quit the team, left school, or is taking a season off.

Swimming and Diving places 4th at A10.Quite a feat with a small roster due to transfers and lack of scholarships.A true testament to Matt’s coaching abilities along with his assistants.

Women - Team Rankings:

1. Duquesne University 580.5
2. George Washington University 562
3. Fordham University 507.5
4. University of Richmond 505
5. University of Massachusetts 333
6. George Mason University 256.5
7. La Salle University 232.5
8. Davidson College 222.5
9. St Bonaventure University 215
10. Saint Louis University 181
11. University of Rhode Island 91.5

_XII0035.jpg

Spiders Take Fourth at Atlantic 10 Swim and Dive Championships

Release: 02/23/2019
Geneva, Ohio - The final day of competition saw Spiders set new PRs and take the podium to take fourth overall at the Atlantic 10 Swim and Dive Conference Championships.

The women competed in the 200 backstroke, 100 freestyle, 200 breaststroke, 200 fly, 3 meter diving, the 1,650 freestyle and the 400 freestyle relay. The Spiders took the podium three times and one earned the most outstanding athlete award.

In swimming prelims, the 200 back event was raced by junior Hannah Gouger and sophomore Ellie Ronan. Gouger raced a 1:56.70 and earned the top seed heading into the finals; Ronan swam a 2:02.25, earning 10th overall and a spot in the consolation finals. In the 100 free, six Spiders raced: senior Bryn Robertson (55.60), sophomore Mallory Shake(52.99) and freshman Grace Palfreyman (52.09 - PR) were all edged out of finals contention. Freshman Kristine Mihm took 17th - out of contention for a seed in the finals, by one hundredth of a second despite a strong personal best time. Senior Lauren Wallace raced a 51.39 and earned 10th in prelims and a spot in consolation finals and junior Eliza Manning went out for a 51.03 to take a spot in the finals. The 200 breast saw four Richmond swimmers compete. Freshman Ashley Meyer went 2:22.90, while freshman teammate Jenna Carastro went 2:21.48 for a personal best. Carastro earned a bid in the consolation finals while Meyer barely missed the top 16 cut. Junior Lexie Gilbertrecorded a time of 2:22.25 which earned her a bid in the consolation finals race. Freshman Maggie Purcell raced a 2:17.63 - a personal best and advanced to the finals. The 200 fly saw freshmen Meyer and Carastro make repeat appearances, but both missed the cut-off into finals. Senior Morgan Soulia raced well, recording a personal best of 2:03.12 and she advanced to finals.

The divers had an extremely strong showing in the prelims. Sophmore Natalie Hawley battled sickness and scored well for her team (164.5). Freshman Emma Yeakley scored 217.05, just 3 points away from the 16th seed, missing the cut-off for finals. Junior Maddy Chao scored 244.0 and placed tenth in prelims, earning her a spot in the consolation finals. Juniors Sydney Weiskopf and Alex Beran took sixth and fourth respectively and earned themselves a bid into finals. Chao turned around to compete in the consolation finals, recording a personal best score of 273.35.

In the afternoon event, senior Nicole Piercy swam the mile, racing to beat her personal best and set a time that would earn her a spot on the podium. She did not disappoint. Racing a time of 16.51.02, Piercy crushed her PR and set herself up to take third on the podium.

In finals, up first was the 200 back. Seeded 10th, Ronan beat her seeding to win the consolation finals with a time of 2:00.16. Gouger was out to repeat her success in the 100 back and she came out swinging. With a 100 split of 55.51, Gouger set a time of 1:54.36. This time qualified her for the NCAA B Cut Qualifier, reset her personal best and program record, set the conference record and won the event. Wallace swam the consolation final event, recording a personal best time of 51.14; Manning swam the final event, recording a time of 50.89, a personal best, to go fifth overall. Carastro swam her first finals as a freshman in the 200 breast, recording a PR of 2:20.69 and taking second in the consolation heat. Purcell recorded a strong PR, dropping two seconds to take sixth overall. Having reset her PR in prelims, Soulia stepped up in the 200 fly, dropping her time to 2:02.11 and taking fifth in the event. In the 3 meter diving, Beran took seventh in a strong performance and teammate took fifth with 262.30. The final event of the night saw Fordham and Richmond a half a point away from each other after diving. The 400 free relay of Soulia, Manning, Wallace and Gouger took third in a fiercely contested event, behind Fordham and George Washington University.

At the end of the night, Gouger was awarded the Most Outstanding Performer Award for her winning performances in the 100 and 200 back with NCAA qualifying times and meet and conference records, her third place finish in the 50 free and appearances on four relay events.

The Spiders might have taken fourth overall, but the strength of their performances across the board and their dedication to loving and enjoying their sport was noticed and commended by competitors, officials, and spectators alike

Reactions: ChoppinBroccoli
Also mentioned that Matt had to deal with transfers. Why off a successful did we have transfers out?

Any thoughts on how lack of ticket revenue and NCAA share from the A10 may be affecting our non rev sports like Swimming?

I’m honestly surprised the team has done as well as it has for as long as it has. I give a ton of that credit to Matt Kredich when he took over the program and Matt Barany has don’t a solid job keeping things going.

But with less money (fewer scholarships), some of the worst college facilities (at any level), a mediocre conference, and only a women’s team is really tough for a coach to work with.

For how long have we pulled back on swimming scholarships? This means we are pulling back on men's scholarships somewhere too (title9)?

Now we know where Matt gets all his coaching abilities.Take a bow Sam.

Samantha Smith Barany ('01) – Women's Swimming & Diving (Athlete 1997-2001, Head Coach 2004-2013)

Samantha Smith Barany
A standout student-athlete and coach for JMU women's swimming and diving, Samantha Smith Barany is one of only two individuals in JMU Athletics history to win a conference championship as both an athlete and a coach, joining fellow Hall of Famer Shelley Klaes. In 2001, she helped lead JMU to its first team title since 1994. As an athlete, she won individual CAA Championships in 2001 in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke and team titles in the 200- and 400-yard medleys and established JMU program records in all four events. She was the first in program history to achieve a NCAA qualifying standard, which she reached in the 100 breaststroke. As a coach, she gradually built the program to consistent top-three finishes in the CAA, emerging with a championship in 2012. The Dukes have finished first or second every season since. She was named CAA Coach of the Year in 2012. Accomplishments by her athletes as coach included an Olympic qualifier, US Olympic Trial qualifier, the program's first NCAA qualifier, 30 NCAA B qualifying marks, 13 relay NCAA B qualifying marks, 65 school records, two CAA records and two league Rookie of the Year honorees. Samantha Smith Barany continued her impact on the sport and the program, departing for family reasons but working as championships coordinator for the CAA, including the swimming and diving event, among others.

Sam and I overlapped our CAA swimming careers. Matt was a little earlier.

UR and JMU routinely schedule each other, so they used to coach a meet against one another each year until they got married and she moved to Richmond and landed the CAA job. She now works for CSCAA (college swimming coaches association).

Reactions: urfan1
Looks like GW is going to run away with the A10 Championship this year. They have a number of strong freshman (incoming class too).

I don't remember a year, seeing so many UR swimmers not make it back for Finals of Consolation Finals.

Currently in 2nd place after yesterday, down 44 points to GW. But GW's lead will grow significantly based on this mornings results and 3M diving (we didn't score so well in the 1 M diving).

I wouldn't be surprised to see Fordham, Davidson, and Duquesne close the gap on us for 2nd place by end of day.

GW was already on the upswing, and new coach has done great the last few years to make them competitive. Even under the last coach, Barany said they were ones to watch...GW is investing in that program.

Spiders swam great in their final dual meet against JMU and some are swimming well this week, but they're not blowing it out of the water. They've already broken two relay school records though, so they've got some speed, just not enough of it. The rest of the conference has just caught up with us.

GW has expanded its lead and isn't going to be caught even if they have a disaster like a DQ'd relay. Close race for spots 2–5 with the Spiders currently in third.

1. GW 486
2. Duquesne 355
3. UR 330
4. Davidson 309
5. Fordham 300.5

Spiders held onto third place, unable to catch Duquesne as GW indeed ran away with things. Some very good times from the Spiders including a couple of school records in relays, but several other teams have caught up in quality and depth.

1. GW 701.5
2. Duquesne 509
3. Richmond 487
4. Fordham 416.5
5. Davidson 406
6. George Mason 338.5
7. UMass 278
8. Bona 190.5
9. La Salle 170
10. SLU 130
11. URI 72

Not a huge surprise to hear others have caught up given that we took the most successful program we have and stripped away scholarships over the years. Any idea where we are on a scholarship count vs other A-10 schools or NCAA allowable?

Unless we've added any 'ships back in recent years, which I doubt, we are indeed well under the NCAA max. Several other A-10 programs (GW, Fordham, Duquesne, etc.) have increased their funding over the past few years and now offer more scholarships than we do.

I believe GW is fully funded at the max of 14...not sure if anybody else in the A-10 is. I know UMass had a goal of getting there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spiders05
No excuse for us not being fully scholarshipped in every sport. What's the point of having such a huge endowment if we don't use it to fully enhance the student experience. Money not being used is a waste of that money.

Again, it goes back to commitment. If we're going to have an athletic program, then do the most we can to make sure every team is successful. And doing the most you can certainly involves using the maximum number of scholarships allowed by the NCAA.

Especially when you have a $2.5+ billion endowment and less than 4,000 students. Not all of that money is specifically directed.

Last edited:
Where are they putting the women's scholarships? You would think they need as many as they can get to offset mens football and mens lacrosse?

Based on the sports we offer, I did a quick check, and we "could" give out 121.9 scholarships to the Mens side (7 teams) and 99 to the Womens side (8 teams as X-country/track are one). But just Mens Football (63), Basketball (13) and Lacrosse (12.6) make up 88.6. And even if we are not fully funded in Mens Lacrosse, I assume we are mostly funded there. I would hope we give a few other scholarships to the Mens teams getting us up around 100, at least we used to.

Baseball (11.7), Golf (6), Tennis (4.5), and X-Country/Track (12.6). I doubt X-Country gets any but maybe 1-2. But with Baseball, and the other two you would think we would get close to 100. Which should mean every Womens team is close to fully funded.

On the Womens side, you have Basketball (15) that would be fully funded. Then Soccer (14), Lacrosse (12), Field Hockey (12), Golf (6), Tennis (8), and Track/X-Country (18). All of these sports fully funded come to 99 scholarships.

Back to a swimming note, they missed Alexa Connors this meet. last year as a FR she made Final in all 3 of her events, finishing 2nd in 500 and 1650 and 6th in the 200. Her times from last year would have put her right in that same range probably scoring 40-45 points for UR.

She swam most of the season, other than the last meet against JMU and she was entered in this meet but did not swim. Wonder if she was hurt, sick, or left the team for some reason.

Alexa is on the IR.

Scoring the most relay points and taking down school records is hard to do and Is quite an accomplishment.

This is all in spite of a basic total lack of admin support.

If Matt applies for and gets the ND job,I’d get the moving van to South Bend as quickly as possible.

Where are they putting the women's scholarships? You would think they need as many as they can get to offset mens football and mens lacrosse?

Based on the sports we offer, I did a quick check, and we "could" give out 121.9 scholarships to the Mens side (7 teams) and 99 to the Womens side (8 teams as X-country/track are one). But just Mens Football (63), Basketball (13) and Lacrosse (12.6) make up 88.6. And even if we are not fully funded in Mens Lacrosse, I assume we are mostly funded there. I would hope we give a few other scholarships to the Mens teams getting us up around 100, at least we used to.

Baseball (11.7), Golf (6), Tennis (4.5), and X-Country/Track (12.6). I doubt X-Country gets any but maybe 1-2. But with Baseball, and the other two you would think we would get close to 100. Which should mean every Womens team is close to fully funded.

On the Womens side, you have Basketball (15) that would be fully funded. Then Soccer (14), Lacrosse (12), Field Hockey (12), Golf (6), Tennis (8), and Track/X-Country (18). All of these sports fully funded come to 99 scholarships.
No one needs 15 scholarships for basketball; if you have 15 scholarship players, then 2-3 of them are unhappy because they are not playing and another 1-2 know they'll never play but are just happy to have school paid for.

The NCAA would do everyone a favor by capping basketball scholarships for both sports at 11 or 12.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT