ADVERTISEMENT

Spider Dunks

The Vault

Team Manager
May 9, 2003
So... in trying to find my old avatar Tony Dobbins ripping the heart out of the Phog. I found this recent dunk. Might be a fun idea to have one thread for some clips of spiders and former spiders dunking.

Here's a good one to get us started:

kevin-smith-dunk-o.gif

Reactions: SpiderK
Smitty's dunk ^ versus the Lambs at the RC when we took them to the woodshed in Dec 2010 is the best dunk I have ever seen, bar none. I was sitting under that basket towards the bench side, about 5 rows back and had a perfect view of it. I thought he was going to hit his head on the rim. IMHO, that Spider dunk cannot be beat, but the Martel dunk the next season versus Dayton when he got up in the defenders face afterwards and got T'd up is a fairly close second.

Reactions: SpiderK
The Josh Jones dunk from the NIT was nasty. The other 2 referenced were 2 of my favorites as well. I think FCM fouled out of the game after that dunk on his sr. night.

DSC_0202.jpg

Thanks a10 talk for the pic.

Smitty's dunk ^ versus the Lambs at the RC when we took them to the woodshed in Dec 2010 is the best dunk I have ever seen, bar none. I was sitting under that basket towards the bench side, about 5 rows back and had a perfect view of it. I thought he was going to hit his head on the rim. IMHO, that Spider dunk cannot be beat, but the Martel dunk the next season versus Dayton when he got up in the defenders face afterwards and got T'd up is a fairly close second.

Were you around when Newman was here? There was a great all around play against ECU ending in a dunk after Newman caught the last pass behind his head.

As well as at least a couple where he came from the corner, was facing center court and caught a pass for a dunk behind him while passing through the lane.

I don't think there is much public video from that era.

FCM got T'd up mostly for the primal scream he emitted after the dunk, which can't really be heard on the audio. He did indeed foul out on his Senior Night as a result of the T.

I do recall some great dunks by Newman, but don't have access to the videos.

Michael Perry is the best dunker in Spider history. They used to have Oreo double-stuff night at home games. Every time he dunked the ball you could go to the concession stands and get oreo's.I also remember Kenny Wood jumping over a player while dunking and getting called for a phantom charge.

let's not forget Brian Jordan, all star game in MLB, pro bowl in NFL and won the student dunk contest at halftime of a game back in the 80s. probably what he remembers most of the three......

FCM got T'd up mostly for the primal scream he emitted after the dunk, which can't really be heard on the audio. He did indeed foul out on his Senior Night as a result of the T.

I do recall some great dunks by Newman, but don't have access to the videos.

Yep, I was at the game. Best way to finish a career I think.

Even though I kinda resent him, this was amazing. I remember yelling at the TV as he contemplated whether to dunk it or not. Skip to 3:40

Last edited:
Aaron Stewart was one of the best at dunking to ever wear the Spider red & blue

always got to games early and the guys had a dunking exhibition each game before most fans even entered. Dan dunked a lot during those and with authority.

Kevin Smith is my all time favorite dunker. Here are two links of three different dunks against GW. Sorry not sure how to activate them but figure someone will help me out.

One of my favorite videos to watch on You Tube was Kevin Smith's 3 dunks versus Virginia Tech at the RC, I believe during the 08-09 season. He threw down 2 alley oops and a sick breakaway during that game. I can't find it on You Tube anymore though.

97, was thinking the same thing, what a break out game for the team and Smitty.

Check out Kevin's highlights at ca. 1:25 - 1:40 and 3:00 min. Awesome!

My new favorite Spider dunk; check out Smitty's slam at 1:19, amazing! Roll Smitty!

Something to look foward to; check out this dunk by Marshall Wood while still in high school.

Ulla, Thanks for finding the video of the Virginia Tech game. That was great. They only showed highlights at the one end, so they missed his breakaway dunk at the other end. Watching lots of highlights of games from that era and it amazing how many of our big plays involved Kevin Smith being involved in some capacity.

When people think of those teams I think they think of KA, Harp, Gonzo, and Geriot. K. Smith was the glue that held that all together though. Pretty clear he was a leader in the locker room too. Think we are fortunate to have him on staff now.

I couldn't agree with you more 97!! Kevin was the all around player that them very good. He did some of everything on offense, defense, fast breaks and everything in between.

I remember pretty clearly Jarod Stevenson dunking on Tim Duncan in the Robins Center. 'Twas awesome.

How about Jarod's alley-oop from (I think) Marseilles for our first points of the game vs. South Carolina in '98?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT