ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling ideas

shame on us for thinking we should dance more than 3 times in 20 years!
Which is a complete non-sequitur to the discussion at hand.

"Complete BS" that some gave total credit for our 2022 run to the players and their "refuse to lose" attitude, and none to the coach? I don't think so. There was a lot of that talk from some members of the FMB.

Reactions: VT4700
Wrong again woody, I know quite a few of us on this and predecessor board for 20 plus years and you and 4700 swoop in as defenders of the moon. We have have been fans for 39 plus years and call it lime we see it.
Mooney is 0 for 1 , poor coaching job in year 1 post ncaa team. This off season is not giving me the warm and fuzziness that he will perform well in year 2. King was a very good start. I get it , it is tough in this NIL landscape, that is were coaching chops and creativity come in. Have not seen that from moon. I am hoping for something this season.

Sorry, but a mere 39 years is chump change for someone who has been a fan since 1972. ;) And I have been a member of this board, and the one before, for a number of years as well (and the number of years one has on a message board has nothing to do whatsoever with the value or validity of one's opinion).

I am not "defending" anyone. I have said we need a new coach, but I have nothing whatsoever to do with the hiring/firing process. So as long as Mooney is on the job I'll support him and want him to win as many games as possible.

That's completely different than "defending" him.

And are you going to deny there were people here who gave all credit for our 2022 run to the players, and not the coach?

Hardt is the antithesis of a boat-rocker. Has he ever made a potentially controversial move here, even once?

He was hired by Queally after a fake AD search because his daughter and Queally's daughter were roommates.

He inherited basketball and baseball programs that were underachieving, and then proceeded to keep the status quo in place. He inherited a new football coach who proceeded to put up five lousy seasons, but didn't fire him.

He hired a new women's basketball coach only because he had to (Shafer's contract ran out, and he was terrible) – then hired as his replacement the same coach he had hired at his last stop.

He moved on from the women's soccer coach, who was hated by players and was terrible... again, not really a difficult decision. And he promoted an assistant coach to lead the women's lacrosse team.

Our best coach, Chemotti, won before Hardt and has continued to win with him.

Bottom line: Coaching changes will only ever happen under his watch when someone's contract expires AND when that coach is awful and/or is hated by players or breaks some law. That's also the UR way, so it's no surprise that Hardt is our AD.

Sorry, but a mere 39 years is chump change for someone who has been a fan since 1972. ;) And I have been a member of this board, and the one before, for a number of years as well (and the number of years one has on a message board has nothing to do whatsoever with the value or validity of one's opinion).

I am not "defending" anyone. I have said we need a new coach, but I have nothing whatsoever to do with the hiring/firing process. So as long as Mooney is on the job I'll support him and want him to win as many games as possible.

That's completely different than "defending" him.

And are you going to deny there were people here who gave all credit for our 2022 run to the players, and not the coach?
That was a typo on my phone anyway, 30 years. Not 39 so you have me beat by more. No I don't deny that some did not give Moon credit. But he also has to take credit for the poor regular season that year too. I just don't see the ability to out coach the other guy on the sideline. I always felt it would happen with Tarrant and Beilein. I rarely have felt that way with mooney.

Reactions: Captain Anderson
That was a typo on my phone anyway, 30 years. Not 39 so you have me beat by more. No I don't deny that some did not give Moon credit. But he also has to take credit for the poor regular season that year too. I just don't see the ability to out coach the other guy on the sideline. I always felt it would happen with Tarrant and Beilein. I rarely have felt that way with mooney.
We can both agree the program would be better served with new leadership. To quote the great Bob Dylan, "We always did feel the same, we just saw it from a different view."

Scheduling updates…not listed…W&M home Wichita St away…assume we get return game from BC…Kevin Smith returns to RC as long as keeps job given his HC Sanchez just left to take asst job back at UVA.

So whatever happened to our annual with Wake Forest?
I would assume Wake ended it because if felt it had nothing to gain by winning, and losing, which happened regularly, would hurt them. Wake would rather play Fairfield, Utah Valley, South Carolina State or Hampton than a (somewhat) traditional rival. I'm sure their fans enjoyed those game immensely.

No way do we drop and H&H with an ACC program.

They had some good teams in recent years under Oates of course, but trended down under Whitesell and were #194 NET with a 13–17 record last year. Despite a 58.8% winning percentage, he was fired with things heading in the wrong direction. Villanova assistant Halcovage takes over for next season.

Spiders hosting Queens on 11/25. They'll be in their second year of D-I transition after a number of years as a D-II power. #202 NET last year at 15–15 against D-I competition including 7–11 in the ASUN.

Reactions: VT4700 and urfan1
that’s 11/13 ooc games known
You counting a campus game for the Sunshine Slam against an unknown opponent? If so, that agrees with what I've got.

Home
11/6 VMI (assumed date as season opener)
Sunshine Slam campus game
11/25 Queens
12/16 Charlotte
12/21 Buffalo
W&M

Neutral
11/20 and 11/21 Sunshine Slam (Daytona)

Away
@BC
@UNI
@Wichita

You counting a campus game for the Sunshine Slam against an unknown opponent? If so, that agrees with what I've got.

Home
11/6 VMI (assumed date as season opener)
Sunshine Slam campus game
11/25 Queens
12/16 Charlotte
12/21 Buffalo
W&M

Neutral
11/20 and 11/21 Sunshine Slam (Daytona)

Away
@BC
@UNI
@Wichita

Yes - Siena

Reactions: SFspidur
They had some good teams in recent years under Oates of course, but trended down under Whitesell and were #194 NET with a 13–17 record last year. Despite a 58.8% winning percentage, he was fired with things heading in the wrong direction. Villanova assistant Halcovage takes over for next season.

59% winning percentage huh? Must be nice!

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
He also had kids getting in trouble. One of his guys stabbed a Canisius player after a pickup game. Whether one likes Boeheim or not, he said he'd never play UB again after a recent game with them, they were so poorly behaved.

There were several other instances of trouble, too, just as there were under Oates, who certainly didn't distinguish himself off-the-court this year following the player-related murder in Tuscaloosa.

I think UB was ready to end any connection with the Oates era and go in a totally new direction.

Siena game is 11/11.

Edit: May have to take that with a grain of salt, as that tweet also claims the Daytona games are 11/17 and 11/18 when they’re actually 11/20 and 11/21.

Last edited:
Reactions: urfan1
Is this the end of the series with UNI?And if so, the best we could do was one home game out of three with them?

Last edited:
Looking over so far not the type of cupcake schedule I expected Mooney to strive for to get 55% results. No P6 powerhouses but some decent teams mixed in going by name recognition. Tossup games?

And I know practice says a lot about what a player will bring to the court but please coach enough players that hopefully you give enough minutes to in preparation for conference play. If a couple frosh play are even close to any grad transfer, please play the young guys. I can't see one traanfer that makes a difference that you can say will give you a good chance to use the OOC as a springboard to an NCAA bid. Brought in to be competitive and who knows how good/bad the A10 will be?

A-10 schedule pairings are out. We've swapped in Davidson as a H&H partner instead of Bona. VCU, Mason, and GW remain partners.

Home: Dayton, La Salle, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, VCU

Away: Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola Chicago, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, VCU

A-10 schedule pairings are out. We've swapped in Davidson as a H&H partner instead of Bona. VCU, Mason, and GW remain partners.

Home: Dayton, La Salle, Massachusetts, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, VCU

Away: Duquesne, Fordham, Loyola Chicago, Rhode Island, Saint Louis, Davidson, George Mason, George Washington, VCU

That seems back to the original, and the most natural…

Adding in a look back at H&H partners over the previous 15 seasons:

2023–24: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson
2022–23: VCU, GW, Mason, Bona
2021–22: VCU, SLU, Mason, Bona, La Salle
2020–21: VCU, SLU, Mason, Bona, La Salle (COVID cancelations messed a lot of that up)
2019–20: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, La Salle
2018–19: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, La Salle
2017–18: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, SLU
2016–17: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, Fordham
2015–16: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, Fordham
2014–15: VCU, GW, Mason, Davidson, Bona
2013–14: VCU, Dayton, Fordham, Bona
2012–13: VCU
2011–12: Charlotte, GW, St. Joe's
2010–11: Charlotte, GW, St. Joe's
2009–10: Charlotte, GW, SLU
2008–09: Charlotte, Bona, La Salle