ADVERTISEMENT

Scheduling ideas

Miller playing Hardt. IMO.

Dumb deal. Absolutely little to nothing to be gained, if you go 5-0.

Miller playing Hardt. IMO.

Dumb deal. Absolutely little to nothing to be gained, if you go 5-0.
But, we will play multiple teams like this every year, every team does, so what does it matter if it is VMI 5 times, or VMI and 4 other VMI types? Either way, we are playing one of these types of games opening night and before Christmas. Would it really make you feel better if we played Mercer and The Citadel once or twice instead of VMI 5 times? It is just comical the things you guys invent to get on Hardt and our program for.

But, we will play multiple teams like this every year, every team does, so what does it matter if it is VMI 5 times, or VMI and 4 other VMI types? Either way, we are playing one of these types of games opening night and before Christmas. Would it really make you feel better if we played Mercer and The Citadel once or twice instead of VMI 5 times? It is just comical the things you guys invent to get on Hardt and our program for.
I don't mind our buy game being VMI each year. certainly don't want to play there.
just saying to give them a 5 year deal we should get a discount. someone else would take a discount to lock up buy games for 5 years for sure.
and maybe we did get a discount. who knows?

Reactions: MrTbone and urfan1
Cmon. You are defending sleepy, crony hire, do nothing, help drive the bus into the lake Hardt?
But, what bus is he driving into the lake?

Basketball? A10 title and 1st round win over Iowa in 2022.

Football? NCAA playoff win in 2022.

Lacrosse? NCAA tourney in 2023.

The basketball bus. His hands are tied because he is cronies with PQ. Mooney has underperformed in his time here. But he sits idly by.
Has he though? Hardt has been here 5 years. In 3 of those years, we have gone 24-7, gone to the NIT, and won the A-10 tourney and a dance game. Would you not take that every 5 years?

What are the A10 regular season finishes compared to the preaseason polls in those 5 years.
1. I notice you didn't answer my question. I will ask again. Would you not take that every 5 years?
2. Pre season polls are irrelevant.
3. Funny you would rather bring up a 6th place finish than the A-10 tourney title and win over Iowa. It's amazing how some on here will do anything to talk down our accomplishments, and talk as if 2020 and 2022 never happened. It's like we aren't allowed to ever bring up 2020 and 2022. You would think all Spiders fans would love those memories, but obviously not. And, it's not like I am going way back in time with this. We are talking 2 of the last 4 seasons. Whatever fits your anti Hardt theme here I guess. So, does this mean you would rather finish 3rd in the A-10 and have your season end in the A-10 tourney than do what we did in 2022? And, are you saying Hardt should have ignored the A-10 title and Iowa win and fired Mooney for the 6th place finish that year?

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyWayne
1. I notice you didn't answer my question. I will ask again. Would you not take that every 5 years?
3. Funny you would rather bring up a 6th place finish than the A-10 tourney title and win over Iowa. It's amazing how some on here will do anything to talk down our accomplishments, and talk as if 2020 and 2022 never happened. It's like we aren't allowed to ever bring up 2020 and 2022. You would think all Spiders fans would love those memories, but obviously not. And, it's not like I am going way back in time with this. We are talking 2 of the last 4 seasons. Whatever fits your anti Hardt theme here I guess. So, does this mean you would rather finish 3rd in the A-10 and have your season end in the A-10 tourney than do what we did in 2022? And, are you saying Hardt should have ignored the A-10 title and Iowa win and fired Mooney for the 6th place finish that year?
Personally I want more than that every five years. We play football in a top FCS league, we can make the playoffs more consistently than every five years. Same for bball. And we aren’t in a dominant lacrosse conference by any stretch.

It’s better than what was transpiring previously but the only move Hardt has made to “make us better” is to stay the course. Not sure I’d attribute any great success to that.

Reactions: Spiders4ever
Personally I want more than that every five years. We play football in a top FCS league, we can make the playoffs more consistently than every five years. Same for bball. And we aren’t in a dominant lacrosse conference by any stretch.

It’s better than what was transpiring previously but the only move Hardt has made to “make us better” is to stay the course. Not sure I’d attribute any great success to that.
Fair, but was only replying to 23 because he said Hardt drove the basketball bus into the lake. If he said what you just said, I would disagree from a basketball standpoint, but that is all opinion, so I get it if you would want more.
But, I think 23, in his ongoing need to attack Hardt, went overboard again, so I replied.

I think “bus into the lake” Is hyperbolic. That said, I do not think Hardt has seized opportunities to dramatically change course. It’s dubious at this point if that will prove to be fortuitous but the results thus far are not overwhelming.

Reactions: mojo-spider
He got to the NCAA once with five all time great players. Once. That is my answer.

He got to the NCAA once with five all time great players. Once. That is my answer.
So, fine, I guess ( guessing because you refuse to answer) you would not take the last 5 years for the next 5 years. I would. If you told me now we would go 24-7 in 2025, NIT in 2026, and win the A-10 tourney and a 1st round game in 2027, I would definitely take that. So, we can disagree there. But, no worries, some would probably take that and others wouldn't. And, you obviously think Hardt has done a terrible job. That is what this debate started about, and I just don't see that at all, and can't help but disagree with that as well.

I think “bus into the lake” Is hyperbolic. That said, I do not think Hardt has seized opportunities to dramatically change course. It’s dubious at this point if that will prove to be fortuitous but the results thus far are not overwhelming.
Dramatically change course, meaning what? A new basketball coach? This is what I don't understand. He could have gotten rid of Mooney after 2019, right? Many on here wanted him to and got on him when he didn't. But, he keeps Mooney, we go 24-7, then go to the NIT, then win the A-10 tourney and a 1st round game, and you are saying he should have made a coaching change?

So, fine, I guess ( guessing because you refuse to answer) you would not take the last 5 years for the next 5 years. I would. If you told me now we would go 24-7 in 2025, NIT in 2026, and win the A-10 tourney and a 1st round game in 2027, I would definitely take that. So, we can disagree there. But, no worries, some would probably take that and others wouldn't. And, you obviously think Hardt has done a terrible job. That is what this debate started about, and I just don't see that at all, and can't help but disagree with that as well.
Let's see what we do this year. Its year 2 of this paradigm shift in college basketball. I thought he did one half well last offseason - went and got the guys in the portal. The major changes with NIL mean the coaches at our level need to be more resourceful, better game coaches, and come up with new ideas to combat our position. The other half went poorly, actually utilizing guys and winning games. Saw same ol mooney on the sidelines, when things went south, could not change the direction. We have no choice but to see what happens this year, and I think we can be competitive with this roster (see I am now into competing :)) but I could also see this year going badly with the roster as constituted now.

I will buy you season tickets for life if the scenario you describe above comes to fruition.

no matter what happens the pom pom brigade will be satisfied with the results, that is the problem
And conversely, no matter what happens the fire Mooney brigade will be dissatisfied, even if the results mimic 2022.

Don't try to pretend otherwise. Even when we won the A-10 tournament and an NCAA game, the fire Mooney brigade said all the credit belonged to the "players who refused to lose" and gave the coach no credit all all. Which was a complete turnaround from the 2022 regular season, when the players who "refused to lose" were blameless and placed sixth because the coach underperformed.

Reactions: VT4700
Dramatically change course, meaning what? A new basketball coach? This is what I don't understand. He could have gotten rid of Mooney after 2019, right? Many on here wanted him to and got on him when he didn't. But, he keeps Mooney, we go 24-7, then go to the NIT, then win the A-10 tourney and a 1st round game, and you are saying he should have made a coaching change?
Yes, that’s what I’m saying. I suspect a different coach could have managed that same group of players to the same or better results over that span. I won’t rehash the details, we all know the arguments.

I also think he could have easily moved on from huesmann, it took bringing in Cosh and transfers to ignite that offense, why not just give him the reins? Instead, he’s gone after a year.

It is unprovable that we would have been demonstrably better or worse with a course change. We saw what CM brought out last year, I see you’re ignoring that in your list of last 5 years. I just don’t see either BB or FB “trending” in some definitively positive way.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Yes, that’s what I’m saying. I suspect a different coach could have managed that same group of players to the same or better results over that span. I won’t rehash the details, we all know the arguments.

I also think he could have easily moved on from huesmann, it took bringing in Cosh and transfers to ignite that offense, why not just give him the reins? Instead, he’s gone after a year.

It is unprovable that we would have been demonstrably better or worse with a course change. We saw what CM brought out last year, I see you’re ignoring that in your list of last 5 years. I just don’t see either BB or FB “trending” in some definitively positive way.
Wow. So, you say Hardt should have fired Mooney after 2019. But, he keeps Mooney and we go 24-7, and you reply by basically saying, see I told you so, with your saying a different coach would not only have matched that, but possibly done better. And, I guess a different coach would have won more A-10 titles and NCAA tourney games in the process, right? Geez, I guess you could never be wrong when you reply like this.

Wow. So, you say Hardt should have fired Mooney after 2019. But, he keeps Mooney and we go 24-7, and you reply by basically saying, see I told you so, with your saying a different coach would not only have matched that, but possibly done better. And, I guess a different coach would have won more A-10 titles and NCAA tourney games in the process, right? Geez, I guess you could never be wrong when you reply like this.
I’m not sure why you’re getting so ornery about this. 24/7 season was impressive, the next two seasons? Pretty questionable, I mean we kind of crapped the bed the first Covid season for such an experienced crew and then had a pretty abysmal season in 21-22 that was rescued by the tournament run. And then we had a losing season this year coming off that. Why are you so optimistic that Hardt made the right call? Do you see us making the NIT this year, much less the ncaa? I don’t.

And again, it’s not just about BB. FB had a good season after multiple bad seasons. Great, glad for it. Are you anticipating the same without Cosh and Udinski? I’d be surprised, but hope springs eternal.

I personally just don’t get it, particularly when Hardt had opportunities not to extend on these coaches and try something different. But I’m also hoping for something better than post season once every five years so my risk tolerance is very different than yours is.

Last edited:
I’m not sure why you’re getting so ornery about this. 24/7 season was impressive, the next two seasons? Pretty questionable, I mean we kind of crapped the bed the first Covid season for such an experienced crew and then had a pretty abysmal season in 21-22 that was rescued by the tournament run. And then we had a losing season this year coming off that. Why are you so optimistic that Hardt made the right call? Do you see us making the NIT this year, much less the ncaa? I don’t.

And again, it’s not just about BB. FB had a good season after multiple bad seasons. Great, glad for it. Are you anticipating the same without Cosh and Udinski? I’d be surprised, but hope springs eternal.

I personally just don’t get it, particularly when Hardt had opportunities not to extend on these coaches and try something different. But I’m also hoping for something better than post season once every five years so my risk tolerance is very different than yours is.
The next 2 seasons pretty questionable? An A-10 title and a 1st round win over Iowa, and you say questionable? Unbelievable. As if you wouldn't say even worse if we had a much better regular season and then ended our season at the A-10 tourney. Yep, I'm sure everyone on here would have been just fine winning a few more regular season games and then losing in the A-10 tourney, right? Give me a break. Questionable?? We heard on and on on here about our A-10 tourney failures...until of course we win the thing....then, it seems meaningless and becomes irrelevant. Sorry you didn't enjoy the run as much as I did. As if we needed any more proof of Wood's post above being 100% dead on.

The next 2 seasons pretty questionable? An A-10 title and a 1st round win over Iowa, and you say questionable? Unbelievable. As if you wouldn't say even worse if we had a much better regular season and then ended our season at the A-10 tourney. Yep, I'm sure everyone on here would have been just fine winning a few more regular season games and then losing in the A-10 tourney, right? Give me a break. Questionable?? We heard on and on on here about our A-10 tourney failures...until of course we win the thing....then, it seems meaningless and becomes irrelevant. Sorry you didn't enjoy the run as much as I did. As if we needed any more proof of Wood's post above being 100% dead on.
Dude, you are the king of asymmetrical arguments. I’m not taking anything away from making the tournament. I’m also not taking anything away from huesmann finally getting to the playoffs. I was overjoyed at both. I don’t fall into the cut off my nose to spite my face category.

All I said was I want it more than once every five years (and let’s be honest, once every decade for bball).

The original argument was had Hardt driven the bus into the lake. I say no. But he has hardly worked any wonders. Do you feel he has?

Reactions: mojo-spider
Dude, you are the king of asymmetrical arguments. I’m not taking anything away from making the tournament. I’m also not taking anything away from huesmann finally getting to the playoffs. I was overjoyed at both. I don’t fall into the cut off my nose to spite my face category.

All I said was I want it more than once every five years (and let’s be honest, once every decade for bball).

The original argument was had Hardt driven the bus into the lake. I say no. But he has hardly worked any wonders. Do you feel he has?
No, I never said he worked wonders, but he is an AD. What do you want him to do? Fire people I guess? And, it just seems to me you are downplaying basketball accomplishments, and last year's football season. Read your post again. Frustrating for me as a Spider fan to read that from a fellow Spider fan.

And conversely, no matter what happens the fire Mooney brigade will be dissatisfied, even if the results mimic 2022.

Don't try to pretend otherwise. Even when we won the A-10 tournament and an NCAA game, the fire Mooney brigade said all the credit belonged to the "players who refused to lose" and gave the coach no credit all all. Which was a complete turnaround from the 2022 regular season, when the players who "refused to lose" were blameless and placed sixth because the coach underperformed.
This is complete bs. If moon can cobble together an NCAA team this year. Go check my posts from early Mooney days. Was very fair. It's just 10 years of mediocrity has killed a lot of fans spirit. I will be on board if he can do it this year. Based on his inability to get the most out of this past season, folks are rightfully disenfranchised again. Lack of ability to adapt, scheme, teach d and toughness.

shame on us for thinking we should dance more than 3 times in 20 years!

No, I never said he worked wonders, but he is an AD. What do you want him to do? Fire people I guess? And, it just seems to me you are downplaying basketball accomplishments, and last year's football season. Read your post again. Frustrating for me as a Spider fan to read that from a fellow Spider fan.
Frustrating? Frustrating is continuing to put faith in a basketball coach who hadn’t made the tournament in a decade and in a football coach who never had at UR.

I’m on record saying I gave CM a new lease after making it in 2022. Very far from being competitive last year and am not feeling too great about this year. Are you going to be satisfied waiting until 2027?

That seems frustrating to me as a spider fan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT