ADVERTISEMENT

Sal Koureissi - 2018 Signee

This guy has "Mooney redshirt" candidate written all over him. We have 3 redshirts this year who we can't hide with another redshirt next year. So, these guys will play next year and Mooney will redshirt Sal because of all our depth in front of him. Mark it down, check back in a year.

Hey ULLA, weren't you tracking when 97 was wrong? Here is one

Reactions: nathanw19
He needs to hit the weight room. Hopefully he can provide minutes from the bench. Weight only at 200? seems like a misprint.

Yes, good length and skill. Hopefully his length can compensate for lack of weight. Many people have the opposite problem. This guy can drink as many McD's milkshakes as possible. Very intriguing prospect. He will certainly have great opportunity with Paul no longer rostered.

He needs to hit the weight room. Hopefully he can provide minutes from the bench. Weight only at 200? seems like a misprint.

He was 180 last year, that would be too skinny. He still needs to put on weight, but he isn't too far below the weight of the average 4 in the A10 (~210 lbs). Sal currently is the size and weight of Yuta Watanabe, one of the better 4s in the A10 over the past few years, especially on defense.

He was 180 last year, that would be too skinny. He still needs to put on weight, but he isn't too far below the weight of the average 4 in the A10 (~210 lbs). Sal currently is the size and weight of Yuta Watanabe, one of the better 4s in the A10 over the past few years, especially on defense.
Watanabe technically was a shooting guard. So maybe Sal can fill that spot and we can get chewbacca to play the 4. He didn’t use any eligibility when he made the Kessel run as I understand it.

I also think that we should note, him being listed at 200 and actually weighing 200 are two separate things.

Can’t see him redshirting. He is too polished and we will need help at times. Example, Golden gets in foul trouble, Cayo struggles. Then what?

he'll get better as he gets older and stronger, but I'm perfectly fine with him being +/- 200 right now. some people get way too caught up on weight.
he'll play the 4 for us because he's tall but he was considered a SG. he can do work inside too but is really a perimeter player.

he'll get better as he gets older and stronger, but I'm perfectly fine with him being +/- 200 right now. some people get way too caught up on weight.
he'll play the 4 for us because he's tall but he was considered a SG. he can do work inside too but is really a perimeter player.
Grant will do the heavy lifting inside.

wish he was here for the summer, but even so Gussy might be 1st PG off the bench. not sold yet that Bryce can play point but maybe he can. Oddo has a legit chance for backup minutes, too.

also not sure we have the luxury to shirt Grace. Nathan can slide over to give Grant a break, but if anything happens to either ... then what?
Sal shouldn't play the 5. I think that's why we added Grace.

wish he was here for the summer, but even so Gussy might be 1st PG off the bench. not sold yet that Bryce can play point but maybe he can. Oddo has a legit chance for backup minutes, too.

also not sure we have the luxury to shirt Grace. Nathan can slide over to give Grant a break, but if anything happens to either ... then what?
True, we don't have a real back up at the 5, but last year we had JMA and Paul as our back-ups at the 5 and neither of them did really anything meaningful on the court. So, maybe going with a non-center who can actually contribute when Grant is not in the game is a better option.

Reactions: Spiderstew1962
True, we don't have a real back up at the 5, but last year we had JMA and Paul as our back-ups at the 5 and neither of them did really anything meaningful on the court. So, maybe going with a non-center who can actually contribute when Grant is not in the game is a better option.
maybe Tomas? Yates is likely tough enough but that's really small.

I'm certainly not handing the backup to the backup spot at the 5 to Grace, but he should have a chance to win or lose it. I wouldn't redshirt him. no benefit unless we're hoping for a big 2022/23 from him.

Agreed, Matt Grace has the redshirt locked up. He is on the Ford/Diekvoss plan. The Finnish kid, I put at 50-50 odds for a redshirt. Jack and Sal will play this year.
I think Jake is more likely to play than Jack...

Reactions: nathanw19
I expected to post this on the roster thread but...

Do we seem to have 5 levels of 3 players each for now?

Golden, Gilyard, Sherod

Johnson, Cayo, Yates

Verbinskis, Koureissi, Wojcik

Schneider, Gustavson, Grace

Oddo, Kulju, Gaitley

maybe Tomas? Yates is likely tough enough but that's really small.

I'm certainly not handing the backup to the backup spot at the 5 to Grace, but he should have a chance to win or lose it. I wouldn't redshirt him. no benefit unless we're hoping for a big 2022/23 from him.
Let's just be real, the odds of Grace being some type of an impact player for us are pretty low. He is the classic Mooney reach player to fill a roster hole. Just like Ford and Kovien he was signed very late, came out of no where, and had almost no legit D-1 offers.

Mooney will redshirt him because he is not an A-10 caliber player and can hide him and the fan base from that fact by use of that redshirt. Transfer likely in a year or two to a D-2 program.

Let's just be real, the odds of Grace being some type of an impact player for us are pretty low.
Grace might not be an impact player. and if not, then saving him for a 5th year probably won't change that. but he might help us now as a backup 5 if needed behind Grant and Nathan. so I don't redshirt him. I try to get him ready.

Reactions: Ulla1 and KWeaver
CM will not play Grace unless it becomes necessary, per your doomsday scenario. That seems to be the pattern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT