ADVERTISEMENT

Sal Koureissi - 2018 Signee

This guy has "Mooney redshirt" candidate written all over him. We have 3 redshirts this year who we can't hide with another redshirt next year. So, these guys will play next year and Mooney will redshirt Sal because of all our depth in front of him. Mark it down, check back in a year.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
May
This guy has "Mooney redshirt" candidate written all over him. We have 3 redshirts this year who we can't hide with another redshirt next year. So, these guys will play next year and Mooney will redshirt Sal because of all our depth in front of him. Mark it down, check back in a year.
Maybe. Sal had way better offers than our redshirts this year did.

Agree with Mr.Tbone. Our 2-3 redshirts for this season did not average over 15-points per game last year, and they were mostly not highly recruited.

If Sal has the year he looks like he may have, averages close to 20-points, picks up his rebounding and shot-blocking, and continues to improve, he could compete with Nathan for playing time as a "true" forward. If so, we may not have to continue to depend on starting (and playing) mostly 4 guards. A lot will depend on how well-rounded Sal's game is, and how much DEFENSE is a part of his DNA. If he will be as good a defender as Nathan can be, there may very well be minutes for him early-on.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/state/new york/class/2018/view/state

Soul is ranked #8 in NY here. He has offers from the Big East and the Big 10. The kids beneath him in the ESPN rankings here committed to Stanford (his teammate Bryce), Syracuse & Michigan.

So help me understand your position...
Well you proved me wrong there. I hope you can understand why I would guess what I did about him though. My guess was based on years of subpar recruiting by Mooney and that's just kind of what I'm used to. This guy seems like he's pretty good but I doubt we get him.

Given how good Bryce Willis (Sal's teammate) is, either Sal is going to be a really good player or the recruiting services missed big-time in their evaluations. We would have been very lucky to have signed up Sal's teammate, Bryce, so am keeping my fingers crossed that Sal has as good a senior year as Bryce. When the end of the season rolls around it will be interesting to see if Sal picks up a 4th star...

Given how good Bryce Willis (Sal's teammate) is, either Sal is going to be a really good player or the recruiting services missed big-time in their evaluations. We would have been very lucky to have signed up Sal's teammate, Bryce, so am keeping my fingers crossed that Sal has as good a senior year as Bryce. When the end of the season rolls around it will be interesting to see if Sal picks up a 4th star...
Might be wise to slow down on this one. I do not see a major contributor when I watch his tapes. If anything, I think he will be a slow developing project type. Not saying that he is terrible, but I see nothing to suggest that he will be a star. From tapes (caveat, never seen him in person) he looks to be in the class of Cayo, certainly below a Golden, Buckingham, or Gilyard at the same point in their career.

And we know why too. However, now that Bryce Willis (Sal's teammate) has signed with Stanford, what are the odds that HE earns that 4th star? Likely far better.

And we know why too. However, now that Bryce Willis (Sal's teammate) has signed with Stanford, what are the odds that HE earns that 4th star? Likely far better.
He won’t earn any additional stars since he’s already signed with us. The star ratings generally correspond with the volume and quality of offers the player has, not with how their senior year unfolds.

Might be wise to slow down on this one. I do not see a major contributor when I watch his tapes. If anything, I think he will be a slow developing project type. Not saying that he is terrible, but I see nothing to suggest that he will be a star. From tapes (caveat, never seen him in person) he looks to be in the class of Cayo, certainly below a Golden, Buckingham, or Gilyard at the same point in their career.

It's always difficult to compare the quality of players, but especially difficult given that this guy, and his game, are probably unlike anyone you mentioned in your post. I see him as a quality player not quite up to Grant but better than Buck (and I'm a big Buck fan). This looks to me like a heckuva good get for CM. A player who will not have the immediate impact of Buck or Golden but certainly a high quality player. His wingspan makes him unique. No redshirt here. A quality big player who will develop into a stud. Higher potential than Buck. Just my opinion FWIW.

I am hoping against hope ticks win 8 games in conference play , this will continue to keep the Mooney , queally, Hardt triumvirate in place with great results for rams.

sweeping vcu would help your cause greatly, why don't you advocate laying eggs when you play us

Reactions: Ulla1
T, you are right; however I feel like a turnaround is imminent.
Are you saying that to be supportive or because you actually see something to suggest a turnaround is in fact imminent?

I don’t see any indication that a turnaround is imminent, we are not improving on defense even if we seem to be playing better on offense.

Are you saying that to be supportive or because you actually see something to suggest a turnaround is in fact imminent?

I don’t see any indication that a turnaround is imminent, we are not improving on defense even if we seem to be playing better on offense.
T, did not see the entire second half of the BC game, but from what I did see, our defense had improved.

Isn’t it obvious? We go 1 game over .500 every year. So it will soon be an amazing turnaround to finish 18-17...

+1 Ulla.

Thanks much for the video clip. Video clips are not always very informative, because they provide a positively biased view, but there do appear to be some nice skills to build on here, and Sal's wingspan (was it 7'8"?) may be the largest of any Spider, ever. Like height, you can't teach wingspan.

What would be really interesting to see, at this point, are some additional stats for Sal. For example, what is his shooting%? FT%? What is % from 3-range? Has he consistently been picking up blocks, assists and steals? How is he doing with TOs? If anyone has access to these numbers, or can compute them, it would possibly provide a little good news, and even an X-mas present, for the faithful.

I looked at the all time roster and don’t see Chris (?) Griffin. He was on the team in the 1990s I think. But left the team before the season started. I wonder what his wingspan was...tall, thin, long arms...

Enough rambling for now...

Based on yesterday’s game the improvement was in rebounding, although from time to time in the CM era we do have a random strong rebounding game. I didn’t think our defense was very good. BC missed a lot of open shots. We have struggled all year to keep guys in front of us and out of the lane. We will win some games in the A10 largely because the league as a whole is down, but I didn’t see much improvement on defense yesterday.

Coach Mooney is going nowhere.
That's what fans have been saying for four years, Ulla. Have you not been paying attention?
Anyone who has seen his product over the last four years knows that "he is going nowhere." He is a super nice guy sans coaching ability. To advance professionally, he needs to change his profession.

Reactions: wr70beh
That's what fans have been saying for four years, Ulla. Have you not been paying attention?
Anyone who has seen his product over the last four years knows that "he is going nowhere." He is a super nice guy sans coaching ability. To advance professionally, he needs to change his profession.
So to sum up your post, you mean Coach Mooney is going nowhere, and so are we?

Ulla provided the following recent update, which I figured would fit nicely in the thread that already has lots of other updates....

From Ulla1:
Nice game by Sal:

Prep Circuit@PrepCircuit

Iona Prep (NY) F Souleymane Kouriessi (@SKoureissi): 19 PTS, 5 REB in a win over Graves County @IonaPrepSports@IonaPrepBBall http://www.prepcircuit.com/game/show/20128834?subseason=412391 …

7:36 PM - Dec 28, 2017
Note that Sal's 19 points in his most recent game is continuing the trend for him to score in the vicinity of 20 point per game so far this season. If I am correct that Sal averaged 10 points as a junior, he is close to doubling his junior-year production. And, he is definitely playing on a very good team and against good competition. He has one teammate heading to Stanford and at least one other teammate with a D-1 schoolie in hand. Sal's 26-point outing, in December, was fully 50% of his team's 52-point scoring production for that game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT