Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
Final-SAF-header.jpg

Spider Sideline Sit Down with Head Football Coach Russ Huesman Presented by
Owen & Owens

Tuesday, August 25
5 - 6 p.m. ET

Join the University of Richmond Alumni Association and Spider Athletic Fund for an exclusive virtual conversation with Spiders Head Football Coach Russ Huesman. Coach Huesman and Bob Black will discuss the unfortunate postponement of the 2020 football season, preparing for a hopeful spring season, and the football team returning to campus.

OwenOwens-003.jpg

Kindly sponsored by the Spiders at Owen & Owens: Partners Joe Owen, B'72, Mary Owens, L'86, and Sam Kaufman, '99, along with lawyers Wyatt Taylor, L'09, Rachel DeGraba, L'17, Julie Cillo, Ross Allen, and Jeremiah Yourth.

Last edited:
I'd rather they just spend the fall playing replays of big games of the last 15-20 years. I really can't imagine anything less interesting to do at dinner time than sitting on my computer and listening to a talk about a non-season, followed by talk pretending there is going to be a spring season. Wake me up in a year.

I'd rather they just spend the fall playing replays of big games of the last 15-20 years. I really can't imagine anything less interesting to do at dinner time than sitting on my computer and listening to a talk about a non-season, followed by talk pretending there is going to be a spring season. Wake me up in a year.
I agree with you Mo!

Ground Hog Day!

Reactions: MolivaManiac

What games are you putting up? Are we only doing victories?

09 William and Mary
15 JMU
16 UVA
Entire 08 playoff run
07 Delaware
05 Hampton (The begining of our postseason success)

Thats a good list. A few I might add...

09 Duke
05 Furman playoff...while a loss, an incredible game
12? JMU @ Robins Stadium. Strauss outslings #2 Dukes
15 Illinois State

Thats a good list. A few I might add...

09 Duke
05 Furman playoff...while a loss, an incredible game
12? JMU @ Robins Stadium. Strauss outslings #2 Dukes
15 Illinois State

We would of won that furman game had they not called a BS holding call as we were driving IIRC. Stacey Tutt was turning into a beast as the season wore on. Stupid purple wearing dillweed paladins!

Reactions: MolivaManiac
We would of won that furman game had they not called a BS holding call as we were driving IIRC. Stacey Tutt was turning into a beast as the season wore on. Stupid purple wearing dillweed paladins!

I was just thinking that we would have won had we given Hightower the ball on the 4th down play. He hadn’t been stopped the whole game.

I was just thinking that we would have won had we given Hightower the ball on the 4th down play. He hadn’t been stopped the whole game.

Yes, as I recall, Tutt made a toss to John Crone in the flat that fell incomplete on 4th and 2. We had been gashing them on the ground. Clawson probably wishes he had that one back.

This conversation kind of made me think about some of the most memorable Spider football games I’ve attended. I’ve been down on the state of UR athletics for a little while but it’s fun to think about some of the good times. That being said here is my top 10 most memorable games I’ve been to.
10 2013 vs William and Mary: junior year of high school, was the first time I got wild at a tailgate before the game. Also was a nice win that kept the Indians out of the playoffs and showed what we could’ve been that entire season.
9 2007 vs New Hampshire: was when I fell
In love with watching Tim Hightower run through defenses and saw us get our first big win of a special 3 year run.
8 2014 vs Villanova: will never forget the awful weather but stuck it out and saw us knock off a top 5 team.
7 2010 vs Elon: First game at Robins stadium, hell of a game to break it in.
6 2012 vs jmu: helped me realize we were back after a disappointing previous two years. Man did Strauss light up that jmu defense.
5 2009 vs App State: hard fought game between two great teams. The ending hurt more than any Spider game I’ve ever seen and I cried my eyes out after. I still still tear up thinking about it.
4 2015 both games vs William and Mary: The second game was really just a continuation of the first matchup two weeks prior, we whipped their tails and I loved every second of it.
3 2009 vs William and Mary: WHAT A GAME! Physical, hard fought, and both offenses were truly fighting for every yard. Both teams honestly deserved to win but UR did just enough.
2 2008 vs App state: we dominated the best team in the country and in my opinion this was the true national title game. I think the App State QB is still seeing our front seven in his sleep.
1 2008 title game: just a validation that we were the best. I had no doubt in my mind we were going to win this game.

Last edited:
University of Richmond coach Russ Huesman welcomes a spring football season, just not too much of one.

Huesman said Tuesday that he wants nothing happening in the spring that jeopardizes a normal start for the 2021 season. So about six spring games that end in April with no FCS playoffs seems about right to him. Players, Huesman believes, have sufficient recovery time in that scenario.

“My personal opinion is it’s too hard to play eight games and playoffs, and go into the middle of May, and then show up in August and [open in early September],” Huesman said during a webinar sponsored by the UR Alumni Association and the Spider Athletic Fund. “Do I think we could get six conference games in, in some capacity, and maybe play a conference championship game? I think you could probably do that and finish it up by early April.”

A spring season that could, with playoffs participation, extend to mid-May would physically be too much on players if their programs intend to start next season at the usual time, which Huesman believes should be the priority.

“Unless the virus is just out of whack and we’re in just the same exact situation we’re in right now, we’re going to play football in the spring,” said Huesman. “What that’s going to be, I think part of that is going to depend on what happens this fall.

"If the SEC and the ACC play, and the other conferences play -- the Big 12 and the AAC and all of the other ones -- if they play this fall and they get a season in, our spring will look different than if they don’t play and now everybody’s planning on playing in the spring.”

The Spiders returned to on-campus classes on Aug. 24, but it may be three weeks to a month before any full-scale football practices take place. The NCAA has mandated re-acclimation stages for players, who have been away from supervised strength-and-conditioning workouts since mid-March.

“Now that they’re back, I think they’ll be motivated. They’re competitors. They’re athletes. They want to be the best they can be,” said Huesman. “Right now, you can’t see the light at the end of the tunnel because spring is so far away. But I do think when we get the opportunity to get them out as a team, I think that’s going to be a relief for them, where we can be out there in helmets and maybe do some football activities.”

All players receive an uncounted year of eligibility by the NCAA, so Richmond is expected to have six sixth-year players next fall.

joconnor@timesdispatch.com

8/26/20

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT