ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation 2021-2

love that Connor is in the gym. it's all about health with him. he'll be in the rotation if healthy.

btw ... we list him as a redshirt junior. wouldn't he get a medical redshirt for 2020/21 as well as 2019/20? does he have 2 years of eligibility left or 3?
Yeah, he has three years of eligibility left. He would get a medical redshirt for last year since he only played in four games, but he doesn't need one since the year didn't count for anyone.

And so, given the crutches, it looks like lower-body injury for Goose. Surgery I guess if he's not expected to be a contributor at all this season?

Yeah, he has three years of eligibility left. He would get a medical redshirt for last year since he only played in four games, but he doesn't need one since the year didn't count for anyone.

And so, given the crutches, it looks like lower-body injury for Goose. Surgery I guess if he's not expected to be a contributor at all this season?
So…
If Goose IS out this season for medical reasons, what would be his eligibility status NEXT season?

So…
If Goose IS out this season for medical reasons, what would be his eligibility status NEXT season?
He could have two more years. He played frosh and soph, then last year didn't count and this year would be a redshirt.

He's tagged in this post on instagram from a month ago

I had to check google translate to see if there was any mention of the crutches. there was not:

The boys grabbed the slippers with them to the hot fields of the summer🔥
New shoes are dropped into the selections every week💪🏽 Bring a bag to upgrade your slippers before the best are taken out of hand!

Happy for Grant, a fine young man. This should improve his conditioning and durability. Shows his determination.

Last update I remember was a month ago and he had just started shooting.

Last update I remember was a month ago and he had just started shooting.

interesting yeah, I guess in my mind the injury happened so long ago I assumed that he would have already been cleared and ready to rock. Plenty of time still to get everything right before the season tips though thankfully.

The season is a 4 month gap so wish there was a little more Mooney or staff gave JOC on timeframe. No quote from Mooney. But glad to have a little clarity and hope we can get him back sooner than later like even Dec. of course our guys seem to take a longer time to recover and the VCU guys recover quickly & w having more serious injuries. I don't think all luck. Obv some injuries you do try to avoid surgery but Goose could have gotten surgery in April or early May. Might be another program issue overall...this one w trainers/sports med. IDK.

Get well soon Goose!

The season is a 4 month gap so wish there was a little more Mooney or staff gave JOC on timeframe. No quote from Mooney. But glad to have a little clarity and hope we can get him back sooner than later like even Dec. of course our guys seem to take a longer time to recover and the VCU guys recover quickly & w having more serious injuries. I don't think all luck. Obv some injuries you do try to avoid surgery but Goose could have gotten surgery in April or early May. Might be another program issue overall...this one w trainers/sports med. IDK.

Get well soon Goose!
Too many variables I think to lay this at the feet of the “program”. I don’t see that our guys are out demonstrably longer than injured guys elsewhere. I also don’t think in this case you’d rush anyone into surgery for what projects as a nagging injury. You’ve got a historically deep bench, if there’s ever a time to slow roll a medical then this is probably it.

definitely could have been worse news on Goose.
maybe this has been covered before, but do we know the health status of the others? are Golden, Sherod and Crabtree 100% yet? everyone else healthy?

definitely could have been worse news on Goose.
maybe this has been covered before, but do we know the health status of the others? are Golden, Sherod and Crabtree 100% yet? everyone else healthy?
Yeah, it would be nice to know all of that but as we also know Mooney doesn't communicate with the media unless he is forced to. Contrast that to Rhoades down at VCU who is using the media constantly during the offseason to promote VCU basketball, whether that be injury updates or just general basketball updates. I know more about VCU right now than my own team because Rhoades is active on social media communicating that out. Heck, to my knowledge, Mooney does not even have a social media presence, which in 2021 is pretty stunning. Alas, we have to wait until getting an update from JOC in the RTD, which often raises as many questions as it answers.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Just a few posts up in this thread on Aug 28, Rothstein said Crabtree was fully cleared and Sherod should be ready for official start of practice. Golden should be good to go.

Reactions: spiderman
Too many variables I think to lay this at the feet of the “program”. I don’t see that our guys are out demonstrably longer than injured guys elsewhere. I also don’t think in this case you’d rush anyone into surgery for what projects as a nagging injury. You’ve got a historically deep bench, if there’s ever a time to slow roll a medical then this is probably it.
agree there r variables but I don't think I laid at feet that is why I wrote "might" and "IDK". But if it was sports hernia then surgery is not uncommon these days. Didn't we recently lose someone on bball medical team, maybe there was a gap there and it led to bad advice. I'm not representing as facts just possibilities u have to consider I think that's reasonable esp when info is lacking. Down at VCU they get back from ACLs and Achilles tears fast, here at UR we do things like that Golden chinese finger cuffs contraption that make u wonder.

Yeah, it would be nice to know all of that but as we also know Mooney doesn't communicate with the media unless he is forced to. Contrast that to Rhoades down at VCU who is using the media constantly during the offseason to promote VCU basketball, whether that be injury updates or just general basketball updates. I know more about VCU right now than my own team because Rhoades is active on social media communicating that out. Heck, to my knowledge, Mooney does not even have a social media presence, which in 2021 is pretty stunning. Alas, we have to wait until getting an update from JOC in the RTD, which often raises as many questions as it answers.

There is really little social from any of the coaches, Mooney is a lost cause not going to happen. If so you'd think the asst coaches would pick up the slack to some degree. Maurice Joseph seems to be far and away the best at it but he just started, it's year 17 of the Mooney era. The main Spiders bball handle does a solid job imo but it can only do so much engagement.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
There is really little social from any of the coaches, Mooney is a lost cause not going to happen. If so you'd think the asst coaches would pick up the slack to some degree. Maurice Joseph seems to be far and away the best at it but he just started, it's year 17 of the Mooney era. The main Spiders bball handle does a solid job imo but it can only do so much engagement.
Which I just find remarkable because this is how people communicate and particularly so in sports. For Mooney to not have a Twitter handle, Instagram account (not on instagram, so maybe he does), Facebook and other social media platforms to share and promote UR basketball is downright negligent in my mind and is a mindset stuck a decade ago.

Of course, I'm sure Mooney is aware he would get roasted regularly on some of those platforms, which is why he avoids it, but honestly that just goes with the territory these days. Check out James Franklin on Twitter (Penn State Football coach), that guy knows how to use social media and yeah he got roasted last year for the down year, but you follow him and you can't help to both like him and like the program. It is how you build your brand and your image.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
Sherod got up to 255 pounds following his injury, thinking his career was done. He's back down to 215.

“My body feels good,” said the 6-foot-4 guard from St. Christopher’s. “I feel like I’ll be a better player. I feel like I’ll be a different player as well. I think I’m going to be in much better shape. [...]

“If I had a game tomorrow, I’d be able to play. But we’re taking it slow,” Sherod said. “The goal is not necessarily to be 100% now, it’s more to be absolutely ready when the season starts.”

that's awesome news. I was wonder what he'd play at. I think lighter is better in his case. especially if he's playing the 2.

Reactions: urfan1
I just don’t think he is quick enough for the 2. Nick is good rebounder and could post smaller guards. Worry about defending on perimeter
understood, but everything points to him starting with Jacob, Grant, Tyler and Nathan. call Burton the 2 if you want. but Nick will probably post less at 215. he'll be bombing away from 3.

I just don’t think he is quick enough for the 2. Nick is good rebounder and could post smaller guards. Worry about defending on perimeter
Carolina, completely agree. But that ship has sailed, this is Mooney, Sherod is going to start at the 2, our defense be damned.

I've come around on it though, Sherod's outside shot, leadership, mental approach are huge assets. I do think, we will struggle against quick guards and Wilson or Dji will get significant minutes in those games. Burton isn't switching over to play the 2 either. Burton is an outrageous athlete, that said, he struggles with keeping his man in front of him at times, and putting him up against smaller quicker guard is only going to make that worse.

We should be pretty darn good offensively and really capable of spreading the floor, but man are we going to be an adventure on defense. In my view, we don't have even one guy who is an average ON-BALL defender. Jacob is a great off ball guy, but he is average at best as an on ball guy and drops below average when he gets posted up etc. The rest are simply not good at keeping their man in front of them and dribble penetration is going to be an even bigger problem than it has been because Blake was an above average on ball guy.

I think we are going to need to come up with some sort of gadget type thing or simply play packline (which will help everyone but hurt Jacobs steals). but we are going to have to be really good offensively to offset our combined defense and rebounding (I dont have to explain how bad we will be at rebounding do I?) . Pretty confident about our offense, but they are going to have to be REALLY good!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT