ADVERTISEMENT

Rotation 2021-2

He has played spot minutes at 5 before. It’s definitely not anything we want to do for extended periods of time but he’s serviceable.

Reactions: urfan1
covering a 5? I mean, I can see him offensively there but no reason for him to cover a 5.

Injury?

Presuming Nick and Connor are healthy, at least we can absorb the loss this year.

Not sure what the Goose comment was but he got 17 minutes a game last year and I would expect the same if not a little bit more - like 20 a game, from him this year. He is the perfect player off the bench as he does provide solid defense and hustle plays and can guard multiple positions with his size and length. And its clear Mooney likes him - so no reason there for his minutes to drop.

I think Sherod, Cayo, Burton and Golden can each play 25+ minutes next year and someone else starts at the 2. Was sort of brought up but people are not accounting for minutes Sherod can take from Golden. We can go small with Cayo/Burton taking their 5 and nick running the high post. I’d rather see this small lineup than 15 forced Sal/Grace minutes. Sure they can get a few but I think our small lineup could be a weapon next year.

imo, those guys are way too small to defend a 5. we'd be jumping through hoops to get guys minutes out of position.
Grace played well last year. I'm willing to bet he gets just about all of Grant's rest minutes. Sal was showing more signs too but he could be in trouble if we give Burton some of the minutes behind Cayo.

Reactions: MrTbone
Sal was showing more signs too but he could be in trouble if we give Burton some of the minutes behind Cayo.
I think Sal is definitely on the short list for odd man out. Going to be some disappointed players if they are hoping for significant playing time because the roster is huge. Many are just going to have to grind through practice and hopefully enjoy the ride to a successful season.

We still have the cryptic comment about Goose, but it could be that he decides to pass on playing this year looking for a more significant role next season.

I've been assuming Sal earns time behind Nathan ... and he might. If he doesn't then it's easier to project. the normal night would look something like this.

5: 40 minutes: Grant 30, Matt 10
4/3: 80 minutes: Nathan 25, Tyler 30, Nick 25
1: 40 minutes: Jacob 35, Isaiah 5
2: 40 minutes: TBD ... 2 or 3 guys split between Goose, Dji, Connor, Isaiah and a longshot freshmen

I just think Cayo absolutely holds his own on defense better than Grace against a five even if he is shorter.

Reactions: Zeeter
I just think Cayo absolutely holds his own on defense better than Grace against a five even if he is shorter.
Nathan's small for a d3 sized 5. there's a reason he's pretty much never played the 5 here. and coach seems to like Grace offensively.

The Grant/Noyes pairing would lend a piece of evidence in support of your theory that Noyes will end up as a positionless stretch 4 power forward. There is a bit of a buncghin at 2-3 positions next few years so may make sense.

He could be a stretch 4 for our roster, but he still needs to find 20 lbs. of muscle somewhere.

agreed, not sure we can call him a power forward at 190. but his path to playing time is probably in the front court (with guard skills).

we don't need him at the 4 this year. next year it opens up depending on who returns. but he does need 20. I suggest he looks into the benefits of creatine plus hard work.

Some guys just cannot put on the weight. I reading a Eurobasket write up on Jim Shields, when he must have been 30 years old, saying once he added 20 lbs of muscle he might be able to go NBA or higher euro league. Guy could chug beer with the best but not gain a pound.

love that Connor is in the gym. it's all about health with him. he'll be in the rotation if healthy.

btw ... we list him as a redshirt junior. wouldn't he get a medical redshirt for 2020/21 as well as 2019/20? does he have 2 years of eligibility left or 3?

He's tagged in this post on instagram from a month ago

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT