Deion Taylor (3/4)
Trey Davis (2/3)

Juniors:
ShawDre Jones (1/2)
Josh Jones (2/3)
TJ Cline (4/5)
Marshal Wood (3/4)

Sophomores:
None <--- I think we can only fill this slot with senior transfers at this point. Not sure how likely that is, and they would only be able to play one year.

Freshmen:
Khwan Fore (1/2)
Paul Friendshuh (4/5)
Julius Johnson (2/3)
Jesse Pistokache (2/3)
KoVien Dominaus (3/4)

Depth Chart

Point Guard:

SDJ (Jr)
Khwan Fore (Fr)

Shooting Guard:
Julius Johnson (Fr)
Jesse Pistokache (Fr)

Small Forward:
Trey Davis (Sr)
Josh Jones (Jr)
KoVien Dominaus (Fr)

Power Forward:
Terry Allen (Sr)
Deion Taylor (Sr)
Marshal Wood (Jr)

Center:
TJ Cline (Jr)
Paul Friendshuh (Fr)

I see a very young back court and a very experienced front court. I also don't know how much of a problem missing an entire year of recruits is, or if it is even a problem at all. Here is my guess for starting lineup:

SDJ
??
TD
TA
TJC

My guess on starting line-up to begin the season.

SDJ, Josh Jones, Trey Davis, Allen, and Cline.

I think you will see a lot of Wood and Taylor off the bench. And I think you will see Fore off the bench and Josh and Fore will spell SDJ for a few minutes here and there.

But my expectation is that SDJ and Allen will be near 32-34 minutes a night and Davis will be about 30-32. So those guys will be on the floor most of the time. If Cline's defense improves - I could see him near 28 minutes, but I think your still going to see Wood and Taylor for decent minutes.

Every year we say we are going to have such a deep team, but it never really happens and I just don't see it happening next season with what we have returning. I see 7 main guys SDJ, Jones, Davis, Cline, Wood, Allen, and Taylor and Fore coming in to round out at 8.

I think we see SDJ, TD, DT, TA, and TJC start with perhaps MW and JJ getting starters minutes. I could see Fore, Friendshuh, and Johnson perhaps getting several minutes a game as well. It will be nice to have a legitimate 9 or 10 man rotation next year.

My top 6 (maybe not at the beginning of the year for Julius) is:
SDJ
Julius Johnson
Trey Davis
TA
TJ Cline
DT

Number 7 is Fore

Number 8 is hopefully MW

With what we have returning, I don't think we need the 9-10 man rotation. I think we will be fine with a solid 7 and that 8th man getting 10-12 minutes on avg. That is how Mooney did his rotation during our back to back NCAA years - 7 solid guys getting 15 minutes or more (with 3 guys 28 minutes or more each year).
I am okay with a 7-8 man rotation. I would like a frosh to get some minutes just because I don't think our staff develops players in practice. I think part of being a coach is also preparing for the future and that might mean "finding" 8-10 minutes a game for a frosh to give them experience. Because remember the following season I think we lose Davis and Allen - two big pieces of our rotation.

I think KF, Johnson, and PF should get 5+ minutes per game for developmental purposes. If Julius Johnson comes to campus, and he is the second coming of David Gonzalvez, then perhaps he gets more minutes than that.

My starting 5 are:

SDJ
TD
DT
TA
TJ

First 3 off the bench:
MW
JJ
KF

And then either Jesse or Julius will see 10 plus minutes at the 2 guard. I'm not saying this is the line-up I like, I'm just going with Mooney is stubborn as an old ox and unless one of the newcomers is absolute stud, he's not benching an established player to start a younger guy.

I know many of us would like to see Deion not start, Trey start at his natural position the 3, and then have 2 true guards be in the starting line up, but I don't see that happening, especially to start the season.

Reactions: MrTbone
My starting 5 are:

SDJ
TD
DT
TA
TJ

First 3 off the bench:
MW
JJ
KF

And then either Jesse or Julius will see 10 plus minutes at the 2 guard. I'm not saying this is the line-up I like, I'm just going with Mooney is stubborn as an old ox and unless one of the newcomers is absolute stud, he's not benching an established player to start a younger guy.

I know many of us would like to see Deion not start, Trey start at his natural position the 3, and then have 2 true guards be in the starting line up, but I don't see that happening, especially to start the season.

Mooney has benched older players in favor of younger ones before for a variety of reasons. Geriot was benched for a while and Garret started in his place (although Geriot did play more minutes). ANO was benched last season and TJ started in his place. If Mooney thinks one of our other players will give us a better chance to win than DT he will play them over DT. Mooney doesn't defer to our older players because they are older, he does so because they give us a better chance to win (in Mooney's mind at least.) Mooney would certainly not play someone outside of their natural position for extended periods just to get them more playing time due to seniority.

1) One of the reasons Mooney started TD at the 2 over SDJ was for height. Our new options at the 2 are all 6'2 or taller. They are all at least half a foot taller than K0 was, and at least 4 inches taller than SDJ. We don't need TD at the 2 for height anymore.

2) There is no way DT could start at the 4 or 5, we have TA and TJ there. He most certainly wouldn't start at the 1 or 2 either. He can only start at the 3 and if TD doesn't start at the 2 he would be ahead of Deion at the 3.

3) By mid season if one of Josh, Julius, Jesse or Fore doesn't emerge as a better option at 2 than Trey and earn the starting 2 spot forcing Trey to the 3, then we are going to have a lot of trouble scoring this year. However, based on Mooney's recruiting history with guards I expect at lest one of these guys to be ready to contribute significantly next year.

4) Even if TD isn't pushed out of the starting 2 spot, MW will be competing for DT's starting spot. I don't expect him to have anywhere near the impact TJ has, but he might be able to take DT's starting spot.

So maybe DT starts in the beginning of the season, but if he is starting at the end of the season he will have either regained his pre-surgery shooting ability or we will again be a team that has trouble scoring.

Last edited:
My starting 5 are:

SDJ
TD
DT
TA
TJ

First 3 off the bench:
MW
JJ
KF

+1

Fan2011, I think Jesse is more of a 2/1 instead of a 2/3. Seemed to play a good bit of point in HS.

I don't think it changes much in our depth, agree with most analysis, in particular 97's analysis. We should start a legit SG at 2 instead of Trey, but I bet we don't see that at the start of the season. Maybe 10 games in if someone shows they are ready.

I think Josh Jones will start at the 2 to begin the season. Not sure if this is his natural position - but he seems to be a good enough shooter to play that spot.

But I do think we will see a "bigger" lineup at times that will include either Trey or Jones at the 2, and move Allen to the 3, with Cline and Wood at the forwards. Think that will depend on matchups and opponents, but I think that could be a lineup we see more and more of as season progresses.

Fan, I think you bring up some valid points. I think we all know that Mooney has players that get more chances than others. ANO, TA, JJ all were players subject to quick hooks and/or removal from the starting line up. The same is not the case for guys like Kendall, Ced, Deion, and Trey.

So, as it pertains to Trey and Deion, they are not losing there starting roles because CM values the intangibles they bring to the game. At least to start the year. Could MW, or one of the freshman make such a big impact during the season like TJ did last year that forces Mooney's hand, I could see that happening.

I think Josh can shoot well enough for the 2, but I'm not as confident in his handle yet. we've had 2 really good ball handling guards on the floor for many years now. maybe when Trey is out there at the 3 it's ok because he handles well. but really, Jesse who's a true combo guard or Julius who's a true 2 but who can handle ... those will eventually be the best choices at the 2. Fore would also give us 2 ball handlers which has been so helpful in attacking presses.

I think the point of having two ball handlers on the court is valid. But it really only comes into play when we play VCU and their Havoc system. Otherwise - I don't think its really a big deal.

Look at the Kevin Anderson days - we didn't have a great 2nd ball handler on those teams. Smith and Gonzo were good, not great. And I think Trey or Josh could handle the ball for a few minutes here and there. Against VCU - that is another story, so it might depend more on matchups at that point.

regarding VCU's press, our bigs ability to handle the ball plays a significant factor in our success against them as well. Often the ball will go to the middle of the floor near half court to Terry or TJ - press broken. Teams get in trouble when their guards dribble around trying to do it themselves.

On a related note, I prefer SDJ at 2 over point. He seems to get caught dribbling too much sometimes. I hear Fore looks really good.

I have a feeling we will see Fore at 1 and SDJ at 2 a bit. Even though we have not seen too much of Fore yet, he was getting some minutes very early last year pre-injury, so that leads me to believe he is pretty strong. I am predicting 15+ minutes/game together for this duo.

I have a feeling we will see Fore at 1 and SDJ at 2 a bit. Even though we have not seen too much of Fore yet, he was getting some minutes very early last year pre-injury, so that leads me to believe he is pretty strong. I am predicting 15+ minutes/game together for this duo.

Yes. It's a lock. Shawn Dre is good enough shooter that we'll want him off the ball at times and rested from the ball handling a bit.

Next year we lose Terry Allen, Deion Taylor and Trey Davis and have an unused scholarship available. We might also lose some others if the recent trend of defections continues. We will have at least 4 spots, who are our best targets to fill them?

I recently saw that Sacha Killeya-Jones backed out of his commitment to UVA. We had been mentioned with him in the past, he is a 6-10 power forward and top 100 prospect. Our chances are slim, but if we get him he would really help fill the front court void left by TA. I also saw recently that we offered Robert Baker Jr. a 6-9 4* according to ESPN who has a ton of high level offers. Jordan Bruner is also on our list of offers, he is a 6-8 4*. Other players who I would love to get are Nick Sherod, De'Monte Buckingham or Cujo Jones.

Who should we be recruiting the hardest for next year? Can we pull in some high ranking recruits? If we have success next season can we capitalize on it and get high ranking recruits?

Can we pull in some high ranking recruits? If we have success next season can we capitalize on it and get high ranking recruits?[/QUOTE]

This is akin to the $100 question on celebrity Jeopardy. What is "NO". Did our two year NCAA run result in getting higher ranks recruits? Nope. We are 11 years into CM regime and one of the constants, we have seen over those years is that while we offer a bunch of highly ranked recruits every year, we rarely if ever landed them. Buckingham, Sherrod, Jones, Bruner, I would be stunned if we land any of them.

What we will land is some guys we never heard of, which after a quick perusal of there highlight tape, we will then anoint as the next great Spider.

Reactions: SpiderHoops32
lol. so cynical!
no, we're not landing Jones.
Buckingham is interesting. he spoke glowingly about Shaka, who's gone. he spoke glowingly about Jamal Brunt, who's gone. but he also said he has a good relationship with CM. we'll see who else is serious about him this summer.
I think we have a great chance with Sherod.

we may not land the guys we hear about early, but I'll be one of those guys that you joke about! I'm extremely happy with the class we have as freshmen this year so I'm sure I will be next year too.

We will certainly see some combinations of SDJ/Fore, but I don't see SDJ as the two guard for us exception when two agile ballhandlers is advantageous. I think Josh is an interesting case, I love his size to play SG but think he might fit better at SF. His handle isn't great, would actually take Trey over him in that regard.

I do agree that we should see some bigger lineups. When ANO was still coming back, I liked him with TJ at 4 and TA at 3. Without him, I don't get as excited about moving Terry down. I don't get the impression that Marshall is a back to basket guy, but I could be wrong.

size-wise, Marshall is similar to Deion. he's shorter than TA and TJ. I agree he's not a back to the basket guy. small sample size, but more than half of his shots at Tech were from 3 point range.

Opponents are going to pack the zone on us and take TJ and TA away and dare us to beat them outside. Can we?

I'm all in for Sherod. If we land him, it's a big-time get. Buckingham would be nice too, but honestly he just feels like he is probably more of a VCU player. He plays that style now already, and I just have a hunch on that one. But Sherod seems like as perfect a fit for us as we could find. I hope we find a way to get that done.

Probably goes without saying but the majority of our upcoming recruits need to be F/C. We only have four players on the roster above 6'4" who will be here in 2016-17. With that said, landing Sherod or Buckingham AND three frontcourt players would be fine with me ;-)

Wood (Sr) - 6-8
Cline (Sr) - 6-9
Friendshuh (So) - 6-10
Dominaus (Fr or So) - 6-7

Yes, we are losing quite a bit of size with ANO already gone, and TA/DT, even TD is 6'5".

It looks like we have a fair number of offers out to guys of all sizes though. I expect they are prioritizing forwards but will also take "best available" if someone like Sherod or Buckingham wants to come to UR.

Attempted to look over recruiting for the past 5 seasons...

Incoming October 2010:

CL - Scout 3 Stars, rival 3 Stars, ESPN 86 of 100
DW - Scout 2 Rival 2, ESPN 88
WS - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 82 - Redshirt

No missed recruits available

Incoming 2011:

ANO - Scout 3, Rival 3, ESPN 88 - Redshirt
LP - Scout 3, Rival 0, ESPN 89 - Redshirt (DNP)
TD - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 87 - Redshirt
K0 - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 80

Incoming 2012:

TA - Scout 2, Rival 3, ESPN 82
DT Scout 0, Rival 0, ESPN 85

Missed recruits - AW, TH, MW

Incoming 2013:

SDJ - Scout 2, Rival 2, ESPN 70
TS - Scout 0, Rival 3, ESPN 70 (sorta DNP)
JJ - Scout 0, Rival 0, ESPN 72

Missed Recruits - Tajh Deen, Hallice Cooke, Scoochie Smith

Avila Situation

Incoming 2014:

PF - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Redshirt
CDV - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Redshirt (DNP)
KF - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Medical
KS - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0

Missed recruit Darrell Davis

TJ in.

Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or analysis?

Last edited:
As for next year's recruits, I think we have a good chance with Sherrod. I don't think we will be that close with either of the Joneses, or Buckingham.

Bruner seems our best chance at a high recruit, just below both the height and ranking that generally cause recruits to only look at higher programs.

Here is my wishlist for 2016 recruiting:

Ako Adams (Will be on campus June 12th)
Nick Sherod
Dylan Painter
Jordan Bruner

Doubt we get Buckingham, just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

Attempted to look over recruiting for the past 5 seasons...

Incoming October 2010:

CL - Scout 3 Stars, rival 3 Stars, ESPN 86 of 100
DW - Scout 2 Rival 2, ESPN 88
WS - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 82 - Redshirt

Incoming 2011:

ANO - Scout 3, Rival 3, ESPN 88 - Redshirt
LP - Scout 3, Rival 0, ESPN 89 - Redshirt (DNP)
TD - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 87 - Redshirt
K0 - Scout 2, Rival 0, ESPN 80

Incoming 2012:

TA - Scout 2, Rival 3, ESPN 82
DT Scout 0, Rival 0, ESPN 85

Missed recruits - AW, TH, MW

Incoming 2013:

SDJ - Scout 2, Rival 2, ESPN 70
TS - Scout 0, Rival 3, ESPN 70 (sorta DNP)
JJ - Scout 0, Rival 0, ESPN 72

Missed Recruits - Tajh Deen, Hallice Cooke, Schoochie Smith

Avila Situation

Incoming 2014:

PF - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Redshirt
CDV - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Redshirt (DNP)
KF - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0 - Medical
KS - Scout 0, Rivals 0, ESPN 0

Missed recruit Darrell Davis

TJ in.

Am I missing anything? Any thoughts or analysis?

Looks like our recruiting was very strong coming off our 2010 and 2011 appearances in the NCAAs. It has dropped off a bit since then, hopefully if we return this year we can get some higher rated recruits.

Here is my wishlist for 2016 recruiting:

Ako Adams (Will be on campus June 12th)
Nick Sherod
Dylan Painter
Jordan Bruner

Doubt we get Buckingham, just a gut feeling. Hope I'm wrong.

+1. I sort of feel like Painter may be a bit out of our range too. Hope i'm wrong.

We need Buckingham! I still have high hopes on this young man. If you have seen him play you would understand my thinking

I hope the kid is smart enough not to let some illegal activity influence his decision

The NCAA doesn't enforce it so it really isn't illegal. This is one of the reasons we always lose major recruiting battles.

I think Sherod makes more sense than Buckingham as Sherod at 6'5" can compete at the 3 as well as the 2. Buckingham's the same size as Julius and Jesse. But if the coaches like Buckingham, that works for me too.
my realistic wish list right now is Sherod, Adams, and two 6'8" guys to be named later.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT