ADVERTISEMENT

Rodney Rice - Second Coming

Different Mike Jones. This is the Mike Jones who was the long time head coach at Dematha in DC, one of the best if not the best high school program in the country. Also the head coach of the under 18 US national team.

Oh man that was a classic URMITE sense of humor response.

I played against Mike Jones at Dematha in high school. DeMatha always good but think undefeated and up there with some of their best teams. Also had Duane Simpkins who played at Maryland & I believe still a Goo Moos assistant coach - retained by English. Also another Jones - Vaughn who played at GW.

It did not go well for GK.

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman

I played against Mike Jones at Dematha in high school. DeMatha always good but think undefeated and up there with some of their best teams. Also had Duane Simpkins who played at Maryland & I believe still a Goo Moos assistant coach - retained by English. Also another Jones - Vaughn who played at GW.

Cedric Lindsey, UR guard a few yrs ago played at Dematha too.

Vaughan Jones was a baller. Helped put GW back on the map back then. He could do a little bit of everything.

Louisville official visit...

Of course, Louisville is not the only school in the mix for the highly touted guard. Rice says that Virginia Tech, Maryland and Alabama have been recently recruiting him hard, and he took an official visit to the latter in early June. As far as a list of schools and their subsequent placement, Rice says he does not yet have one.

Sign me up for that deal, but only if it's a grad transfer.

I think he's required to play for us first, THEN transfer to Louisville. Isn't that how it works?
This is something I’m interested to see going forward with the transfer portal if higher ranked recruits will start looking at leagues like ours to start out with the intention of trying to transfer up.

I see it playing out like this-
“Son, no matter where you go in D-1, if you’re a star everyone will know you.
Obviousl, my heart wants you to be a Spider. I won’t stand in your way, no matter where
you chose (well, maybe VCU) but Richmond was good to me, and they will be good to you. “

I see it playing out like this-
“Son, no matter where you go in D-1, if you’re a star everyone will know you.
Obviousl, my heart wants you to be a Spider. I won’t stand in your way, no matter where
you chose (well, maybe VCU) but Richmond was good to me, and they will be good to you. “
You are probably correct. But you forgot to enter the son's likely response.

I suspect it goes something like this; UR isn't the same level program that it was when you were there Dad. Sure, they win a few more than they lose, but they haven't been to the tournament in more than a decade. I'm going to a school where I will play in the NCAA tournament every year, a place where I have a shot at winning the National championship.

You are probably correct. But you forgot to enter the son's likely response.

I suspect it goes something like this; UR isn't the same level program that it was when you were there Dad. Sure, they win a few more than they lose, but they haven't been to the tournament in more than a decade. I'm going to a school where I will play in the NCAA tournament every year, a place where I have a shot at winning the National championship.
Or, he could say, Dad, I’m going to Richmond to make sure they make it to the NCAA’s every year that I’m there.
I want to instill the name Rice into annals of families that carried their school to prominence In college basketball.

Reactions: urfan1
Two days after saying he didn’t have a list, looks like he’ll be announcing his top 6 in a little over an hour.

Top 6 are:

Louisville
Georgetown
Maryland
Notre Dame
Alabama
Virginia Tech

Recruiting questions as this kid listed his top 6 and I think safe to say we are out and probably been out for a while. But generally speaking - I think when we see schools like Louisville, GeorgeTown, Maryland, Notre Dame - we tend to think we can't compete with them recruiting wise and will lose that battle.

Do you think there are any schools out there that see when University of Richmond is in a kids list - they get worried, or think - we can win that recruiting battle with UR?

I assume a P5 or 2 doesn't make us stop calling. but you get a sense from a kid where his level of interest is. and if he's got a half dozen or more P5's and he doesn't want to stay on the line with you, then you read the writing on the wall.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
No matter how grim the view is, we can never give up hope. I believe that there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Press on Spidernation!!

The Ivies don't technically give athletic scholarships, so why not "offer" everyone?

Bryant almost literally offers everyone. 142 in the class of 2022 and 72 already in 2023. I'm not sure the plan there. I think they're just doing AAU coaches a favor. like can you offer this kid for me so he gets a page on Verbal Commits? I'll work your camp next year.

kids can't even brag that they got offered. it's like "yeah he got his 1st offer but it was from Bryant so ...".

thanks for that.

the new coach is doing pretty well. but I don't agree these offers are helping his brand. nobody takes the offers seriously. he's devalued his offers. no kid above his level is going to commit early there.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy works going forward with the transfer portal. I don't think he gets any kids above his level - but if he has built a small relationship with some of them, maybe in a year or two if the kid is not getting minutes at the level above Bryant - maybe it trickles down to them.

I think Bryant is taking it to the extreme, but I think with the transfer portal, you need to plan for the future. Take a kid like Rice on this thread - he has not named us on his list so we are probably out of the running. But if I were an assistant at UR - I would still be sending him mail and texts - maybe just to say congrats when he does select a school, or say nice game if you see him at an event. Keep that relationship and door open because if Rice goes to Louisville and sits on the bench for 2 years, he might be looking for a new place and UR can come knocking and say "Remember us?". So I do think the wider net is something schools will do - but not as wide as Bryant.

Reactions: spiderman
So far he's indeed relying heavily on transfers and JUCOs...will see if that changes now that he's been on the job for a few years. Definitely an interesting strategy to increase awareness of a school almost no recruit would be familiar with.

But yeah, not real confident it will bear fruit for them. Could help when it comes time for some of these guys to transfer, but even then I think it's mostly going to be local guys who might end up there. He's not going to get a 5-star guy from halfway across the country.

thanks for that.

the new coach is doing pretty well. but I don't agree these offers are helping his brand. nobody takes the offers seriously. he's devalued his offers. no kid above his level is going to commit early there.
They are serious offers, though – it's just that they are first-come, first-served. Someone might bite, you never know until you try.

When you are at a school like Bryant - you got to try something different, and this is certainly different and might just work once in a while. Also at a school like Bryant - you just need 1 really good player and you could ride him to a league title. He does well enough and of course - he moves up the coaching ladder where his strategy might have a better effect if he keeps it going.

I get the idea. but from the kids I've known, nobody is every going to get that early Bryant offer and commit. they get that one and they know or expect or hope they'll get others. I know 3 kids who's first offer was Bryant. none went there. none seriously considered it.

I'd much rather work hard on a few kids, letting them know how they fit in and making them feel the love. I can't imagine you feel a school really wants you when they've offered 141 others.

Reactions: 8legs1dream
The proof is in the results. His first year at Bryant - he was 15-17, last year with COVID he was 15-7 with a 1 point loss to Syracuse and they beat UMASS. Let's see how Bryant does and if they can win the NEC and get an NIT bid or NCAA bid. That will determine if this process is working.

as SF said, he's landing transfers and JUCOs. he's not landing high school kids above his station by offering a ton of them early.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT