ADVERTISEMENT

Rocco mentioned in connection with UD job

Don't worry, Gill won't be doing the hiring. He will do interviews, sign up the recruiting firm we will use and maybe even speak, but he will have little to no say in the selection.

I don't even like lacrosse, have no interest in it.

Lacrosse only has 12.5 scholarships by NCAA rule, so how does killing football help lacrosse? Patriot league is much cheaper football wise as they only permit 60 scholarships with no additional need-based financial aid. Need based financial aid counts against the cap of 60 fulls.... Lacrosse players generally do not need aid as they are mostly rich kids.

Reactions: Spiderprovider
I mentioned after the W&M game that I thought Rocco's use of QBs in the second half was a middle finger to the administration. I stand by that.

But honestly, we are better off right now as a team with Johnson as QB than with Broadus, who has thrown about 5 passes in his life.

Reactions: Spiderprovider
I would not be surprised if Queally and/or another big donor had a say in the whole Rocco contract/compensation/program vision situation that has helped put us where we are today.

The fact that his salary info for the past few years is not fully on the books tells me that his compensation has been donor-driven.

I would imagine the Queally factor isn't direct in that he wants to take scholarships etc. Its that the Admin will do anything for Lax and nothing (or worse) for football and Danny questioned that mentality which was viewed as an attack on Lax and by Queally as a personal attack and so he's now he's not a Danny guy (and vice versa). Since Queally runs things, he wants to run Danny off and get his own guy in there. Danny is happy to oblige at this point.

All the dirty laundry will get aired out on this one some day soon and we'll all know.

Reactions: keefusb
Stay optimistic, all about leverage to bring additional resources to the football program. And bbuild the next fcs dynasty. DR has told his team he isn't going anywhere and this is all about getting more for the program. they are preparing for another month of football. Admin and donors are sweating and gathering cash, architects are designing a new football building adjacent to robins stadium and KG is pouring me another stiff drink.

Also are we forgetting Robins loves football and built a stadium for it. Think he wants to down grade. Again not sure why we are atracking donors. Every alum donor I met wants to be best in academics and sports. The changes we complain about here are the fault of administration. The desire to reign in sports has been a problem brewing in faculty, administrators, and non-alum donors since cooper. Think there are foxes in our hen (no pun intended) house.

Is this is a leverage play by Danny and he wins, we might lose him to being CEO of some Fortune 500 company making 10-20 million a year cause that would be a phenomenally ballsy and totally impressive play. My already super high respect would know no bounds!

Stay optimistic, all about leverage to bring additional resources to the football program. And bbuild the next fcs dynasty. DR has told his team he isn't going anywhere and this is all about getting more for the program. they are preparing for another month of football. Admin and donors are sweating and gathering cash, architects are designing a new football building adjacent to robins stadium and KG is pouring me another stiff drink.
If we weren't so screwed at this point, this would be funny. Not so much today. What a effing week. We have an underachieving basketball program that lost to our soon to be conference rivals and an overachieving football program that's about to be blown up. I'm 65, been a Cubs fan since I was 6 years old. I thought my burdens had been lifted but I had to be a damn Spiders fan. I obviously need to go to church more.

The coach tells his team he isn't leaving is the kiss of death most of the time.

I'll hold out hope though.

Reactions: Marley13
Robins by the way is a non-factor. They powers dont give a crap about him or what he thinks. Even if they do still like his money.

My hope is that this ends up like my Eagles situation with Howie Roseman where he gets deposed, hangs around seemingly a loser and doing nothing, but is really working behind the scenes to expose the bully who kicked him aside and then reemerges as the supreme boss. Hoping that's sorta what Robins is doing and he reemerges as the ultimate Richmond benefactor and Queally and his cronies (including much of this Admin) get s__t canned just like Chip Kelly did here!

Is this is a leverage play by Danny and he wins, we might lose him to being CEO of some Fortune 500 company making 10-20 million a year cause that would be a phenomenally ballsy and totally impressive play. My already super high respect would know no bounds!

The Delaware vacancy is the ultimate leverage play. if it were really any other school in the CAA, we'd call his bluff. it were an FBS of any type, we'd be upset but we'd sort of understand this is how it works.

I have had several people tell me this is a done deal and others tell me it isn't and we are ponying up. Either way, we are weaving a tangled Web on this one.

I think this a play. He is prepared to leave, but willIng to stay given the right offer. My wife and I have played this type of card before to our benefit...albeit not in such a public way. People get comfortable and complacent. If one is adding more value to an organization then one should get what the market will bear. DR has showed that sometimes it takes a big move to get big change. Just my 2cents.

I would imagine the Queally factor isn't direct in that he wants to take scholarships etc. Its that the Admin will do anything for Lax and nothing (or worse) for football and Danny questioned that mentality which was viewed as an attack on Lax and by Queally as a personal attack and so he's now he's not a Danny guy (and vice versa). Since Queally runs things, he wants to run Danny off and get his own guy in there. Danny is happy to oblige at this point.

All the dirty laundry will get aired out on this one some day soon and we'll all know.

AND we will know how wrong you are. Can't wait.

Reactions: United_In_Red
perhaps Danny is being advised by the former VCU bandleader on leverage in negotiations.

If this goes south, sounds like Danny is willing to burn some bridges on the way out of town.

Not sure why the vitriol towards me. All I have done is comment, I have nothing to do with the situation. As is everyone here, just passing on what I hear and/or think (see for example, my "I would imagine" lead in to prior post). I have obviously not spoken with Danny or any prominent members of Admin. and am not representing anything as fact. Mostly just what I hear from other I believe to be better connected than me. So I can actually be neither right or wrong.

But to the extent you think I am representing things as facts (which I am not intending to do) and those facts will be proven false, I genuinely hope you are right and will happily take any flogging you want to dish out! As others have said, maybe its a play and as I have said already, if it is, all respect to Coach for it. actually, all respect to Coach no matter what!

Reactions: keefusb
I feel there is still some resentment towards queally for the loss of soccer and track. This is blinding some to the real issue. Admin was the one that made that decision, for they did not want so many athletes as students...also they were worried about Title IX issues.

Administration made that decision because they wanted the big Queally check that was attached to LAX. LAX would add about 50 male athletes to the Title IX headcount, so either two women's sports needed to be added, or we lose track and men's soccer. The percentage of athletes was a red herring, many of our peer institutions have a higher percentage of athletes than we do. And you're damn straight there is still some resentment, and rightfully so. When we are relegated to the PL in a couple of years, we will be able to point to financial greed and gross incompetence/lack of leadership of our administration as the the root of the problem.

Why was Broadus yanked from the team on Senior Day? That is personal.
If you do something to warrant a suspension, it's not personal. Sucks that it happened on Senior Day, but I doubt someone was like, "F this guy – we'll show him. We won't let him play on Senior Day! <evil laughter>"

Not sure why the vitriol towards me. All I have done is comment, I have nothing to do with the situation. As is everyone here, just passing on what I hear and/or think (see for example, my "I would imagine" lead in to prior post). I have obviously not spoken with Danny or any prominent members of Admin. and am not representing anything as fact. Mostly just what I hear from other I believe to be better connected than me. So I can actually be neither right or wrong.

But to the extent you think I am representing things as facts (which I am not intending to do) and those facts will be proven false, I genuinely hope you are right and will happily take any flogging you want to dish out! As others have said, maybe its a play and as I have said already, if it is, all respect to Coach for it. actually, all respect to Coach no matter what!

You think that Queally has engineered this b/c he likes Lax and Rocco said something about it so queally is driving him out, really? really? say it outloud to yourself and see how ridiculous it sounds.

Last edited:
most of you know that as a former track & xc athlete I have reason to take the LAX decision personally. And I do at times, but to blame this situation on Queally is short sighted, and I believe wrong. In fact if all of the information I am receiving is correct, and this matter sorts itself out he would likely have been one of the moving forced to correct the issues.

I have posted several times already, we need to calm down -- forces have been put into play, give them time to work. It should never have gotten to where it is. I have made several warning statements for approximately one year. I believe this situation has more to do with some of the issues I have warned about than anything else.

Fan...can you summize your thoughts on what we should be warned about? It is no consolation, but those behind lax did not want it to go down the way it did. In fact, there are some that are investigating ways to bring them back. Not sure if they will be able to secure the political will.

Fan...can you summize your thoughts on what we should be warned about? It is no consolation, but those behind lax did not want it to go down the way it did. In fact, there are some that are investigating ways to bring them back. Not sure if they will be able to secure the political will.

So are you saying that Queally and Co. are trying to bring track and soccer back? Really???

Keef. Not sure of all the players that may be involved...or even it is real or just talk. Had conversation with some $ guys at game that suggested that there was interest in pursuing it...big hill to climb though.

32, if you're going into CCU, you fly into Myrtle.

My guess would be that if you're meeting a coach you want to land, you pick up someone to bring with you to demonstrate the type of support your program can offer. I hope Tim Finchem is involved whenever we're looking at golf coaches for example.

This thread is s little over a week old and is pretty amusing to track back to the beginning. not trying to pile on Ulla but this is my favorite . now nearly 300 posts into the thread.
Mo, it is amazing. Who would have ever thunk it?! OSC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT