ADVERTISEMENT

Rocco mentioned in connection with UD job

I said this:

And this...

The collective answer was this:
Ooops.

This is all about David Broadus. Rocco is pissed. He is also gone. The University President will lose his job. And he should. He destroyed David Broadus, because of unsubstantiated and uncredible accusations by a co-ed. Only Rocco has stood beside Broadus. This is Richmond's Duke Lacrosse case.

You should make the Olympics, given the distance of that leap.

I seriously doubt that Rocco is leaving because his backup QB was suspended for a couple games, even despite the circumstances. Besides all that, you have no idea if this recent suspension/
separation from the team for Broadus is the result of an ongoing issue or a new issue.

Might Rocco leave because generally he feels the administration is not supportive of the football program? Of course. But he's not leaving over one backup.

When it goes this far, I believe it is over. You can bet what Rocco said to JO has been conveyed to the Administration repeatedly.

And YES, I do believe the treatment of Broadus is a factor, not the factor, in all this. Including players, coaches, trainers, etc. well over a 100 people have worked throughout the year to get another shot at a national title. Recall how Rocco bitterly said at the half time interview at W&M that when Lauletta went down "there is no Plan B."

You should make the Olympics, given the distance of that leap.

I seriously doubt that Rocco is leaving because his backup QB was suspended for a couple games, even despite the circumstances. Besides all that, you have no idea if this recent suspension/
separation from the team for Broadus is the result of an ongoing issue or a new issue.

Might Rocco leave because generally he feels the administration is not supportive of the football program? Of course. But he's not leaving over one backup.
Same issue!

Money also could be a factor, I suppose. Interestingly, while Rocco was listed on UR's 2013 Form 990 as being one of the highest earners at UR ($436k a year), he has not appeared on the most recent two such reports in 2014 or 2015.

The "lowest" earner of the top earners shown in 2014 made about $217k and the lowest earner in 2015 made $236k, meaning Rocco must have made less than those amounts in both years. Now maybe his contract was backloaded (or front-loaded?) but it's interesting nonetheless.

Money also could be a factor, I suppose. Interestingly, while Rocco was listed on UR's 2013 Form 990 as being one of the highest earners at UR ($436k a year), he has not appeared on the most recent two such reports in 2014 or 2015.

The "lowest" earner of the top earners shown in 2014 made about $217k and the lowest earner in 2015 made $236k, meaning Rocco must have made less than those amounts in both years. Now maybe his contract was backloaded (or front-loaded?) but it's interesting nonetheless.

His income could also have been moved off the Return altogether due to the source.

I think there is considerable evidence over the past few years of the administration not being supportive of athletics in general. We have had basketball recruits who were strung along then denied admission at the 11th hour. We have had basketball and football players disciplined and dismissed for mysterious (Title IX?) transgressions. And we seem to have an AD and a President who are basically lapdogs to a donor or donors who have hijacked our sports programs. I would be very sorry to see Rocco leave, I think he is a great coach and a really high character person. If he does leave, I hope it is for a big-time P5 football program, as I would likely cut all ties with the UR athletic department if he ends up at UD.

Something is rotten in the Robins Center. I hope we can clean it up before we find ourselves members of the Patriot League or worse.

That may well be the case. Mooney appears every year at basically the same amounts, but they may structure Rocco differently.

If Danny leaves, Gill should be fired. I have never seen this level of incompetence in an AD. We over pay for a underperforming basketball coach who last got us to the NCAA in 2011 and we mishandle the contact and support of our football coach who has gotten us to the NCAA playoffs thee out of the last five years including the National Semifinals last year.

When this becomes official I intend to bombard Gill and Crutcher with emails until hell freezes. I hope you all will join me.

In fairness to Gill (I'm not a fan), he was not involved in the Mooney contract extension. Whomever put up the cash to keep Mooney in his ten year "cucoonie" is likely one of the donors who is actually pulling the puppet strings over at the Robins Center. This Rocco situation could be a real disaster for Spider athletics.

In fairness to Gill (I'm not a fan), he was not involved in the Mooney contract extension. Whomever put up the cash to keep Mooney in his ten year "cucoonie" is likely one of the donors who is actually pulling the puppet strings over at the Robins Center. This Rocco situation could be a real disaster for Spider athletics.
It has already become a disaster. Go read the Gohens.com board.

This is only a disaster for those of us that value football. If you want another sport to become more important at UR this is a victory. Literally cutting off your nose to spite your face

I figured when it was just the press and message board chatter that Gill and the administration would not respond- they can't respond to rumor or press stories. BUT with Coach Rocco dropping the bombshell that the football program has no vision they HAVE to respond somehow.

This has the potential to impact recruiting this year in a very bad way. Not to mention the program moving forward.

This is only a disaster for those of us that value football. If you want another sport to become more important at UR this is a victory. Literally cutting off your nose to spite your face

This is more than just a disaster for football. This is potentially a disaster for all Spider athletics. Yes, for the short-term another sport (ahem..) may benefit, but this is a black eye for the school that will impact player recruitment, recruitment and retention of coaches, and fundraising for a long time. I can't believe that the administration has mishandled this so badly.

Remember that AJ Hines signed an LOI in Feb with other 2016 members but was later turned down by UR admissions.He ended up at Duquesne,
started 8 out 11 games,ran for 1,350 yds or 120 yds per game.
He was named not only NEC offensive rookie of the year,he was named to 1st team NEC.

http://www.northeastconference.org/documents/2016/11/23//FB_16_All_NEC_list.pdf?id=16116
That's a bad example if anything Rocco has proven he can win with the academic requirements as they are now.

From the Hens MessageBoard:

"I have been told that we have offered the position To Rocco...He will likely bring his son from Western Illinois...I was told this morning....The person that told me is same man that told me Keeler was getting fired 2 weeks before he was actually axed..."

Also a message saying the Delaware Jet had landed in Richmond and was on the tarmac 38 minutes.

Just passing rumors along....

Can I get in on this bet as well? In the next couple weeks one of us will be right and one will be wrong. I look forward to an apology from you while I mourn the reason for it.
From the Hens MessageBoard:

"I have been told that we have offered the position To Rocco...He will likely bring his son from Western Illinois...I was told this morning....The person that told me is same man that told me Keeler was getting fired 2 weeks before he was actually axed..."

Also a message saying the Delaware Jet had landed in Richmond and was on the tarmac 38 minutes.

Just passing rumors along....
32 can probably track the DE plane and cofirm if it had a flight plan landing in richmond

If Rocco is taking time to meet with UD this week that is just horrible. I understand he's upset but how can you do that to this team?

For all the Gill detractors on the board, this public blow up and likely losing among the best coaches in FCS is not going to advance KG's career. Will be a huge black mark that haunts him in the future.

If the flight is the one previously talked about on the UD board, it was a week ago.

It's a damn shame in a week we should be celebrating the achievements of this team and staff to come this far this year, we are dealing with this crap.

If this goes down, everyone who gives a damn about UR sports needs to show their displeasure financially

Well the Patriot League does have good Men's Lacrosse programs. The way things are going, this men's hoops game going on would be a conference game in a few years.

Reactions: keefusb
It's a damn shame in a week we should be celebrating the achievements of this team and staff to come this far this year, we are dealing with this crap.

If this goes down, everyone who gives a damn about UR sports needs to show their displeasure financially
I intend to do just that. It sickens me. What a shame to lose such a good coach and man.

When it goes this far, I believe it is over. You can bet what Rocco said to JO has been conveyed to the Administration repeatedly.
And YES, I do believe the treatment of Broadus is a factor, not the factor, in all this. Including players, coaches, trainers, etc. well over a 100 people have worked throughout the year to get another shot at a national title. Recall how Rocco bitterly said at the half time interview at W&M that when Lauletta went down "there is no Plan B."
The destruction of Broadus was the destruction of Spider football. There is no plan B, because Plan B was pulled from the team on Senior Day and was not allowed to suit up. Rocco was covering for the administration, when he claimed it was a coach's decision. Why was Broadus pulled from the team on Senior Day? Why deny him and his family a small bit of recognition on Senior Day?

If Lauletta didn't get hurt, and the Broadus thing was in the background, would we even be having this conversation?

If Lauletta didn't get hurt, and the Broadus thing was in the background, would we even be having this conversation?

Honestly, I really doubt it. We might have lost Danny after the season but this thing with Delaware wouldn't have blown up now.

Sure we would. I'm pissed at myself for being so nieve to how weak our administration is.

There were major problems before Broadus and Hens would be looking in any event. I think Broadus is actually just a piling on situation and this was going to happen anyway.

Reactions: spider3309
Sure we would. I'm pissed at myself for being so nieve to how weak our administration is.

Gill hasn't had to hire a coach in football or in either hoops programs. Can't say I'm excited about this.

This is so totally bad right now. Can you imagine another whole week of this if (when) we win Sat.?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT