ADVERTISEMENT

Rocco mentioned in connection with UD job

Can I get in on this bet as well? In the next couple weeks one of us will be right and one will be wrong. I look forward to an apology from you while I mourn the reason for it.

2nd place is Delaware's best export-chickens.Chicken capital of the World.They'll all have to be frozen.
They wouldn't survive the 5 hour drive.Advise if you want the gizzards
also frozen.

I support our coach but he would be wise to not overplay his hand on this too. Personally, i don't like how this is playing out while we're preparing for a playoff game.

Honestly, we crucified London for less in 2009.

Reactions: paward and DTSpider
Calm down, people are working, as Danny says, focus on the task at hand -- we have a game Saturday.

As an aside for those afraid this may be a distraction, I submit it may be a motivation to the players that love Danny to make sure he stays longer regardless. After all, the only thing a player can control is how well they play, and if they play well and win he will be here longer and the suitors may go elsewhere, or he may change his mind and stay simply for his players.

Looking at you, Keith Gill. Good for Rocco for saying that.

Also, nice that JOC kept digging deeper to get some answers (or some questions to his questions)

yep, he may talk himself out of this job even if that is not his objective.

Honestly, that sounds like BS to me. Vision? He's a well paid FCS coach responsible for a team that competes very successfully in one of the top leagues at our level. We recently built a brand new on campus stadium - something that many of us who have been around a while NEVER thought would happen. Maybe he wants more money for his staff. Maybe he wants an upgraded locker room or some kind of practice facility. Those things are concrete. But vision?? Sounds like maybe he hasn't gotten an answer he wants therefore the school has a vision problem.

A serious question, does Gill ever say anything in support or questioning or anything at all about the basketball and football programs? I am not local and get much of my information on the boards or a few articles online, so maybe I am missing something. It does not seem like he has much to say about either sport. This is really unprecedented, I don't recall a coach at Richmond calling out the administration like this. Must be a lot of frustration building up in Coach Rocco.

A serious question, does Gill ever say anything in support or questioning or anything at all about the basketball and football programs? I am not local and get much of my information on the boards or a few articles online, so maybe I am missing something. It does not seem like he has much to say about either sport. This is really unprecedented, I don't recall a coach at Richmond calling out the administration like this. Must be a lot of frustration building up in Coach Rocco.
No.

Calm down, people are working, as Danny says, focus on the task at hand -- we have a game Saturday.

As an aside for those afraid this may be a distraction, I submit it may be a motivation to the players that love Danny to make sure he stays longer regardless. After all, the only thing a player can control is how well they play, and if they play well and win he will be here longer and the suitors may go elsewhere, or he may change his mind and stay simply for his players.

I think more likely to be a distraction than a motivator, but this team and his relationship with team may be a little more unique. not a good look for Rocco imo if he loses this weekend. But if we win hey maybe just the opposite. I suppose he felt his back was against the wall & had to do it but its extremely rare to ever hear a coach talk about other job opportunities on the record in middle of season. So much so that I cant even think of one.

As I previously said, this was already beyond repair and this seals the deal if it wasn't. Danny says what he said either because he knows he's gone with certainty or because he's still trying to lever his way to getting something. I strongly believe its #1, but even if its #2, all hope is lost. No way this admin will stand for for him publicly lambasting them like that and turn around and give him what he wants and what they apparently were not willing to give him before! He's gone and its gonna be a bitter breakup that will hurt the program far beyond if he just left to take a better job and the bitter will spread over and hurt the school beyond football as well. This will be worse than the ill will over lax and related etc. and worse than anything Coop did in terms of fallout.

Seems to me that reality is that Crutcher (much less Gill) isn't running athletics and Queally is; and Danny not only didn't genuflect and kiss his you know what appropriately enough for his majesty's liking, but he actually mentioned lacrosse and the true head of Spider Athletics did what he does (push aside committed coaches and athletes from other sports for his sacred Lax program) and Danny will be coaching somebody else next year and far worse, the program will have substantial egg on its face and much damage control to do. Not only will the fact he left hurt us, but the reasons (lack of vision and commitment etc.) will be used against us in recruiting for sure. We probably won't be able to even interview some coaches who might have been interested if Danny just left for greener pastures because they will simply hold out for better opportunities.

Its scary that the admin have managed to butcher this as badly as they have by leaving Danny feeling disrespected and not supported and have now left themselves no way out either.

I repeat, I will be moving from B5, bypassing x lot and never setting foot on campus again. There are many other things to do and places to visit on Saturday afternoons. This is disappointing and embarrassing .

If Rocco moves to a good head coach FBS job, I'm ok with it. It's a promotion and he deserves it. If it's comp he should be paid at the top end of FCS coaches, his assistants should be paid at top end of FCS assistant coaches. Based on performance if nothing else. If he leaves for a FCS school Gill should leave to. I don't understand the 'vision' statement but I agree if it means since 'Coop' era I constantly get the impression, if it wasn't for the problem of the endowment, football would be gone, even with the endowment I feel like they would prefer a lower level FCS program. We can't go Division 2 and play D1 basketball correct? As a school we're either striving to be the best in EVERTHING we do or we're not.

I think more likely to be a distraction than a motivator, but this team and his relationship with team may be a little more unique. not a good look for Rocco imo if he loses this weekend. But if we win hey maybe just the opposite. I suppose he felt his back was against the wall & had to do it but its extremely rare to ever hear a coach talk about other job opportunities on the record in middle of season. So much so that I cant even think of one.
Agreed. I don't think this is something a sitting coach says unless he knows where he next paycheck is coming from already.

Reactions: spiderjpo
Wow. Good for Danny for addressing the 800 lb elephant in the room.

My question is where is Gill in all of this? He is like the invisible AD here. You have a very successful football coach who is making his opinion well known that he may leave as early as this weekend and it looks like he is just sitting on his hands. Might I advise a call to JOC stating how much we love DR and how we are committed to making sure he has the tools, resources, and support for him to succeed at the highest level.

Wow. Good for Danny for addressing the 800 lb elephant in the room.

My question is where is Gill in all of this? He is like the invisible AD here. You have a very successful football coach who is making his opinion well known that he may leave as early as this weekend and it looks like he is just sitting on his hands. Might I advise a call to JOC stating how much we love DR and how we are committed to making sure he has the tools, resources, and support for him to succeed at the highest level.
Silence speaks volumes. They're running him off.

Wow.

We can all probably transition over to cheering for the team in Charlottesville, get in cheaply on the ground floor

Disappointing. For me, if you have a successful coach you keep him happy, it's that simple. Rocco is clearly not happy.

IMHO, this has more to do with the Administration undermining the team and kicking Broadus off the team. That is the single most important issue that has occurred. That made the entire event a personal affront to Coach Rocco, to the team and to David Broadus. The Administration almost destroyed the team and Coach's personal reputation.

He's gone. if it's not to the chickens, then it will be somewhere else.

P.S. This new regime is doing such a wonderful job managing their PR.

Maybe Queally can come to the Wake game on Sat and tell some jokes during halftime....

Last edited by a moderator:
I said this:
We know that Broadus was kicked off the team as it was making a post season run and right before Senior day. That is too coincidental.

And this...
Why would Rocco entertain leaving? How about this- he believes the administration is undermining his team. Give me one good reason Broadus was dismissed from the team on Senior Day and right as UR was making a title run? Here is an idea- the lawyers of the accuser threatened the University with a lawsuit if he was allowed to play. From my vantage point, the administration was pressured by lawyers to remove Broadus from the team. Because of this pressure, Rocco decides he wants to test the water. It is the only theory that fits the facts.

The collective answer was this:
Who says Danny is considering to leave UR?The author from the Delaware rag is a 2 bit nothing.Is he suggesting that Danny is going
to leave?No,he isn't.He's throwing names into an article including Mickey Matthews.Is this a serious article.No it isn't.

Are you suggesting that Danny is leaving?...

Danny can leave UR anytime he wants,with or without a renewed/updated contract.He can also take his staff members if he wants.So what.

This is all about conjecture with no basis in fact.Typical.
Ooops.

This is all about David Broadus. Rocco is pissed. He is also gone. The University President will lose his job. And he should. He destroyed David Broadus, because of unsubstantiated and uncredible accusations by a co-ed. Only Rocco has stood beside Broadus. This is Richmond's Duke Lacrosse case.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT