ADVERTISEMENT

Rocco mentioned in connection with UD job

MolivaManiac

Spider's Club
Feb 8, 2004
http://www.delawareonline.com/story...r-focus-moves-delaware-coach-search/94195386/

I have heard about this through several sources. This is the first I have seen in print.

Honestly, if we lose Danny to a conference foe, I might be done with UR athletics, especially considering the sad state of our basketball program. Several other UR connections mentioned too.

The fact that this is even in print is a huge embarrassment. Our Administration is, quite frankly, a complete joke.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hanca
Ridiculous assumption by whoever the writer is. It would basically be a lateral move for Rocco

Couldn't agree more. As Clark Griswold once said, "if this isn't the biggest bag over the head, punch in the face..."

If he bounces for Delaware, I'm going to the shed and getting my pitchfork. I seriously can't envision Rocco doing that though.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
It is a bigger and, from a visit there being entertained by a UD fan with access to club level, more rabid base than we have. Also, wouldn't the academic aspect be even marginally easier? It would certainly drive me bonkers if he left for UD but Mo makes great points as to why he would.

I understand UD has its own admin issues. Not saying it can't get there, but this is not Tubby's Program.

UD has a new President and a new AD that both appear competent.

We have dawdled with Danny's contract extension for the good part of 2 years. We deserve whatever we get this winter.

Knowing what I know about UD this would be a silly move by Danny or Russ(UTC grad).Got to admit that Danny probably puts up with a bunch of unusual stuff at UR including the Broadus event which stretched out for 1.5 years.I think that it has been trying on him including these never ending season ending injuries.Also sure he is not sold on or gets much support from Gill.The bar for admit entry to UD is considerably lower than UR.UD will be loaded next year.They need a QB.Lots of the other pieces are there.Hopefully,they give the interim guy a shot.He appears capable and articulate.

1. Large state school with a student body that wants to go to games.
2. Easier academic standards to deal with
3. AD that appears to value football.
4. Great football history/tradition
5. Larger pool of recruits
6. Good facilities
7. Continue coaching in top FCS conf

That's just a quick hitter off the top of my head.

P.S. - Hey Admin. I know you're reading this...

WHERE IS THE NEW CONTRACT? IF THERE IS A CONTRACT, WHY ARE YOU WAITING TO ANNOUNCE IT?

Mooney gets a 200 year guaranteed contract with a 40% pay raise for only 2 out of 11 successful seasons (thanks KA), yet Rocco wins 2 CAA titles, 3 playoff bids in 4 years, a National Semifinal appearance and in the running for coach of the year almost every year. **CRICKETS.

This scares me to death. Only thing though is I believe Rocco is the second highest paid coach at the fcs level behind only turner gill (ironically at LU) so I doubt he takes a pay cut and goes to UD.

Every time you find a random tweet about a basketball recruit that makes a nice pass it's a new thread.

You don't think our head coach mentioned for another job is a thread?
Mo, my point is why would Danny leave for another FCS position? Any salary increase would be negligible and an FBS job would be no closer. Did not mean to offend you. Just makes absolutely no sense, IMHO. OSC

These articles don't write themselves and Tresolini isn't something gumshoe of a journalist.

Guys, this is less than a rumor. This is something some writer mentioned almost as an aside about a candidate who he thinks would be a nice fit. It is not in our interest to give it any traction. Our discussion of a reference to our coach based upon a "wish list" of a column writer in a local paper of limited circulation is nothing more than gossip.

We should let it go because of its nature and because lending credibility to such an unlikely proposition can do nothing but hurt our fan base, our program, and our potential recruits. It would be different if there were a thread of plausibility to the reference, but there is not.

Reactions: 3genspider
Mo, my point is why would Danny leave for another FCS position? Any salary increase would be negligible and an FBS job would be no closer. Did not mean to offend you. Just makes absolutely no sense, IMHO. OSC

32, believe I stated before that I like our socks. OSC
keep the faith Ulla, don't let them get to you. I like the socks too.

Guys, this is less than a rumor. This is something some writer mentioned almost as an aside about a candidate who he thinks would be a nice fit. It is not in our interest to give it any traction. Our discussion of a reference to our coach based upon a "wish list" of a column writer in a local paper of limited circulation is nothing more than gossip.

We should let it go because of its nature and because lending credibility to such an unlikely proposition can do nothing but hurt our fan base, our program, and our potential recruits. It would be different if there were a thread of plausibility to the reference, but there is not.

Like I mentioned in my initial post, I have heard this from other good sources not named Kevin Tresolini with the News Journal.

Our Administration needs a fire lit under its ass. Perhaps this article will do it.

There's smoke here. Maybe just a fire from Rocco's agent to create the appearance...maybe not. We're at risk of losing him this winter. There are worse jobs than the UD job. I'm not convinced that the UR admin isn't above cutting off its nose to spite its face. We all have reason to be worried.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
I have been a big proponent of giving Coach Rocco a huge raise and whatever else is required to provide him with the tools he feels that he needs to win a NC. I am just not sure that the likelihood of a message to those in power from this board getting through outweighs the harm that it might otherwise cause. That said, I am not sure how to get the message to those in power.

I have been a big proponent of giving Coach Rocco a huge raise and whatever else is required to provide him with the tools he feels that he needs to win a NC. I am just not sure that the likelihood of a message to those in power from this board getting through outweighs the harm that it might otherwise cause. That said, I am not sure how to get the message to those in power.

Look. The article is out there. What the heck difference does message board postings about it make?

The lack of a long term contract has been used against us on the recruiting trail for several years now. This is nothing new to anyone paying close attention.

Write it
. I am just not sure that the likelihood of a message to those in power from this board getting through outweighs the harm that it might otherwise cause. That said, I am not sure how to get the message to those in power.

Write it on the memo line of a 5 or 6-digit donation check.

Which Trustees are most supportive of athletics? They should be made aware of our concerns.

Coastal and former TD Joe guy could buy and sell the UD admin.He's the boss in Conway,SC.Great golf courses and beaches.Delaware is a
Large sandbar with chicken farms and small time politics.

If they pay $750K per year for 5 years,they could get a P5 high level assistant.

Korn Ferry is doing the search which is a top notch outfit.

At first I must admit that I was skeptical about this, but I am not so certain. Have Broadus and the team been sacrificed on the alter of political correctness? If so, Rocco would be justified in deciding he can't work at UR. Jim Reid resigned completely when he found out UR was going to move to non scholarship football.

That is a Federal issue that all schools are working through. DR would be short sighted to jump for just that. I hope this is more smoke than fire, but it should help Danny when he renegotiates his contract at UR. His use of the QB's makes me believe Danny wants to remain at UR. I am told his family wants him to stay.

Keep in mind with the new administration the Dept of Ed oversight may change and there may be a lessening of the knee jerk fear.

Reactions: iSpider
Very valid points. Is the violent game of football too much for the new leadership? We know it is for some of the faculty -- they've made that perfectly clear. Has the Broadus saga, and the Hamlin fiasco soured the Admin's view on the program?

Ayers and Miller hired Rocco in Dec 2011. Ayers and Gill gave Rocco an extension in Feb 2013 (after one season) that expires after next season. Ayers and Gill didn't give Rocco an extension after last season, which is concerning because ideal situation is a coach under contract for at least 2 seasons while they're on the recruiting trail. What do Crutcher and Gill do in Dec 2016?

Who knows. A new contract or extension could already be done...just waiting to announce (I don't buy that scenario though). Why wait and announce a new contract for a coach that only has 1 year left? Are they seriously going to send this staff on the recruiting trail with only one season left under contract? That's crazy, and negligent.

Broadus' treatment is also emblematic of the behavior of this administration and its attitude towards football. It appears to me that the president and atheletic director are intentionally sabotaging this team and the entire football program. Why else won't they let Broadus play?

Reactions: spider3309
If we don't keep Rocco, now if he jumps to a HC at a FBS team I don't consider that losing him, and pay and the administration are the issues I'm mostly likely done as a fan and contributor. I donated when we endowed football and I like a lot of people expected it to be supported once the money was raised.

Secondly if Broadus is guilty of something prosecute him If he's not and this is all PC bull then he should sue the school and I hope he wins. Again I have no inside knowledge, this is all guess work, but this whole episode is very odd.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
If we don't keep Rocco, now if he jumps to a HC at a FBS team I don't consider that losing him, and pay and the administration are the issues I'm mostly likely done as a fan and contributor. I donated when we endowed football and I like a lot of people expected it to be supported once the money was raised.

Secondly if Broadus is guilty of something prosecute him If he's not and this is all PC bull then he should sue the school and I hope he wins. Again I have no inside knowledge, this is all guess work, but this whole episode is very odd.

Agreed 100%.

If Broadus is guilty of something prosecute him If he's not and this is all PC bull then he should sue the school and I hope he wins. Again I have no inside knowledge, this is all guess work, but this whole episode is very odd.
I would add that 1) Broadus is a very good student, 2) Broadus has graduated and is in graduate school. It is not grades. Is it drugs or some other infraction? It does not seem to be the case, as we have heard of no prosecutions. Is this discipline the result of prior allegations of his actions towards a co-ed? If so, then shame on the University of Richmond. Lord Mansfield said that "Rape is hard to prove and even harder to defend against."

With lack of contract and our seemingly uncaring AD (in name only) and our president showing no meaningful support, DR would be foolish not to listen to overtures from UD or elsewhere. And he is not a fool. As others pointed out, many positives for coach at UD.

You may not have any inside knowledge but you are right on the money.

Reactions: McSpider67
IMHO, they are sacrificing everything this team has worked so hard to accomplish this year. I do not see how Coach Rocco stays at this point.

Broadus' treatment is also emblematic of the behavior of this administration and its attitude towards football. It appears to me that the president and atheletic director are intentionally sabotaging this team and the entire football program.

Nonsense.All conjecture.No substantiation.

Reactions: iSpider
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT