ADVERTISEMENT

Remove the Pyramids from Egypt.

AnnapSpider

Graduate Assistant
May 8, 2003
Annapolis, MD
As the small minded people think that removing reminders of the past will correct history, maybe there
should be a movement to remove the Egyptian Pyramids- they were built by slaves.
Don't these people realize that like a Holocaust , these things remind people of where they should
never allow man to go again?

Edited... I don't want to be involved in this thread anymore.

Last edited:
gosh, a flash from the past, thought joltin joe was in jail/prison

3 -- I think Morrissey was a lawyer in town when I was a student, and from what I just read on Wikipedia, he has led quite a robust life!

Last edited:
3 -- I think Morrissey was a lawyer in town when I was a student, and from what I just read on Wikipedia, he has led quite a robust life!

He stands a decent chance of winning the mayoral race. The race has a number of parallels with the Republican Primary for President.

As the small minded people think that removing reminders of the past will correct history, maybe there
should be a movement to remove the Egyptian Pyramids- they were built by slaves.
Don't these people realize that like a Holocaust , these things remind people of where they should

Isn't your example of the case in point more analogous to maintaining a statue of Hitler in Berlin?
I understand the necessity of learning from the past by preserving reminders of how horrific it has been under certain circumstances. However, I have a problem with maintaining a monument to a person who led a civil war against the Country to preserve slavery, especially in a city on its most prominent street where the majority of citizens (57%) are descendants of slaves. There surely must be better ways to "remind people of where they should never allow man to go again."

We should remove all the statues, monuments, and buildings of historical significance and move them to the suburbs. Demolish all the public housing while we are at it. Let the city return to nature and let them live in huts and sleep under the stars.

Also, it was more likely that the impetus for this thread was the attempt this weekend by BLM to violently topple the iconic Andrew Jackson statute in Jackson Square in New Orleans.

There are those who hold on so tenaciously to the institution of white supremacy that they are incapable of providing a sound reason to support their position as to why statues of the champions of such repugnant domination as was championed in the Civil war should remain elevated to honor those leaders of that violent, treasonous war to retain white supremacy, and instead, these ostensibly veiled racists resort to barbarous, preposterous, tasteless, and farcical propositions.

"There is no historical basis for the position that the Civil War was fought over anything other than the South’s determination to retain the institution of chattel slavery" (see below). Those who support the maintenance of these monuments do nothing less than to keep alive the legacy of racial oppression and propagate the notion of racial disenfranchisement.

"Let them live in huts" epitomizes the guise of such veiled racism and perpetuates an inherently racist, white supremacist vision of society. The avatar of its poster, the notorious traitor, John Wilks Booth, demonstrates that such thinking still thrives in the mind of this poster. The implication that these statues a significant part of "all buildings of historical significance" bespeaks his inability to discern right from wrong.

"The [stautes in New Orleans] at issue... honor and glorify treasonous white supremacists who would likely be charged as terrorists today. Their violent actions supported white supremacy and the continued enslavement of millions of people. The monuments erected in their “honor” were constructed and maintained in a deliberate effort to perpetuate historical myths of southern glory when black people were property to be used and abused. By enshrining a patently false version of history, the monuments have helped keep these myths and the oppression they justify alive."
Southern Poverty Law Center as quoted in the following article: Jefferson Davis: Slave Owner, Racist, President Of The Confederacy, Traitor

Oh, BTW, nothing personal.

"The [stautes in New Orleans] at issue... honor and glorify treasonous white supremacists who would likely be charged as terrorists today. Their violent actions supported white supremacy and the continued enslavement of millions of people. The monuments erected in their “honor” were constructed and maintained in a deliberate effort to perpetuate historical myths of southern glory when black people were property to be used and abused. By enshrining a patently false version of history, the monuments have helped keep these myths and the oppression they justify alive."
Southern Poverty Law Center as quoted in the following article: Jefferson Davis: Slave Owner, Racist, President Of The Confederacy, Traitor

Oh, BTW, nothing personal.

No worries. I'm really not bothered by the opinion of somebody too stupid to realize Andrew Jackson was a staunch Unionist who actually threatened to invade South Carolina during the Nullification Crisis. And we really don't seem to have any disagreement on the fundamental issue. I'm all for allowing these "oppressed" BLM people to be freed from the crushing burden of Western Civilization. Pull out of their neighborhoods, bring all the statutes with us, and let them fend for themselves. They'll devolve to cannibalism within a decade and we'll finally be rid of them.

No worries. I'm really not bothered by the opinion of somebody too stupid to realize Andrew Jackson was a staunch Unionist who actually threatened to invade South Carolina during the Nullification Crisis. And we really don't seem to have any disagreement on the fundamental issue. I'm all for allowing these "oppressed" BLM people to be freed from the crushing burden of Western Civilization. Pull out of their neighborhoods, bring all the statutes with us, and let them fend for themselves. They'll devolve to cannibalism within a decade and we'll finally be rid of them.
If you will take the time to re-read my former post or, as the case may be, have someone explain it to you, you will see that my message was about the Jefferson Davis statue in Richmond. I know this may be hard to grasp, but the brief I cited supports my post.
I am not going to dignify the rest of your post with a response. I think it speaks for itself.

Quoting from something written by the Southern Poverty Law Center is not exactly authoritative or unbiased.

hey MO, hilarious that the republican primary elected a democrat to run against another democrat

Quoting from something written by the Southern Poverty Law Center is not exactly authoritative or unbiased.

Another legacy of the Frankfurt School and an organization that doesn't even try to hide its anti-Western agenda. The board of the SPLC should be hung by the neck and everyone else associated with them given their deportation papers. These aren't Americans. They are parasites and we should send them off to peddle their treasonous filth elsewhere.

I agree with the unbiased part of your post, and, as I understand it, the only authoritative opinion would be that of the judge or judges who decide(s) the cases. Anything written by an attorney is written as an advocate for a client and is, therefore, agenda driven. I think everyone appreciates that principle.

However, the purposes and the level intelligence and the academic credentials of the lawyers at the SPLC are very impressive.

Southern Poverty Law Center, Inc.
MORRIS DEES, Founder, Chief Trial Attorney
WHAT WE DO - SPLC

Another legacy of the Frankfurt School and an organization that doesn't even try to hide its anti-Western agenda. The board of the SPLC should be hung by the neck and everyone else associated with them given their deportation papers. These aren't Americans. They are parasites and we should send them off to peddle their treasonous filth elsewhere.
In the words of Ronald Regan:
61347107.jpg

The Frankfort School? This is in general terms a school of thought typically thrown around today solely by some educated outliers who comprise the die-hard opponents of PC in every sense and fail to acknowledge that there can be a balance or that sometimes we merely go too far and realize that there is system of checks and balances which will ultimately filter the process so that meaningful progress will prevail. They represent a throwback to a time when it was difficult to understand the development of capitalist societies. These terms are significant solely in understanding the history of social and historical thinking and are anomalous in this day and age with respect to any meaningful discussion regarding rape and racism.

I am grateful that you represent only a small minority who are vehemently opposed to any change to the status quo (though, admittedly, some is needed) and thereby pose a threat to progress. Your goal is to place obstacles in a path to discussion through which society can progress along a meaningful road to a society in which people can better learn to live with other accepting and respecting their differences, differences in race, gender, religion, etc., without fear and anger.... a threat to the ultimate goal of living in a safe, secure and more harmonious world.

HAHAHA i, what do you think PC does but silence speech, discourse, throw obstacles into the path of those who disagree with those who run, manage the PC machine.

I'll be honest with you, I have removed my posts from this thread... While my intent was, from my point of view, reasonable, I do not like, in any way, the way this thread has turned. I am concerned that what has been written in this thread could really work against us in the future.

I started this thread as a point of emphasis that atrocities by men, on men is not something
that gets removed or forgotten by removing a statue. Like the Egyptian Pyramids or the Nazi
Death camps, to think the removal of a statue will make anyone feel better about what happened
150 years ago, shows the lack understanding of the human condition.
"Remove that statue and the Civil War, as well as slavery in this nation will all be forgotten."
To those that think that, you really are foolish people.

Reactions: Spidermaniac
I started this thread as a point of emphasis that atrocities by men, on men is not something
that gets removed or forgotten by removing a statue. Like the Egyptian Pyramids or the Nazi
Death camps, to think the removal of a statue will make anyone feel better about what happened
150 years ago, shows the lack understanding of the human condition.
"Remove that statue and the Civil War, as well as slavery in this nation will all be forgotten."
To those that think that, you really are foolish people.

You don't understand the enemy. Has nothing to do with making people feel "better" about the past. It is about erasing a the tradition and culture of a people. Destroy the family, destroy religion, and destroy tradition and what do people have left? The objective of the Cultural Marxists is to destroy the social and cultural institutions that allow self sufficiency so that all that is left is the state.

I'm no fan of Joe Morrissey, and for a number of reasons I would not champion the removal of statues, but in general with situations like this I do think it's at least logical to ask: "Would anyone support building [pick a statue] today?" or in the case of a law or some longstanding tradition "Would we enact and support [said law/tradition] today if it didn't already exist?"

If the answer is yes, then it's an open and shut case. If the answer is no, then it's fair to have a discussion about it, at least. I abhor the argument that something can't or shouldn't be changed because "it's always been that way." That's just a lazy way of looking at things and inherently it means "I don't have any real way of supporting my belief."

Now in this particular case, Annap is correct – of course the removal of a statue would not and should not make anyone forget or feel better about the atrocities that happened in the past. If that's Morrissey's reason for trying to remove this one, it's a foolish attempt.

Where does this stuff end? George Washington owned slaves, that's as good a reason to raze DC as any.

When we change the name for Brazilian nuts and change the name of whom we are trying to catch by the toe when we recite eenie, meenie, minee, mo...and so forth.

Last edited:
It's a ****ing statue. In Richmond. Get over it. Where does PC end?
Saddam Hussein had a statue in Baghdad. Lenin had a statue in St Petersburg (nee, Leningrad). Hopefully, it never ends, though it needs to be kept in check. It's called progress. Surprisingly hard for some to accept.

It's not about who built these monuments. The White House was built by slaves and African Americans take pride in having done so. It's about flaunting repugnant monuments in the face of those who they offend, especially when those who they offend constitute the majority of the citizens in the municipality in which they stand.

Morrisey must have read one or two of Trump's books. This is Morriseys "wall". Just wait until he says that he'll make the Sons of the Confederacy "pay for it" to be removed.

Like the Republican primary, the mayors race needs a winnowing of candidates badly. And soon.

Reactions: Hanca
Morrisey lives in Varina (eastern Henrico). Not sure how he qualifies for Mayor of Richmond. I guess that he must maintain a condo or an apartment in the City.
BTW, I am not a Morrisey supporter and never have been. Some of my closest friends who know him have told me more shocking things about him than anything ever written in the papers. Morrissey is probably just pandering for votes which is the assumption I have of most politicians with every public statement they make. In this instance, however, I agree with his idea with respect to the JD Monument.

Though I have different opinions from others on this board as to the JD Monument, I do not think that it should be destroyed, but rather moved to a museum setting along with some other confederate buildings, etc., which are out of place where they presently stand. I agree that they have a historical significance and should be preserved. My idea would involve the establishment of a new Museum of the Confederacy (replacing the current American Civil War Museum on Tredegar) and relocate the White House of the Confederacy now surrounded by VCU Medical along with a multitude of other confederate artifacts and memorabilia there along with certain monuments which are offensive to a substantial portion of the citizens where they are now located. The new Museum would consist of 20 acres, more or less, and serve to centralize and house other artifacts, memorabilia, and monuments and buildings which appear to me to be inappropriately located where they currently stand.
If such an idea ever came to fruition it would be paid for by private sources and the Sons of the Confederacy would, indeed, be critical in raising funds for the new Museum.

If you remove the monuments, what are the unintended consequences?
Description from the National Parks Service:
Monument Avenue Historic District shares the distinction with Jackson Ward of being one of only two National Historic Landmark districts within the City of Richmond. Monument Avenue is the nation’s only grand residential boulevard with monuments of its scale surviving almost unaltered to the present day. The district is nationally significant for its architecture and as an example of city planning. A broad residential tree-lined street extending for some five miles from inner city Richmond westward into Henrico County, the avenue takes its name from the series of monumental statues that mark its major intersections, generally in the center of traffic circles. For many years, the street was Richmond’s ceremonial parade route. Included among those who have journeyed to the Governor’s Mansion along “The Avenue” are Marshall Foch, Commander Richard Evelyn Byrd, Winston Churchill, General Eisenhower, and Queen Elizabeth.

"Monument Avenue Historic District" includes the part of Monument Avenue from Birch Street in the east to Roseneath Avenue in the west, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a National Historic Landmark District. In 2007, the American Planning Association named Monument Avenue one of the 10 Great Streets in the country.[6] The APA said Monument Avenue was selected for its historic architecture, urban form, quality residential and religious architecture, diversity of land uses, public art and integration of multiple modes of transportation.[

Your comments though accurate do not fit the agenda of those that espouse the single cause of the War Between the States was slavery and would prefer to make an in your face statement by tearing down flags and monuments jto make them feel better with or without reason to justify the action. Fighting Joe's antics are for votes.

just what the taliban did in afganistan, something they don't like, offends them, they destroyed it. what a great way of life

just what the taliban did in afganistan, something they don't like, offends them, they destroyed it. what a great way of life

Removing any monument from Monument Avenue would be an embarrassment to the City and a blow to common sense. There are bigger problems to tackle and distractions like this are like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. Difficult conversations need to be had and people may be offended but if everyone is truly interested in improvement they will work past that. If people are only interested in assigning blame and strengthening their victim status then positive change will never happen. Taking down a statue will not accomplish a damn thing.

Reactions: MolivaManiac
i, monument avenue is a museum, so why move it or destroy it?
Perhaps, Spinner (and Billy Wayne), Monument Avenue is a museum in the broadest sense of the word. I admit that I had never considered that and appreciate your pointing it out. That said, I have never suggested that the JD Memorial should be destroyed. In fact, I believe without a doubt that it does have historical significance and should be preserved. I realize that my opinion is in major part in direct opposition to Mayor Dwight Jones (an Afro-American) who does not feel threatened by it, but I certainly agree with him that it should not be destroyed.

Do you think that we could relocate the White House of the Confederacy on Monument within the historic district? Ever tried to find parking in the 1200 block of E Clay Street? VCU Medical Center never closes. The area is like the Fort Lee Bridge in New Jersey when lanes were closed by Governor Christie (or his staff). Visiting the nearby Valentine Museum is just as bad. Because of the growth of VCU Medical both are very difficult to locate and find parking within walking distance. I think they should both be relocated as well.

In my opinion, the perfect location for a new Confederate Museum would be somewhere adjacent to the VMFA (Virginia Museum of Fine Art) . I lived in the Museum District for about four years and walked my dogs throughout the grounds of the VMFA almost nightly, learning a lot about the existing connections with the confederacy already on the grounds. I had hoped that when Benedictine High School had considered moving its city campus to the far West End that the VMFA, which is adjacent to the United Daughters of the Confederacy Museum and the Virginia Historical Society, both also facing the Boulevard, would purchase that property, even though having recently completed an estimated $500,000 renovation and expansion of its base building and adding significant parking, the VMFA had the money did, in fact, attempt to purchase the property.
It would be the logical place to centralize a Confederate Museum all of which would be located on the campus of the VMFA. The Confederate Memorial Chapel is located on Grove Avenue behind the VMFA. The Robinson house (demolished in the early 1940s after the death of the last resident if the Confederate soldiers' home), is located directly adjacent to the VMFA. It was the building where the superintendent and other staff overseeing the Confederate soldier's home resided. It served as the institutional headquarters for the R. E. Lee Confederate Soldiers’ Home until 1941. Incidentally, the Home for Needy Confederate Women (mostly widows of confederate soldiers, acquired by the VMFA in 1989, and now the Pauley Center and used by the VMFA for other purposes) is located directly behind the VMFA and across the street from Benedictine High School which is, itself, directly behind the VMFA. Alas, however, the Museum's purchase fell through when Benedictine decided not to sell.

The following structures are still standing on the VMFA campus (or adjacent thereto) and can be viewed (at least in part) by visitors interested in viewing Civil War history.

Morris house (an ancillary building and all that remains of the Confederate soldier's home) located adjacent to the main structure of the VMFA on the northern side facing the Museum:
campus-robinson-house_455.jpg

Confederate Memorial Chapel (on Grove Ave adjacent to the old rear entrance to the Museum):
campus-chapel_455.jpg

Home for Needy Confederate Women (directly adjacent to and west of the main building):
campus-pauley-center_455.jpg

Virginia Museum for the United Daughters of the Confederacy:
(directly adjacent to on the north of the VMFA )
ls.jpg

Civil War Horse statue in front of the Virginia Historical Society:
A touching memorial which can only be fully appreciated when viewed in person.
0e9e07336c8680f6d3084d4f6a20ef5b.jpg

With the addition of the Benedictine campus, there would have existed an opportunity to expand the campus of the VMFA and, hopefully, a perfect location to establish a more centralized location for many of the historical monuments and artifacts appreciated by Civil War enthusiasts, including the relocation of the Jefferson Davis statue.

As to Jefferson Davis, a few probably little-known facts:
He was not a Virginian and had very few Virginia connections prior to becoming the President of the Confederacy. He was born in Kentucky and bred in New Orleans, became a senator from Mississippi, operated a large cotton farm with more than 100 slaves, wife's name was Varina Davis (nee Howell) who was 18 years his junior ( after whom, I assume the Varina district of Henrico County is named). After the war he was bonded from prison having serving two years in officers quarters, he went with his family to Canada until 1868 when he was pardoned by Andrew Johnson whereupon he took his family to Tennessee to work for an insurance company. He ran for office again from Tennessee but was denied because of constitutional provisions. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetary in Richmond.

From Wikipedia: "Many historians attribute the Confederacy's weaknesses to the poor leadership of President Davis.[5] His preoccupation with detail, reluctance to delegate responsibility, lack of popular appeal, feuds with powerful state governors and generals, favoritism toward old friends, inability to get along with people who disagreed with him, neglect of civil matters in favor of military ones, and resistance to public opinion all worked against him.[6][7] Historians agree he was a much less effective war leader than his Union counterpart Abraham Lincoln. After Davis was captured in 1865, he was accused of treason. He was never tried and was released after two years. While not disgraced, Davis had been displaced in ex-Confederate affection after the war by his leading general, Robert E. Lee."

Jefferson Davis with Varina Howell (1845):
200px-Davis_Wedding_Picture_1845.jpg

I find it noteworthy that there is not another monument or statue on Monument Avenue of a person with fewer ties to Virginia or whose criticism for failure approaches that of Davis, even from those in the South. The other statues on the Monument are General J.E.B. Stuart, General Robert E. Lee, Cannon, Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson, Matthew Fontaine Maury and Arthur Ashe, all revered Virginians with family roots, education and substantial contributions to Virginia's history. Jefferson Davis, on the other hand, had to reluctantly relocate in Virginia to perform the duties imposed upon his by his office. He came because of a job, and he left as soon as he had to, never returning except to eulogize Robert E Lee at his funeral.

Jefferson Davis Monument (Monument at Davis Ave):
images

jeffersondavis.jpg

I am not trying to continue a discussion in an argumentative manner. I understand and appreciate the positions of those who do not agree with me. I know and accept that I am outvoted on this issue. I just want to point out that in addition to what I feel is a racial affront to the majority of the citizens of the City of Richmond, I find many non-racial, salient reasons which make me take a different position than you on the removal and relocation of the Jefferson Davis Memorial. Joe Morrissey's statement probably takes none of this into account, and I do not stand with him politically.

Perhaps, Spinner (and Billy Wayne), Monument Avenue is a museum in the broadest sense of the word. I admit that I had never considered that and appreciate your pointing it out. That said, I have never suggested that the JD Memorial should be destroyed. In fact, I believe without a doubt that it does have historical significance and should be preserved. I realize that my opinion is in major part in direct opposition to Mayor Dwight Jones (an Afro-American) who does not feel threatened by it, but I certainly agree with him that it should not be destroyed.

Do you think that we could relocate the White House of the Confederacy on Monument within the historic district? Ever tried to find parking in the 1200 block of E Clay Street? VCU Medical Center never closes. The area is like the Fort Lee Bridge in New Jersey when lanes were closed by Governor Christie (or his staff). Visiting the nearby Valentine Museum is just as bad. Because of the growth of VCU Medical both are very difficult to locate and find parking within walking distance. I think they should both be relocated as well.

In my opinion, the perfect location for a new Confederate Museum would be somewhere adjacent to the VMFA (Virginia Museum of Fine Art) . I lived in the Museum District for about four years and walked my dogs throughout the grounds of the VMFA almost nightly, learning a lot about the existing connections with the confederacy already on the grounds. I had hoped that when Benedictine High School had considered moving its city campus to the far West End that the VMFA, which is adjacent to the United Daughters of the Confederacy Museum and the Virginia Historical Society, both also facing the Boulevard, would purchase that property, even though having recently completed an estimated $500,000 renovation and expansion of its base building and adding significant parking, the VMFA had the money did, in fact, attempt to purchase the property.
It would be the logical place to centralize a Confederate Museum all of which would be located on the campus of the VMFA. The Confederate Memorial Chapel is located on Grove Avenue behind the VMFA. The Robinson house (demolished in the early 1940s after the death of the last resident if the Confederate soldiers' home), is located directly adjacent to the VMFA. It was the building where the superintendent and other staff overseeing the Confederate soldier's home resided. It served as the institutional headquarters for the R. E. Lee Confederate Soldiers’ Home until 1941. Incidentally, the Home for Needy Confederate Women (mostly widows of confederate soldiers, acquired by the VMFA in 1989, and now the Pauley Center and used by the VMFA for other purposes) is located directly behind the VMFA and across the street from Benedictine High School which is, itself, directly behind the VMFA. Alas, however, the Museum's purchase fell through when Benedictine decided not to sell.

The following structures are still standing on the VMFA campus (or adjacent thereto) and can be viewed (at least in part) by visitors interested in viewing Civil War history.

Morris house (an ancillary building and all that remains of the Confederate soldier's home) located adjacent to the main structure of the VMFA on the northern side facing the Museum:
campus-robinson-house_455.jpg

Confederate Memorial Chapel (on Grove Ave adjacent to the old rear entrance to the Museum):
campus-chapel_455.jpg

Home for Needy Confederate Women (directly adjacent to and west of the main building):
campus-pauley-center_455.jpg

Virginia Museum for the United Daughters of the Confederacy:
(directly adjacent to on the north of the VMFA )
ls.jpg

Civil War Horse statue in front of the Virginia Historical Society:
A touching memorial which can only be fully appreciated when viewed in person.
0e9e07336c8680f6d3084d4f6a20ef5b.jpg

With the addition of the Benedictine campus, there would have existed an opportunity to expand the campus of the VMFA and, hopefully, a perfect location to establish a more centralized location for many of the historical monuments and artifacts appreciated by Civil War enthusiasts, including the relocation of the Jefferson Davis statue.

As to Jefferson Davis, a few probably little-known facts:
He was not a Virginian and had very few Virginia connections prior to becoming the President of the Confederacy. He was born in Kentucky and bred in New Orleans, became a senator from Mississippi, operated a large cotton farm with more than 100 slaves, wife's name was Varina Davis (nee Howell) who was 18 years his junior ( after whom, I assume the Varina district of Henrico County is named). After the war he was bonded from prison having serving two years in officers quarters, he went with his family to Canada until 1868 when he was pardoned by Andrew Johnson whereupon he took his family to Tennessee to work for an insurance company. He ran for office again from Tennessee but was denied because of constitutional provisions. He is buried in Hollywood Cemetary in Richmond.

From Wikipedia: "Many historians attribute the Confederacy's weaknesses to the poor leadership of President Davis.[5] His preoccupation with detail, reluctance to delegate responsibility, lack of popular appeal, feuds with powerful state governors and generals, favoritism toward old friends, inability to get along with people who disagreed with him, neglect of civil matters in favor of military ones, and resistance to public opinion all worked against him.[6][7] Historians agree he was a much less effective war leader than his Union counterpart Abraham Lincoln. After Davis was captured in 1865, he was accused of treason. He was never tried and was released after two years. While not disgraced, Davis had been displaced in ex-Confederate affection after the war by his leading general, Robert E. Lee."

Jefferson Davis with Varina Howell (1845):
200px-Davis_Wedding_Picture_1845.jpg

I find it noteworthy that there is not another monument or statue on Monument Avenue of a person with fewer ties to Virginia or whose criticism for failure approaches that of Davis, even from those in the South. The other statues on the Monument are General J.E.B. Stuart, General Robert E. Lee, Cannon, Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson, Matthew Fontaine Maury and Arthur Ashe, all revered Virginians with family roots, education and substantial contributions to Virginia's history. Jefferson Davis, on the other hand, had to reluctantly relocate in Virginia to perform the duties imposed upon his by his office. He came because of a job, and he left as soon as he had to, never returning except to eulogize Robert E Lee at his funeral.

Jefferson Davis Monument (Monument at Davis Ave):
images

jeffersondavis.jpg

I am not trying to continue a discussion in an argumentative manner. I understand and appreciate the positions of those who do not agree with me. I know and accept that I am outvoted on this issue. I just want to point out that in addition to what I feel is a racial affront to the majority of the citizens of the City of Richmond, I find many non-racial, salient reasons which make me take a different position than you on the removal and relocation of the Jefferson Davis Memorial. Joe Morrissey's statement probably takes none of this into account, and I do not stand with him politically.

Do you honestly think it would stop with just the JD monument?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT