ADVERTISEMENT

Hallock reception

AnnapSpider

Graduate Assistant
May 8, 2003
Annapolis, MD
I was invited to President’Hallock’s reception , here in Baltimore.
I responded - when the Egyptians tear down the Sphinx and the Pyramids,
all built by slaves, I might consider supporting him.
Don’t think for a fraction of a second that I don’t think slavery was horrible
and something we should all regret that it ever happened. But for the President
of an academic university to attempt to re-write history is ignorant and pathetic. .

Reactions: Spider B
of an academic university to attempt to re-write history is ignorant and pathetic. .
I met him in a small setting recently. He mentioned his life of privilege and his privileged upbringing probably 15 times. I was quite taken aback at the gall of any individual speaking that way to a group of adults, most of whom are self-made. Like others of his ilk, he knows more than we do. He is an inveterate snob and he was rude.

G, sorry you had that experience, I have not spoken to him as I have made zero effort. So I cannot speak for myself, but a number of people I trust have expressed nearly opposite impressions that you experienced,

G, sorry you had that experience, I have not spoken to him as I have made zero effort. So I cannot speak for myself, but a number of people I trust have expressed nearly opposite impressions that you experienced,
With all due respect, the guy is not the King of England. We did away with nobility starting in 1776. Noble he is not.

I've been with him and his wife, Tina, on a number of occasions. I was impressed with how down to earth he is. My experience was exactly the opposite of AnapSpider and Gallipoli.

I've been with him and his wife, Tina, on a number of occasions. I was impressed with how down to earth he is. My experience was exactly the opposite of AnapSpider and Gallipoli.
Oh, did he say if the Egyptians were going to tear down the Pyramids and the Sphinx?

I hadn't heard we are tearing down the former Ryland Hall, the former Freeman Hall and the former TC Williams Law School. I thought they were just being renamed.

Thanks for the update.

• Haha
Reactions: Eight Legger
I met him in a small setting recently. He mentioned his life of privilege and his privileged upbringing probably 15 times. I was quite taken aback at the gall of any individual speaking that way to a group of adults, most of whom are self-made. Like others of his ilk, he knows more than we do. He is an inveterate snob and he was rude.
In what context?

“I grew up with a life of privilege and I am clearly better than everyone who did not, including you pathetic losers in this room!”

Or

“I grew up with a life of privilege and it made me realize the importance of helping those who did not”?

I hadn't heard we are tearing down the former Ryland Hall, the former Freeman Hall and the former TC Williams Law School. I thought they were just being renamed.

Thanks for the update.
If you don’t understand the analogy between re-writing history and tearing something down, I’m sorry.

In what context?

“I grew up with a life of privilege and I am clearly better than everyone who did not, including you pathetic losers in this room!”

Or

“I grew up with a life of privilege and it made me realize the importance of helping those who did not”?

Thanks for the update.
I don’t understand why not tear down all structures previously named by owners of slaves, relatives of slave owners, segregationists, regardless of lifetime achievements. If the goal is to whitewash slavery, rewrite US history, or any other woke ventures let’s do it correctly. If the names no longer exist, the structures no longer exist, what more is there to accomplish? That and removing all monuments, etc. should make the world a better place as racism will be totally eradicated. Oops, I forgot about reparations.

Remove names, tear down buildings, disassemble monuments, pay reparations, etc. Will that do it? Can we move forward without having wokeness shoved in our faces every day?

In what context?

Or

Aren't both equally condescending and hypocritical and aren't both equally rude? In either case, Mr. Hallock believes his privileged upbringing makes him a superior person. In both instances, he believes he has the right to judge others. Of the two, the second is worse because it is so patronizing.

I don't expect him to last long.

Dr. Hallock, I doubt you have the time to read this board, but I have to make a suggestion to
you. Get in your car and go to one of the finest HBCU schools in the country, Morgan State University.
In fact, you might learn something from them, instead of your white privileged, far liberal, naive agenda.
This past week they tore down a wall built 100 years ago by a white neighborhood to separate
the black students from coming into their stores and neighborhoods.
But as they tore it down, the far smarter President of Morgan State knew that keeping part
of the wall so no one forgets the past would be the appropriate approach. And it will stand as
a symbol of past bigotry. He wouldn’t remove the name from a school, but post plaques
noting the realization of our shame, that will never happen again on our campus.
Sadly, Dr. Hallock, you’re a fool.

Here is the latest communication (an announcement that just came out) from our Glorious Leader on racial preferences in higher education...He either sounds like a Hillary Clinton campaign slogan or a VP Kamala Harris word salad. There was no coherent though in the whole announcement. Where is Bruce Heilman?

We are stronger together because we continue to learn from each other and our varied and diverse set of backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives. We will continue our important work to advance our mission.

The seminal Clarence Thomas said, in his concurrence, that racial preferences had to end.
"Even in the segregated South where I grew up, individuals were not the sum of their skin color. Then as now, not all disparities are based on race; not all people are racist; and not all differences between individuals are ascribable to race. Put simply, 'the fate of abstract categories of wealth statistics is not the same as the fate of a given set of flesh-and-blood human beings," Thomas said.

"While I am painfully aware of the social and economic ravages which have befallen my race and all who suffer discrimination, I hold out enduring hope that this country will live up to its principles so clearly enunciated in the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution of the United States: that all men are created equal, are equal citizens, and must be treated equally before the law,"

For those not paying attention, today the US Supreme Court struck down the use of race as a factor in college admissions.

In a 6-3 decision, the court rejected the arguments of the universities and said the use of race as a factor in college admissions is a violation of the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in the majority opinion that both admissions programs at Harvard and the University of North Carolina "lack sufficiently focused and measurable objectives warranting the use of race, unavoidably employ race in a negative manner, involve racial stereotyping, and lack meaningful end points."

"We have never permitted admissions programs to work in that way, and we will not do so today," he said.

CSZDTWYPLZBN7GASGMJKVH23ZY.jpg

Clarence's head emerged from the hip pockets of the billionaires who control him long enough to say something stupid again, and then to mansplain to Justice Jackson, probably the smartest person on the Supreme Court.

Here is the latest communication (an announcement that just came out) from our Glorious Leader on racial preferences in higher education...He either sounds like a Hillary Clinton campaign slogan or a VP Kamala Harris word salad. There was no coherent though in the whole announcement. Where is Bruce Heilman?

We are stronger together because we continue to learn from each other and our varied and diverse set of backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives. We will continue our important work to advance our mission.
Is this an example of virtue signaling? It looked like he already had the email drafted. It was in my inbox, within minutes of the announcement of the court's decision. That is how I knew the decision had been promulgated.

What are you upset about? Are you offended by his suggestion that learning from each other and a diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives is a good thing? We could always just pick one group of homogenous people for everyone to learn from instead, I guess. Would that be better?

Reactions: Wood Hall
Elizabeth Warren chimed in and has issued a press release.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Senator Elizabeth Warren forcefully denounced the Supreme Court decision to ban affirmative action, explaining that it's the only reason a young Native American girl like herself was able to go to Rutgers.

"I would have been trapped in a life of growing corn and tanning buffalo hides," explained Senator Warren. "For me, affirmative action was the difference between Rutgers and the reservation."

According to her autobiography, Elizabeth Warren grew up in Oklahoma as part of the Comanche tribe. Despite spending most of her days in a teepee preparing buffalo stew, the young Liz Warren harbored a dream to one day go to Rutgers and become a Senator. "I had no Ivy League qualifications -- nothing but the ability to shoot a deer through the heart with an arrow from fifty yards," said Mrs. Warren. "Rutgers took away a spot from a more qualified white man and gave it to me, allowing me a chance to take back the prosperity the white man stole from my tribe. Without affirmative action, my life would be nothing but a trail of tears."

lk063023dAPR.jpg
This story about Senator Warren is, of course, complete bullshit, a poor attempt at satire from supporters of Trump and the "stolen election" nonsense that continues to drag down the Grand Qanon Party.

What isn't BS is that Clarence Thomas, probably the dumbest SC justice in history and a paid puppet of right-wing billionaires, was admitted to Yale Law School under Affirmative Action guidelines.

The worst Supreme Court in our country's long history continues to burnish its reputation for poor decisions. Somewhere Roger Taney is smiling because Roberts has replaced him as the shittiest Chief Justice ever.

Wood, need clarification on your position . Appears you strongly disagree with SC AA decision? Yet you point to CT as the dumbest dude on the bench, only got there through AA. Take it due to race he bumped more qualified candidates throughout his career, all the way to the SC. How do you square that with the recent AA decision?

Reactions: Gallipoli
There were numerous other Black judges far more capable than Thomas who could have been selected to succeed Thurgood Marshall. Bush replaced one of the greatest SC judges of the 20th century with a career .230 hitter.

AA makes race ONE of the many factors to be considered in admissions, hiring, etc. Not the only one. It should not be completely excluded.

lk063023dAPR.jpg
This story about Senator Warren is, of course, complete bullshit, a poor attempt at satire from supporters of Trump and the "stolen election" nonsense that continues to drag down the Grand Qanon Party.

What isn't BS is that Clarence Thomas, probably the dumbest SC justice in history and a paid puppet of right-wing billionaires, was admitted to Yale Law School under Affirmative Action guidelines.

The worst Supreme Court in our country's long history continues to burnish its reputation for poor decisions. Somewhere Roger Taney is smiling because Roberts has replaced him as the shittiest Chief Justice ever.
Interesting Asians have been forgotten is this decision. Im black so no other minorities count. Oh that’s right, they do
it on they going do it on their own. BTW, what is the Constitution?

AA makes race ONE of the many factors to be considered in admissions, hiring, etc. Not the only one. It should not be completely excluded.
No, race has become THE factor in admissions, because it has been required as a condition to participate in federal funding. This became super charged under the Obama and Biden Administrations.

Reactions: spider fan
There were numerous other Black judges far more capable than Thomas who could have been selected to succeed Thurgood Marshall. Bush replaced one of the greatest SC judges of the 20th century with a career .230 hitter.

And Brown Jackson ? POTUS stated he would only appoint a black woman, disregarding all other races and gender. AA at it’s worse, eliminating those that are potentially more qualified.

Reactions: spider fan
With a tip of the hat to Alan Arkin - recently deceased - of Catch 22 fame here is the logic:
We have to discriminate on the basis of race in order to stop discrimination on the basis of race. In other words if we favor some people because of their race we will have to disfavor others because of their race. It is a zero sum game, but we must do it to stop discrimination.

Now Arkin:
  • (Alan Arkin) "Ok, let me see if I've got this straight. In order to be grounded, I've got to be crazy. And I must be crazy to keep flying. But if I ask to be grounded, that means I'm not crazy anymore, and I have to keep flying."

Reactions: 64Spider
And Brown Jackson ? POTUS stated he would only appoint a black woman, disregarding all other races and gender. AA at it’s worse, eliminating those that are potentially more qualified.
You mean like when Trump appointed Barrett? You think he considered anyone other than a white female evangelical?

The Supreme Court has existed for nearly 250 years. It's amazing how bent out of shape some people got when the President said he was finally finding a place on the court for the FIRST Black female.

You'd be very, very, very hard-pressed to find anyone MORE qualified than Brown Jackson. She is brilliant.

Reactions: urfan1
You mean like when Trump appointed Barrett? You think he considered anyone other than a white female evangelical?

The Supreme Court has existed for nearly 250 years. It's amazing how bent out of shape some people got when the President said he was finally finding a place on the court for the FIRST Black female.

You'd be very, very, very hard-pressed to find anyone MORE qualified than Brown Jackson. She is brilliant.
Barrett? Same as any other that took the seat of others more qualified. Jackson, I’ll take your opinion she brilliant, POTUS should have stated he nominated the most qualified individual, but that was not his selection criteria. Preferred to make it an issue of AA, race, and politics leaving most to believe she a justice due to being a black female. He did her no favors.

No, I don't like Clarence Thomas because he's a lying, compromised, unethical judge, beholding to his billionaire friends.
And he is there due to AA, replacing a more qualified individual. The SC got it right, no place for AA in any institution.

No, I don't like Clarence Thomas because he's a lying, compromised, unethical judge, beholding to his billionaire friends.
The US Supreme Court, to my knowledge, is the only Court in the country whose judges are not covered by a Code of Ethics. I don't care if Supreme Court judges are conservative, liberal, black, white or Hispanic, they should all be subjected to a code of conduct just like every other Judge in this country. And since its the Supreme Court that has the final say, it is even more compelling that this be the case. If Thomas were a judge in any other Court, chances are he would be removed or at least disciplined in some fashion. Because he's on the Supreme Court, the only remedy for removal is to have him impeached, and that's not going to happen. As to Supreme Court justices, they can do just about anything unethical and pay no consequences.

Reactions: urfan1
AA is a tricky topic. I think most of us would prefer that we all could compete equally for whatever opportunities we wanted and that we all could do so having had the same opportunities. Unfortunately, that's not always the case, and yes, it very much creates a chicken-and-egg situation.

It's undeniable that people of color, collectively, have been subject to more roadblocks and hurdles than others and that as a result, the opportunities haven't been equal for them. Often this is the result of economic disadvantages that are skewed disproportionately against POC.

I'd probably be supportive of some type of affirmative action policies in certain situations that are based upon economic backgrounds rather than on race or ethnicity, because I think they would achieve the desired goals without separating people by race.

And he is there due to AA, replacing a more qualified individual. The SC got it right, no place for AA in any institution.
No, he's there because Bush made a horrible choice.

There were numerous other, more qualified candidates who also benefitted from AA giving them a little boost to counteract decades and decades of oppression and unequal opportunity.

No, he's there because Bush made a horrible choice.

There were numerous other, more qualified candidates who also benefitted from AA giving them a little boost to counteract decades and decades of oppression and unequal opportunity.
You are entitled to your opinion, but whether CT or any other AA candidate, high probability more qualified individuals were bumped. AA is not the method to correct disadvantages you mention per the SC.

It is generally agreed among Court watchers that Justice Sotomayor is the intellectual weak link on the SC, not Justice Thomas. Think he would be second, just my personal view. Find his wife's deep involvement in partisan politics troubling as well.

Thurgood Marshall was a great civil rights attorney whose efforts before appointment to the Court contributed mightily to moving the needle in the right direction. In contrast, he was considered "lazy" while on the Court leaving his Clerks to do virtually everything. Resting on his laurels or just mailing it in so to speak. Far from among the greatest SC judges in 20th Century.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT