ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting history recap

urmite

Spider's Club
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
I know many don't think much of 247sports but they do seem to have the best summary of what recruiting "publicity" is out there. Take that "publicity" for what it is worth. Given that, the last 8 recruiting seasons were:

2010 - Lindsey, D Williams, Sparrow - ranked 5th A-10 86th in D1
2011 - Anthony, Ododa, Davis, Pitrowski - 2nd, 94th
2012 - Allen, Taylor - no ranking, only 4 A10 teams got recruits that 247sports followed.
2013 - S Jones, Singleton, J Jones - 11th, 214th
2014 - Fore, Friendshuh, Smithen, Diekvoss - 12th, 177th
2015 - J Johnson (Pistokache not included) - 9th, 175
2016 - Buckingham, Sherod, Golden - 5th, 82nd
2017 - Godwin, Schneider - 1st, 19th

It appears to me that our ratio of recruits that have succeeded or are expected to succeed (by others not just within the program or fans) is on the upswing.

There is no need to dwell on the past. And no need for negatives about our present or future, although a certain amount of skepticism is healthy, assuming the negative is not.

Yes, it is still early in 2017 recruiting, so assuming we will stay a top 20 class would be foolish, but not being glad for where we are for that year or assuming how far we will fall is foolish as well.

Now, let's find a way to climb to new heights! it won't be all at once but one step a time...

Based on the in-depth analysis and evaluation of some our most knowledgable insiders on this board, I am frankly surprised that the 2016 class is only rated 5th in the A10 and 82nd in the nation. Looking back at the ratings of previous classes and the teams won-loss record over the same period, one could argue that these rankings were reasonable predictors of future performance. For our sake, I hope that the 2016 class is underrated by at least 50%. If not,it looks that we may reasonably expect only modest improvement in W-L's going forward.

Decided to take it back another full recruiting cycle.
2009 - Brothers, Robbins - 10th, 172nd
2008 - Duinker (no Garrett) - 12th, 314th
2007 - Anderson, Harper, K Smith, C Smith, C Richards - 10th 146th
2006 - Gonzalvez, Geroit, Horvde, B Morris, D Brewster, S Kendall - 6th, 120th

As I look closer interesting that the conference rank is based on current members, not members at the time.

247 is missing a lot of players, they also seem to have us higher than verbal commits consensus does.

Last edited:
QUOTE="fan2011, post: 152595, member: 732"]247 is missing a lot of players, they also seem to have us a lot higher than verbal commits consensus does.[/QUOTE]
Although both sites have many things that they do well and many things that they don't, I think part of the difference is that 247 doesn't track players who are not in their top 500-600 (depends on the year).
I suppose the cutoff is if no major recruiting service has a direct report on the player.

all you need to know is that this I live in my mom's baseman website, ranked the KA/JH class, which arguably produced one of our greatest players ever and only the 2nd NBA we had, 146th.

That is all you need to know about "rankings"
and how many stars did mr. 2,000 points, Kendall Anthony, get?
rankings are all we have until they get on campus. after that is what matters.

all you need to know is that this I live in my mom's baseman website, ranked the KA/JH class, which arguably produced one of our greatest players ever and only the 2nd NBA we had, 146th.

I completely agree that there is little to no value in "rankings".
However that site doesn't directly rank anyone to my knowledge. What it does is compile the "in person viewing report rankings" of recruiting scouts from the "live in my mom's basement" sites of ESPN, Rivals, and Scouts.
Now how accurate those scouts are especially the further you get from the top 25 recruits each year is more than debatable...

You're right. That's why Duke wins so many championships with 1-3 star players. Oh wait...

Based on the in-depth analysis and evaluation of some our most knowledgable insiders on this board, I am frankly surprised that the 2016 class is only rated 5th in the A10 and 82nd in the nation. Looking back at the ratings of previous classes and the teams won-loss record over the same period, one could argue that these rankings were reasonable predictors of future performance. For our sake, I hope that the 2016 class is underrated by at least 50%. If not,it looks that we may reasonably expect only modest improvement in W-L's going forward.
After our sweet 16 until this year our recruiting classes have ranked ~11th in the A10 on average. In the same time frame we have finished ~7th on average, roughly 4 spots higher. Could it be that if we recruit ~5th best in the A10 we will on average finish in 1st place, 4 spots higher? Regardless, this incoming class is a very large step in the right direction.

Look at all the "4 star" players VDU gets and they are still usually home watching basketball on TV the week after we are.

Reactions: Ulla1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT