ADVERTISEMENT

Putting up your money for The Cause

32counter

Spider's Club
Apr 8, 2008
Siesta Key,FL
University of Richmond set to build $15 million basketball training and performance facility
JOHN O'CONNOR Richmond Times-Dispatch·10 minutes ago

The University of Richmond announced Wednesday before its men's basketball game against visiting Massachusetts that a training and performance center for the men's and women's hoops programs will be built adjacent to the Robins Center.

The new facility, expected to cost $15 million, launches with a $7.5 million lead gift by Paul and Anne-Marie Queally, 1986 UR graduates. Construction is expected to begin late in the spring of 2019, following the completion of a successful fundraising effort, and the projected opening is fall 2020.

The Queally Athletics Center will be located behind the Robins Center, as one faces the arena's main entrance. Future Spiders will "enjoy the benefits of one of the absolute best training and performance facilities in the country," John Hardt, a UR vice president and director of athletics, said in a school release.

Richmond's campus already includes Queally Hall, part of the E. Claiborne Robins School of Business, and the Queally Center, the school's headquarters for admissions, financial aid and career services. Paul and Anne-Marie Queally made the lead gifts for both of those buildings.

Included in the Queally Athletics Center will be coaches' offices, locker rooms, a practice gym, sports medicine and strength-and-conditioning areas, an academic-support area, and a Spider Heritage Hall that celebrates the tradition of UR athletics.

"We've always been a place where we've really tried to get good players, but more importantly, really help those guys develop and become great players," said men's coach Chris Mooney, who recognized the recruiting assistance the facility will supply, as did Michael Shafer, the women's coach.

Shafer, in the school statement, called the Queally Athletics Center "a strong statement that the University of Richmond is committed to the success of its basketball programs and its student-athletes."

UR announced in June of 2008 that Millhiser Gymnasium, also adjacent to the Robins Center and where the Spiders played home games 1922-46, would be converted into a basketball practice facility at a cost of approximately $1.5 million.

By early in 2009, the school put that plan on hold, primarily because of deteriorating economic conditions.

About one-third of the 14 A-10 schools have basketball training-and-performance centers of some sort. They are beneficial from a practical standpoint, but also are recruiting tools as demonstrations of basketball commitment.

Typically, these support facilities include coaches' offices, locker rooms, meeting rooms, strength-and-conditioning areas and sports-medicine areas. Some have two full courts.

VCU is an A-10 member, as is Richmond, and the Rams opened their $25-million Basketball Development Center in 2015 behind the Siegel Center.

Virginia's John Paul Jones Arena, opened in 2006, features a built-in practice facility. At Virginia Tech the $21-million Hahn Hurst Practice Center opened in 2009. At Old Dominion, the $8.5-million Mitchum Basketball Performance Center opened in 2017. At George Mason, an existing gym was renovated and became a practice facility. That 2017 remodel was part of a $2.2-million phase of the school's Basketball Excellence Plan.

The Queally Athletics Center is the latest among a few significant facility upgrades at Richmond in recent years. UR in January began gutting much of the Robins Center's ground floor, the first phase of a $7 million project that will deliver a new football locker room, a new sports medicine area, a new strength-and-conditioning setup, a new equipment room, a new men's lacrosse locker room and new men's and women's coaches' locker rooms.

The Robins Center upstairs arena underwent a $17-million renovation in 2013, and renovations of some Olympic sports locker rooms and offices were recently completed.

Richmond Basketball: Committed to everything except winning.

All jokes aside I'm glad this is getting done. This is long overdue.

sbszy9.jpg

359e6wx.jpg

kany4p.jpg

We are lucky to have a donor like Queally. This is a big...and much needed addition for our men's and women's basketball programs. It has been mentioned on this board several times that Queally is firmly in Mooney's corner. I think this only solidifies that Mooney is here for a few more years if not more.

For clarification, I think the building is great news. As mentioned before, it probably means that Mooney isn't going anywhere, even if he goes 9-22 from now until the end of his contract.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
THANK YOU MR. AND MRS. QUEALLY!!!

This is exactly what I was talking about and we should be very grateful that we have the support of Queally to bring a lot of our vision to reality.

This, along with better alignment between athletics and academics, and changing coaches (if Mooney cannot get Buck and Sherod to the NCAA) and we are back in business.

This is a HUGE first step in showing our commitment to athletics and basketball. This news made my week

We are lucky to have a donor like Queally. This is a big...and much needed addition for our men's and women's basketball programs. It has been mentioned on this board several times that Queally is firmly in Mooney's corner. I think this only solidifies that Mooney is here for a few more years if not more.
I think this only solidifies that Mooney is here for a few more years if not more. For sure. Could have bought out CM's contract for well less than $7.5 million.

Great news though. Thank you Mr. Queally!

Reactions: spiders13
Obviously Queally is the wheel mover here, but can anyone say how long this has been In the works? If it’s just since Hardts in the job this is impressive.

Having a little trouble envision how this fits into the campus. Seems like an L-shaped facility with the court portion in the gap between the big RC ramp and Millhiser, and then the training/offices portion wrapping around the front of Millhiser.

But there's currently a big elevation change between the Millhiser/Robins Hall/Sarah Brunet quad and the front door of Millhiser. Rendering shows the main floor of the new facility is level with the front door of Millhiser, so things are going to be raised up quite a bit.

Obviously Queally is the wheel mover here, but can anyone say how long this has been In the works? If it’s just since Hardts in the job this is impressive.
This has seriously been in the works for about a year in one form or another. Things firmed up maybe six months ago.

Reactions: Ferrum Spider
I think this only solidifies that Mooney is here for a few more years if not more. For sure. Could have bought out CM's contract for well less than $7.5 million.

This facility will benefit our basketball program for years to come with Mooney or whomever it is. This renovation plus the other renovations are big sign that our school is committed to basketball excellence. This is fantastic news to what was otherwise a bleak season for us Spider fans.

Does anyone know why they are starting in spring 2019? Is it logistical reasons?

Reactions: gospidersgo
Because you need to announce to spur people to give.

Anyone else concerned that Hardt need to fundraise another $7.5 million in one year? Seems like a heck of a lot of money. Normally Spider club raises like $1-2 million a year

I really hope this comes to fruition because it'll put us in the top 3 of A10 with facilities and is a huge statement to future recruits

Since they are building the new practice court in the “gully” between Millhiser and the ramp to the RC from the backside, what will Millhiser be used for? It looks like the rest of new building will be between Millhiser and Campus Road, with the glass showcase bridging the gap between the new building, old gym and new practice gym, acting as the Spider Heritage Hall.

What's interesting to me is that there appears to be a second floor walkway going into Milhiser. Looks like a renovation there may be part of the plan.

When you walk into the glass structure, the gym appears straight back, set in a perpendicular fashion, with the workout facilities on the left. Perhaps Milhiser becomes office space. Frees up a lot of territory in RC. Interesting to see how that is consumed.

Yeah, not clear how much Millhiser is part of the project.

Huge news. Trying to figure out orientation - is the glass part in the rendering attaching to the front entrance of Milheiser?

Richmond does just enough to put on the "act" that it cares, but that is all it is - an act. We waited forever to build on campus football stadium. It is very nice, but its just enough to say we care, but didn't go that extra mile of say something like JMU did with their stadium and training center. Even this article alone points it out - VCU built a similar center and they spent 25 million, we follow behind them with a 15 million project. Not that we need to have the most expensive center in the land, but there is a big difference in 10 million dollars.

Not trying to rain on the parade - this is positive news, but I would temper my excitement a bit. Now - if on the heels of this we decide to fire Mooney and hire a big name coach - that is sending a message.

Now - if on the heels of this we decide to fire Mooney and hire a big name coach - that is sending a message.

I read this thing as "twelve months to raise 7.5M ... or else". We're in the same place for another twelve months but I can finally see an exit ramp.

Reactions: Eight Legger
Anyone else concerned that Hardt need to fundraise another $7.5 million in one year? Seems like a heck of a lot of money. Normally Spider club raises like $1-2 million a year

I really hope this comes to fruition because it'll put us in the top 3 of A10 with facilities and is a huge statement to future recruits

Nothing to do with Spider Club.Hardt knows how to raise money.Did same at Bucknell.
He and Queally are simpatico and have been from the get-go.

Most expect only wooden nickels being generated for this project from the Basketball Board posters.

Last edited:
It’ll get done, even if Queally has to quietly kick in the difference. But I don’t expect that to be necessary.

Reactions: RollSpides

You captured it perfectly on all accounts. It does solidify CM's tenure, whether you like it or not, and it's fantastic news. Huge thank you to Mr. & Mrs Quelly.

Richmond does just enough to put on the "act" that it cares, but that is all it is - an act. We waited forever to build on campus football stadium. It is very nice, but its just enough to say we care, but didn't go that extra mile of say something like JMU did with their stadium and training center. Even this article alone points it out - VCU built a similar center and they spent 25 million, we follow behind them with a 15 million project. Not that we need to have the most expensive center in the land, but there is a big difference in 10 million dollars.

An act?? One damn expensive act. UR will have spent upwards of $100M on athletic facilities in the last 10 years or so. This at a small, 3,000 undergraduate student university.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT