ADVERTISEMENT

Day of Giving

Wood Hall

Team Manager
Jan 26, 2015
UR raised almost $2 million from 4,300 donors Wednesday and Thursday on the annual Giving Day. Both are records. It would seem many alums/donors are happy with the direction of the University.

Athletics raised more than $1 million. Men's lacrosse ($220,000) and men's basketball ($174,000) raised the most money. Baseball raised $88k. I was happy to donate to women's basketball and baseball. Thanks to all who donated.

Reactions: urfan1
Thanks for the update. Those numbers seem impressive. But I have no idea how they compare to our peer schools (the first paragraph, primarily).

Reactions: urfan1
It's always a little interesting to see how few former Mooney players give back to the program financially. Now it doesn't mean they can't anonymously or do it outside UR Giving Day, but how likely that is idk. Regardless you think you'd see more involvement with this but u never do. A lot of the other teams do have much heavier player, player family, and former players contributing. With men's hoops (Mooney era) from what I noticed it was only Ryan Butler and Andre Gustavson, who is working with the Spider Fund.

It's always a little interesting to see how few former Mooney players give back to the program financially. Now it doesn't mean they can't anonymously or do it outside UR Giving Day, but how likely that is idk. Regardless you think you'd see more involvement with this but u never do. A lot of the other teams do have much heavier player, player family, and former players contributing. With men's hoops (Mooney era) from what I noticed it was only Ryan Butler and Andre Gustavson, who is working with the Spider Fund.
Ask anyone in develop or fund-raising. Athletes who attended on full scholarship and didn't pay a dime are among the cheapest when it comes to donating money to their school. They have a sense of entitlement. Those of us who paid and actually had skin in the game don't.

I don't necessarily know if it's a sense of entitlement or not, but my friends and I often take note of this when lists of donors are published. It definitely is more widespread than just men's basketball under Mooney though. We often look for players from "our era" particularly in football and men's basketball and see very little activity.

That does not mean they are not giving anonymously though--I almost always do, because of the perception of people who would think either: "that's all? They can afford more than that" or "that much? They should be more careful with their money." And that's only the handful of people that would know me, not all the fans would say "I can't believe Player X only give 3 figures when he/she is making so much playing overseas/selling footwear/as a doctor" etc.

I don't necessarily know if it's a sense of entitlement or not, but my friends and I often take note of this when lists of donors are published. It definitely is more widespread than just men's basketball under Mooney though. We often look for players from "our era" particularly in football and men's basketball and see very little activity.

That does not mean they are not giving anonymously though--I almost always do, because of the perception of people who would think either: "that's all? They can afford more than that" or "that much? They should be more careful with their money." And that's only the handful of people that would know me, not all the fans would say "I can't believe Player X only give 3 figures when he/she is making so much playing overseas/selling footwear/as a doctor" etc.
Could be. I just know what development people I've come into contact with over the years have told me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT