ADVERTISEMENT

Predict our conference record

How many conference games will we win this year?

• 7 wins or less (dumpster fire territory, fire Mooney talk dominates the message board)

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • 8-10 wins (around a .500 team like we've shown to be this year so far)

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • 11-12 wins (solid record, clearly toward the top of the conference)

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • 13+ wins (surefire top tier A10 team)

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
Sorry, I am not helping. I will say, we have seen things turn on a dime in sports. I am hopeful we will have some turn of events in the next year or two that will result in a huge boost to our hoops team. Not sure what this is. I was hopeful it was the A10 championship and upset of Iowa, but seems like that was not the stimulus we needed.
Does that make this year the inflation?

I really thought that the team would be able to get to more than the typical number of conference wins because of perceived success in the portal, Tyler returning for another year and my belief that the A10 was not a strong league. Figured that Mooney luck would also factor in where the team “overachieves”, but due to the turmoil in other programs. However, it seems that “underachievement” may be the case instead and so it extra disappointing. I also find it impossible to believe that the latest extension does not include an easier out for UR than the previous contract. How could a contract be written that was not in UR’s favor?

I really thought that the team would be able to get to more than the typical number of conference wins because of perceived success in the portal, Tyler returning for another year and my belief that the A10 was not a strong league. Figured that Mooney luck would also factor in where the team “overachieves”, but due to the turmoil in other programs. However, it seems that “underachievement” may be the case instead and so it extra disappointing. I also find it impossible to believe that the latest extension does not include an easier out for UR than the previous contract. How could a contract be written that was not in UR’s favor?
I agree with all you said. The talent at the point guard spot was the great unknown, and now we know.

I agree with all you said. The talent at the point guard spot was the great unknown, and now we know.
yeah, I think 90% of the board expected little to no dropoff at the point.
crazy to think that, in retrospect. but Nelson came with a ton of hype. we asked a lot of a first year guy who hadn't played competitively in a long time.

John Averett on Big Al's show this morning said something to the effect of the contract extension was not "given" but rather "earned," as in it was written into his previous contract that he got an auto extension for winning the A10. If so, that contract somehow got 100x worse.

John Averett on Big Al's show this morning said something to the effect of the contract extension was not "given" but rather "earned," as in it was written into his previous contract that he got an auto extension for winning the A10. If so, that contract somehow got 100x worse.
Again, why we saw his wife crying her eyes out when we won the A-10 championship. They were not tears of joy but rather tears of relief.

Interesting. Skeptical of that. Not for 3 years. That would be the worst contract ever considering his history & that we had already extended him off the 10 year w no ncaas since then. maybe it has a 1 year auto extension. & it certainly wasn't framed that way at all by UR. Everything announced and leading up to it was framed as a negotiation. So I would say it was overwhelmingly "given" unless they flat out want to deceive which is possible.

This is another reason why I have always harped on transparency for your highest contracted employees. It's a multi billion dollar business at U of R. Announce contract terms. And now we have a President who is supposedly some expert author on executive compensation & then as soon as he makes it to that echelon he's like nevermind.

Interesting. Skeptical of that. Not for 3 years. That would be the worst contract ever considering his history & that we had already extended him off the 10 year w no ncaas since then. maybe it has a 1 year auto extension. & it certainly wasn't framed that way at all by UR. Everything announced and leading up to it was framed as a negotiation. So I would say it was overwhelmingly "given" unless they flat out want to deceive which is possible.

This is another reason why I have always harped on transparency for your highest contracted employees. It's a multi billion dollar business at U of R. Announce contract terms. And now we have a President who is supposedly some expert author on executive compensation & then as soon as he makes it to that echelon he's like nevermind.
Agreed, I can't imagine that the original contract would have had a clause that said "At any time when you are employed as head coach, if you win the A10 tournament, you get an automatic three-year extension." What is that? Similarly, why would the extension have introduced a clause like that? Even more asinine.

Reactions: GKiller
agreed, I'm not buying that there was some auto-extension for winning once. makes no sense. there was clearly a negotiation.

Reactions: nathanw19
This has nothing to do with JW or Jim Miller.
My answer was mostly tongue in cheek but there’s some underlying seriousness to it. The mistake was not in hiring CM but in giving him a ten year contract. By leaving and UR ending up with Gill and then Hardt, we had two guys that both were unable to see/correct the mistake for what it was.

Had Miller stayed, I think he would have been itching to move on from CM after the back-to-back 20 loss seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: wr70beh
I actually thought that the reason for the extension before the run last year was because it would help with recruiting (show stability) and they wanted to keep the Gilly, Grant and Co. nucleus together. With the hoops landscape so different in college now, and the way the University does things, that’s a recipe for disaster in the hoops program.

Reactions: urfan1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT