ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Woj bomb!

This is becoming more common - a GM role, which as Woj states in the article, will help with NIL, Recruiting, Transfer portal, and probably anything else head coach needs.

To me - I think it could be a big help with NIL, especially when you get someone with a prominent name like Woj from ESPN. It might be a boost to NIL initially. But it can also help with transfer portal a lot I think. While the current coaches have to focus on the current team and games, Woj can be in the back room - watching other games, other teams and making a list of players that fit their system - so they are prepared when and if they hit the portal, or in the dark underworld of college hoops, they can be targeted for transfer before even hitting the portal.

Will UR ever go down this path?

Good for St. Bonaventure, can only help them. Little surprising because Woj was still at top of his game at ESPN. But their article spells it all out and Woj clearly has a love for his alma mater.

But it can also help with transfer portal a lot I think. While the current coaches have to focus on the current team and games, Woj can be in the back room - watching other games, other teams and making a list of players that fit their system - so they are prepared when and if they hit the portal, or in the dark underworld of college hoops, they can be targeted for transfer before even hitting the portal.
sorry. that all sounds good, but I don't see it. there will be little to no 5th year guys going forward. so no known transfers. he's just going to randomly watch a Siena game, and that'll somehow give them a leg up on Richmond if the Siena star decides to transfer???

Reactions: VT4700
Good for St. Bonaventure, can only help them. Little surprising because Woj was still at top of his game at ESPN. But their article spells it all out and Woj clearly has a love for his alma mater.
He may have been at the top of his game, but that job has to be demanding. Being attached to your phone 24 hours a day and trying to be first with the scoop. He made some money while at ESPN, so he can sit back and be passionate about his alma mater for a while.

Reactions: spider23
sorry. that all sounds good, but I don't see it. there will be little to no 5th year guys going forward. so no known transfers. he's just going to randomly watch a Siena game, and that'll somehow give them a leg up on Richmond if the Siena star decides to transfer???
No - my point is that in reality, we all know schools are targeting players, and it is likely to increase with these GM roles - players that maybe were not thinking of transferring or they get to them early, before their season even ends.

Using your example - yes, he may be watching a Siena game because they have an all-league player who they identify would be a good fit if they decide to transfer. And maybe, in the dark underworld of college hoops, the GM can now work with the NIL before the current season is over - to get a package not only ready for this kid - who is still playing for Siena, but also communicate to this kid - likely through a donor, NIL sponsor, etc - hey, if you ever think of transferring when the year is over, Bonnies would love to have you and would be willing to pay 300K for you to come there.

As opposed to UR and other schools, who may be looking for kids to hit the portal, when at that point - it might be too late.

We can't seriously believe that all kids that hit the portal - hit it with an open mind. I am willing to bet a large percentage of them, have already been contacted one way or another by some schools, and within is 1-2 days - they have a small list they are interested in speaking with and visiting, etc.

I would think they hired him primarily because they can pitch his vast NBA connections to potential players, all of whom will have that as their end goal. Compare that with other schools' GMs who don't have anywhere near those connections or name recognition. Players may see that as a leg up toward their goals, thus it helps the Bonnies.

He's 55 years old. So I'd expect him to do this for 5 years, max.

I doubt he's going to be scouting Canisius vs Siena in a Monday night MAAC matchup.

Bonaventure saw the killer OOC we put together and was like, "That's it! We have to bring on a big gun to give ourselves a fighting chance and somehow get a better schedule than that one! Get Woj on the phone now."

• Haha
Reactions: spiderman
Great points Brownstone. Not many as or more connected in the NBA. Great selling point if all things are equal - hey once your done here - our GM can connect with every front office in the NBA and get your name out there. Now, we know everyone that plays college hoops in the US, or probably any hoops player anywhere now are known by the NBA teams. But that extra connection sure can't hurt, and is at very least another selling point for a transfer.

Reactions: gospidersgo
As opposed to UR and other schools, who may be looking for kids to hit the portal, when at that point - it might be too late.
I don't think the dark underworld is nearly as dark as you think.

no kid hitting the portal is going to turn his phone off because he got an early offer. and certainly not for a "dream school" SBU offer even if it's from Woj. would you? say you're lighting it up at Siena and SBU risks everything to illegally contact you early and offer you a $50k NIL deal. do you consider yourself off the market? you're not answering Richmond's call?

I think it's incredibly rare, if ever, to be too late when a kid hits the portal. unless that kid thinks an SBU offer is the best he'll ever get, in which case ... not a huge loss.

Reactions: VT4700
I don't think the dark underworld is nearly as dark as you think.

no kid hitting the portal is going to turn his phone off because he got an early offer. and certainly not for a "dream school" SBU offer even if it's from Woj. would you? say you're lighting it up at Siena and SBU risks everything to illegally contact you early and offer you a $50k NIL deal. do you consider yourself off the market? you're not answering Richmond's call?

I think it's incredibly rare, if ever, to be too late when a kid hits the portal. unless that kid thinks an SBU offer is the best he'll ever get, in which case ... not a huge loss.
I am not saying a kid turns his phone off, but just like when recruiting kids out of HS, it pays to be early. Especially when you know - you might be the underdog. Get a kid early in HS - and start recruiting him, form the relationship - maybe he gives you a shot when the bigger schools start coming in towards the end. This is part of the reason it might be even more important now for schools like UR to over-recruit and make contact with more players, even guys we know we likely won't get. Cause chances are - a good number of them will be in the portal at some point. And maybe having a GM allows you that opportunity - someone to make those phone calls, send those letters, speak to parents and build the relationship. So when the kid goes to a P5 school that loses, of he doesn't play much - your there to call and already know everyone. Its like NBA free agency with no contracts - each year, technically - every kid is available on every team.

Again - I think its a good move by the Bonnies, because like us - they are a mid-major, and they need to turn over every stone they can to get players and kids to come to school there, especially in Olean NY. Will it turn the Bonnies into a top 25 team - of course not. But if Woj can identify or get a 1-2 key players to come there, that could be the difference to make them a top team in the A10 in some years.

Article in RTD today, 5 star TJ Power recruited by Duke and UVA, chose Duke, things didn't work at Duke transferred to UVA.

don't know what SBU can pay Woj, but read he's walking away from a $7M per year gig at ESPN.

I think likely more of a lifestyle change for Woj more than anything. Don't know what the life of an NBA insider reporter is, but assume a lot of travel, and lots of time glued to your computer and cell phone trying to break the next big story. So if he was making 7M per year, maybe he says - don't need the money, and just going to relax now and do something to help his alma mater.

OR - ESPN has been under fire lately and they seem to get rid of people at a wim, maybe he knew something and said - let me get out of here before something big happens.

I also wonder - is this new GM position and you also see "player development" coaches as well - are these new positions just the latest thing in college basketball to spend money on and keep up with the "Jones's". Years ago it was practice facilities - you were behind if you didn't have one, even if you didn't need one - you had to get one because every else was doing it and you have to keep up with your competition. Charter flights was another one, something that is much more common even among mid-majors school like UR. Are these positions just the next item schools will need to have to keep up?

Yep, think this is more of a move to a labor of love. He probably liked or even loved the ESPN gig - but it is a crazy 24/7 world in which he does have to be texting at 1AM to ensure he is beating out Shams and the others for the scoop. This role, he is in control, and he probably can create the role and see fit how he wants to do things. And it will be furthering the SBU hoops program. Have to thing the 24/7 reporting aspect is fun and exciting, but becomes tiresome after a while.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT