ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

If we can land King and Maddox, thing we will have taken care of number 1 and 2 on my list.
Of course, as of now we don't have Tyler back, and we don't have any incoming transfers yet, BUT......if a few things happen, here is what our roster could look like:

Guards: Smith, King, Roche, Randolph, Dji.

Forwards: Tyler, Maddox, Bigs, Noyes, Tanner.

Bigs: Quinn, Walz.

So, trading Nelson and Dread for King, Maddox, and Tyler. I think we would all take that. :)

So, trading Nelson and Dread for King, Maddox, and Tyler. I think we would all take that. :)

Not sure how Burton is included in such a trade.

Yes let’s get those 3 & hopefully 1 more. But I’d be careful on King over Nelson. Next year yes. But king is a 1 year guy. Nelson has 3 left. Nelson still has a ceiling to reach imo. He struggled last year no doubt & I was beating drum to have Goose run the point. But Nelson showed flashes & had some big games. It’s not like we wanted him to transfer.

Not sure how Burton is included in such a trade.

Yes let’s get those 3 & hopefully 1 more. But I’d be careful on King over Nelson. Next year yes. But king is a 1 year guy. Nelson has 3 left. Nelson still has a ceiling to reach imo. He struggled last year no doubt & I was beating drum to have Goose run the point. But Nelson showed flashes & had some big games. It’s not like we wanted him to transfer.
I included Tyler as a "trade" because I was comparing the roster I posted to the 1st post of the thread. As for Nelson, I don't know how everyone else felt, and I'm not saying I definitely wanted him to transfer, but I certainly did not want a lot of minutes from him next year, and I didn't see that changing in future years either. I don't think he is a big loss at all, and yes, I would much rather have King for 1 year than Nelson for 3 more, especially the way the portal is now.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
I included Tyler as a "trade" because I was comparing the roster I posted to the 1st post of the thread. As for Nelson, I don't know how everyone else felt, and I'm not saying I definitely wanted him to transfer, but I certainly did not want a lot of minutes from him next year, and I didn't see that changing in future years either. I don't think he is a big loss at all, and yes, I would much rather have King for 1 year than Nelson for 3 more, especially the way the portal is now.

Fair & u r entitled to that opinion. And I wanted a good guard or two coming in w Nelson back or not too. But idk about future. U were very high on Nelson. Now u may be too low. The player will answer the question w his play elsewhere.

Fair & u r entitled to that opinion. And I wanted a good guard or two coming in w Nelson back or not too. But idk about future. U were very high on Nelson. Now u may be too low. The player will answer the question w his play elsewhere.
All fair. And, correct, I was high on Nelson. And, gave him the benefit of the doubt a little longer than I should have. But, the more I saw offensively and defensively, the more I didn't want him to be a big minute guy for us.

All fair. And, correct, I was high on Nelson. And, gave him the benefit of the doubt a little longer than I should have. But, the more I saw offensively and defensively, the more I didn't want him to be a big minute guy for us.
I agree, Nelson had very little floor awareness and a slow decision making process.

Still, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him flourish in a better system with a better coach (this describes about 85% of D1)
smh ... again, how many PGs have we had who succeeded tremendously under CM? I've lost count.

it didn't work out with Nelson. he moved on. probably the best thing for him as he lost his starting role to Dji late last year and now Smith is coming. but while Mooney's offense might not be perfect for every PG, he's certainly got a track record for developing high caliber PGs.

so a little small at the 3 but I'm rolling out:

1 King
2 Bailey
3 Roche
4 Bigelow
5 Quinn

Noyes backs up Bigelow and possibly deals with Wheeler. hit the weight room hard tonight, kid!
Tanner plays a lot behind Roche.
Walz gets 12 mpg behind Quinn.
Smith gets his minutes behind both guards.
and that's everybody.

but this will all change again tomorrow, hopefully.

smh ... again, how many PGs have we had who succeeded tremendously under CM? I've lost count.

it didn't work out with Nelson. he moved on. probably the best thing for him as he lost his starting role to Dji late last year and now Smith is coming. but while Mooney's offense might not be perfect for every PG, he's certainly got a track record for developing high caliber PGs.
They just don’t make the NCAA’s very often. But yeah, great guards.

As of Now, I have our roster like this:
Guards - King, Dji, Roche, Smith,
Forwards - Burton, Bigelow, Noyes, Tanner
Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Assume Burton back at this point. I think we will land one or two more in the portal, but for the moment not seeing a big impact type of player - more of the roster filler variety.

My starting lineup:

King/Dji/Burton/Bigelow/Quinn

I like to start defense first and try to disrupt the other team from getting in a grove offensively. I value that more than having shooters on the floor. King is quick, hoping that translates into being pretty good defensively. Any know a good free site that shows player defensive ratings?

Guys that need to step up:

Dji - need him to come back with an offensive skill that is a threat every time. Maybe driving/finishing, maybe mid range, maybe 3pt shooting (shot good percentage but low attempts). This back court works much better if he can score 8-12 ppg. Stay healthy and protect the ball.
Burton - If he is back, really need a step up year. I know he did a lot last year. But I think the off season injury hindered his ability to really improve. 3pt shooting down. Handle still shaky at times. We need him to step up and be a POY guy next season.
Noyes - as the roster is currently constructed, he is going to need to step in and play some pretty big minutes. Seems to have the skills and athleticism, and we saw some glimpses once Peter gave him some minutes. We need him coming in and impacting the game with a couple threes, a dunk and some defense.
Quinn/Walz - In my defensive mindset, Quinn needs to stay active and bother and block shots. He would pick up fouls. We need Walz to be ready and come in, and use his size/athleticism to do the same, and not foul so much. He doesn't need to be super on offense. He is smart. Just make the plays that are there on offense, but be a bulldog on defense. With the way this roster is now, its time to play and not keep getting ready for the future. Future is now big guy.

I know it is always a reach counting on guys to come back better, but that is what we are up against. We have some talent, we need the guys above to step up and be performers. And we need Boyden to keep the defensive mindset developing.

Reactions: gospidersgo
My starting lineup:

4 of those are probably locks. the other spot is most likely between Dji and Roche, and I flip flop on that. totally different players. I do think that lineup could use a shooter to spread the floor. I feel like with your lineup we'll go into our "feed the post" offense that we used towards the end, and I didn't love it. I'd rather Quinn get his in the flow.

the other options are the unknowns (Smith and Tanner) and Noyes. I'm in the "very excited about Tanner" camp, and we know Smith is highly thought of. but I can't project them starting day 1. not until we hear otherwise.

Noyes hardly played last year buried deep on the bench, but he impressed the heck out of me in a few of his runs. shot looks great. hops are ridiculous. I'm ready to see more.

we're still going to fill spots, but it's getting tough to picture getting top of the rotation help right now unless Langford or someone like that surprises.

Reactions: VT4700
Agree with much of what you say sman. In my lineup, though I like and value defense heavily, we need two out of Burton/Dji/Bigs to really step up the 3pt shooting. I am not crazy about the dump it into Quinn in the low post every time offense either.

It's now time for Noyes. If not we will have to see if Tanner is ready.

Agree with much of what you say sman. In my lineup, though I like and value defense heavily, we need two out of Burton/Dji/Bigs to really step up the 3pt shooting. I am not crazy about the dump it into Quinn in the low post every time offense either.

I definitely would like to see more Noyes this season.

In my lineup, though I like and value defense heavily, we need two out of Burton/Dji/Bigs to really step up the 3pt shooting.
absolutely if 2 of those 3 pick up the 3 point shooting we can focus on defense.
but if Tyler and Isaiah are shooting around 30% and Dji is only taking 1 per game ...

As of Now, I have our roster like this:
Guards - King, Dji, Roche, Smith,
Forwards - Burton, Bigelow, Noyes, Tanner
Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Assume Burton back at this point. I think we will land one or two more in the portal, but for the moment not seeing a big impact type of player - more of the roster filler variety.

My starting lineup:

I like to start defense first and try to disrupt the other team from getting in a grove offensively. I value that more than having shooters on the floor. King is quick, hoping that translates into being pretty good defensively. Any know a good free site that shows player defensive ratings?

Guys that need to step up:

Dji - need him to come back with an offensive skill that is a threat every time. Maybe driving/finishing, maybe mid range, maybe 3pt shooting (shot good percentage but low attempts). This back court works much better if he can score 8-12 ppg. Stay healthy and protect the ball.
Burton - If he is back, really need a step up year. I know he did a lot last year. But I think the off season injury hindered his ability to really improve. 3pt shooting down. Handle still shaky at times. We need him to step up and be a POY guy next season.
Noyes - as the roster is currently constructed, he is going to need to step in and play some pretty big minutes. Seems to have the skills and athleticism, and we saw some glimpses once Peter gave him some minutes. We need him coming in and impacting the game with a couple threes, a dunk and some defense.
Quinn/Walz - In my defensive mindset, Quinn needs to stay active and bother and block shots. He would pick up fouls. We need Walz to be ready and come in, and use his size/athleticism to do the same, and not foul so much. He doesn't need to be super on offense. He is smart. Just make the plays that are there on offense, but be a bulldog on defense. With the way this roster is now, its time to play and not keep getting ready for the future. Future is now big guy.

I know it is always a reach counting on guys to come back better, but that is what we are up against. We have some talent, we need the guys above to step up and be performers. And we need Boyden to keep the defensive mindset developing.
23, I just don't see nearly enough outside shooting with your starting lineup. Dji starting would IMO make things that much tougher for everyone because if I were on defense, I would just play off of him and cheat toward everyone else. Tougher for King and Bigs to get free, tougher for Tyler to drive to the basket, and tougher for Quinn down low.

On your player breakdowns, this is year 4 for Dji and you are still asking for an offensive skill. I would love it if it were found, but I just kind of think he is who he is, a good defensive player who can maybe give you some good minutes on that end of the floor, but certainly not a starter with starter minutes, and definitely not a guy that will average 8-12 a game.

I agree with your Tyler, Noyes, Quinn, and Walz comments. Since I want Roche to start with King, Bigs, Tyler, and Quinn, I will add we need him to be a consistent threat from 3, shooting often, and making them often, and be that 3rd double digit scorer, along with King and Tyler. And, I think he will be just that, and having his weapon from 3, along with King in the backcourt, will make everyone better. I think King can be a Jacob type player handling the ball a lot, so I am not as worried about a 2nd ball handler in the back court. Tyler often helped bring it up last year, and did fine, so we should be fine there. Also, I wasn't too confident in Dji handling against pressure last year, so I would not play him over Roche just because of ball handling.

With this lineup, I could see Tyler at 20 PPG, King 15, Roche 12, Quinn 10, and Bigs 8, similar to 2020 when our starters averaged 17.7, 13.4, 12.7, 12.7, and 8.9 a game. As a team, we averaged 75.3 that year, our 2nd highest scoring season since 1994, and our 3rd highest since 1981. 3 point shooting opened things up for everyone that year, so let's start Roche and do the same this year.

* If we add a guy like Langford, he could start and we could bring Bigs off the bench.

* If Tyler doesn't come back, we would really need to add a guy like Langford because he and Bigs could both start, making the only difference Langford starting in place of Tyler. If we do not add an impact player, we would need Smith, Tanner, and/or Noyes to be ready from day 1 to not only be part of the rotation, but a key part of the rotation that we could count on for some scoring and defense.

23, don't get me wrong, defense is critical, but you have to score, and you are asking for not 1, but 2 of Tyler, Bigs, and Dji to be factors from 3. Last year, on heavy volume, Tyler was 29.3% from 3 and Bigs was 26.5% from 3. Maybe one can make a nice jump, which would be great, but I just can't count on both being in that 35% range from 3, and Dji, with his form and slow release, will never be a volume 3 point guy. But, I agree with everything else you are saying, and we do need Noyes, Tanner, or Smith (don't forget about him) to step up.

Guards - King, Dji, Roche, Smith, Hunt, Graham (walk on)
Forwards - Bigelow, Noyes, Tanner
Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Right now, thinking starters are:

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

As much as I am not excited about adding filler guys, it seems that wee need to have a couple just to have minimal depth. I remember a few years ago we had coaches practicing. We may be there again this year.

If we could get one more impact player in the portal, preferably a forward, I would feel a lot more optimistic about this coming season.

Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

As much as I am not excited about adding filler guys, it seems that wee need to have a couple just to have minimal depth. I remember a few years ago we had coaches practicing. We may be there again this year.

If we could get one more impact player in the portal, preferably a forward, I would feel a lot more optimistic about this coming season.
23 could see them going 3 guards and applying more full court pressure.

Reactions: Not-A-Homer
Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

maybe with TB moving on that huge amount of opportunity and shots that he is leaving behind can get the attention of a decent guy? That is the only bright side to it that I can think of.

Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

Langford sure would be a good addition.

I didn't realize the Mongolian kid from Dayton was in the portal. Kinda liked his game and I think he was only a freshman.

Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

Having on 3 forwards on the roster in late May, not optimal to say the least. We can barely field a full squad for practices at this point.

• Sad
Reactions: 8legs1dream
Having on 3 forwards on the roster in late May, not optimal to say the least. We can barely field a full squad for practices at this point.
I like 3 guard lineups. Numerous college teams go that route. Some even 4.

Didn't Mooney say Roche plays the same position as Burton? Sounds like he considers him a forward. It doesn't seem Mooney-like for Noyes to jump over him in the rotation given their minutes last year.

Didn't Mooney say Roche plays the same position as Burton? Sounds like he considers him a forward. It doesn't seem Mooney-like for Noyes to jump over him in the rotation given their minutes last year.
I don't think Mooney liked playing Roche as off guard with Nelson. Might feek better with King as primary ball handler.

agreed he could certainly play Roche as the 3rd guard / SF ... but that's a real problem rebounding-wise swapping Burton for Roche. have to think Noyes or Tanner or Dji would rebound more at SF than Roche.
we do need Roche's shooting though.

reasonably sure we'll add anpther forward who will fit somewhere in the rotation.

I don't think Mooney liked playing Roche as off guard with Nelson. Might feek better with King as primary ball handler.

agreed he could certainly play Roche as the 3rd guard / SF ... but that's a real problem rebounding-wise swapping Burton for Roche. have to think Noyes or Tanner or Dji would rebound more at SF than Roche.
we do need Roche's shooting though.

reasonably sure we'll add anpther forward who will fit somewhere in the rotation.
Swapping Tyler for anyone would likely give us less rebounding. There are just not that many 6'7 athletic guys who can rebound like Tyler. I think we could be fine with Bigs and Quinn rebounding the ball with 3 guards, and I don't think Noyes, Tanner, or Dji would make a huge difference rebounding wise. Ideally, would like one of the 3 guards to be a scorer with size who can give you some rebounding, like Langford. But, I could definitely see Bigs dominating the glass for us with a 3 guard lineup.

Swapping Tyler for anyone would likely give us less rebounding. There are just not that many 6'7 athletic guys who can rebound like Tyler. I think we could be fine with Bigs and Quinn rebounding the ball with 3 guards, and I don't think Noyes, Tanner, or Dji would make a huge difference rebounding wise. Ideally, would like one of the 3 guards to be a scorer with size who can give you some rebounding, like Langford. But, I could definitely see Bigs dominating the glass for us with a 3 guard lineup.
Roche got 1.6 rpg in 18 mpg. maybe the other guards on the floor with help out there.
I know rebounding isn't our #1 priority, but it's always a concern. Bigelow should be great in an expanded role. Quinn is fine if it comes his way, but he's not getting boards outside his immediate area. guards have to help.

Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Guards - King / Dji
Forwards - Noyes/Bigelow
Center - Quinn

You got more hope than me man

Reactions: spider23
I like 3 guard lineups. Numerous college teams go that route. Some even 4.
My point was you can't barely run a full scrimmage with only 3 bigs. Scout teams are gonna be tough. What happens if one of our 3 big's sprain a knee or ankle and is out for significant period of time. What if Tanner is not ready to play.

I'm not opposed to a 3 guard line-up but from a pure body count stand point, we need more than 3 forwards on the roster.

I still think the starting lineup is
King, Smith, Roche, Tanner, Noyes

As long as they all shoot 100% from three, we may only need 1 steal per game to win...

If we had no forwards on our roster, I think he would find a reason to be excited about that...

"Plenty of teams play five point guards at the same time!"
Right, because that is really close to what I said.....you need new material. You seem to be struggling as usual with your analogies.

I still think the starting lineup is
King, Smith, Roche, Tanner, Noyes

As long as they all shoot 100% from three, we may only need 1 steal per game to win...
Doubt Roche will be ready and don't think we give a Fr the keys again, even with King. Def think 23's lineup is likely and I also could see King, Hunt, Dji, Bigs, and Neal as well. From early reports Collin has looked pretty good and prob help. Now here's to the 100 shooting % :D

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT