ADVERTISEMENT

Next Year Roster

anyone know where I can find a link? I didn't stick around for post game. now I'm dying to hear what was said and how Bob said it.

as for Roche transferring ... that does make much sense. there's a one-time exemption to the transfer redshirt rule. if he transfers again he sits. I think Bigelow could play as a grad transfer if he wants though. to me that would be a huge loss. I like his game. I love his rebounding and defense. and while he didn't hit 3's, the form is good when he gets his feet under him. sometimes he's leaning left.
Bigelow can be a very effective 4 for us without bombing away threes. Love his game, just needs to be used a bit differently on offense.

I am pretty sure you pointed this out before the season. If they want to give you a stipend to be a part time shooting coach I am OK with it :). I mean he shoots 80% from FT line, and has had a good year shooting the three previously. Maybe it is something as small as this that could correct him. Lord knows current coaches couldn't find anything.
lol, let Coach Fezz work with him!

and anytime we spoke about the coaching staff failing to find looks for Roach the Mooneyites would blame him for not doing enough to get himself open for a shot. Now, predictably, the Mooneyites are in their fallout bunker waiting for the first big transfer announcement so they can come out pumping sunshine like nothing ever happened.
I truly hope our Mooney fans understand that if Roche could create his own shots and shoot 40% that he would be playing for Duke or Gonzaga. He cannot, so he plays for the Citadel and Richmond. He needs help getting his open shots. Roche brings a quick release and deadly accuracy to the table. Mooney just needs to get him a little space. Possibly let him shoot in transition before we start the Globetrotter's circus act!

I truly hope our Mooney fans understand that if Roche could create his own shots and shoot 40% that he would be playing for Duke or Gonzaga. He cannot, so he plays for the Citadel and Richmond. He needs help getting his open shots. Roche brings a quick release and deadly accuracy to the table. Mooney just needs to get him a little space. Possibly let him shoot in transition before we start the Globetrotter's circus act!
Exactly on Roche. He is not going to be Curtis Blair, David Gonzo, or Blake Franchise, but he is a hard worker, and can shoot it. We should be able to find a way to incorporate him a little more and get him shots.

per 40 minutes, Roche got up just about as many 3 pointers this year as he did when running around hunting shots at the Citadel. 9.5 3's per 40 lead our team. the problem is he didn't play enough minutes. early on you could argue he was new to the system. later you could argue he didn't shoot well enough in conference (31.3%) to warrant a lot of minutes.

as our roster stands, he's almost got to play a lot next season. I assume we won't play Nelson alongside Bailey as there's just not enough shooting with them together and with Quinn and Bigelow upfront. we almost HAVE to play shooters at the 2 and 3 spots. so pick 2 out of Roche, Randolph, Noyes, Smith and Tanner ... or someone we get in the portal.

sman, any chance you have handy Roche's attempts OOC and in conference play? I'm curious about the volume of each.

OOC: 283 minutes in 13 games (21.8 mpg), 30 of 64 from deep (46.9%)

A-10 including tournament: 288 minutes in 19 games (15.2 mpg), 22 of 71 from deep (31.0%)
this makes so little sense to me.

I know last offseason there were whole threads about "if Goose had hit 2 more 3s he would have been 35%" but for Roche that kind of thing actually applies. He's shown he can shoot 40% from 3. IMO you have to keep playing him and letting him shoot, even if slumping a bit. This team was desperate for 3 point shooting. I recall the one game where he hit one as shot clock expired (waved off), another with toe on line (for a 2) and another was waived off bc of an off ball foul.

Especially with Nelson's minutes decreasing, there should have been more minutes available.

I don't get it.

end of the year, Randolph was playing really well and earned some time.
if we played Burton at the 4 more, then there would be more guard time to go around. but we didn't.
the 4 was strictly for Grace (when not playing the 5) and Bigelow.

I go back to a press conference with Mooney earlier in year. Positionally he called Roche the backup to Burton. Wasn't expecting to hear that.

I go back to a press conference with Mooney earlier in year. Positionally he called Roche the backup to Burton. Wasn't expecting to hear that.
well, the backup to Burton gets like 3 minutes per game so ...

Last edited:
Where's Kneepad?
Hahaha. I thought about responding, but.... in truth, I'm not all that confident we'll win more than 14 games next year, even allowing for the influx of a couple transfers. So, that makes us about 14-18 or so, and I figured it wasn't worth arguing.

We'll win more than 10. That's about as comfortable as I get.

Reactions: 97spiderfan
Hahaha. I thought about responding, but.... in truth, I'm not all that confident we'll win more than 14 games next year, even allowing for the influx of a couple transfers. So, that makes us about 14-18 or so, and I figured it wasn't worth arguing.

Sad outlook, but thanks. I’ll save a bunch on premium tickets, pregame spider club drinks/food, and great parking. I will watch the team lose from my recliner and also save fuel on the hour and one half round trip. And how did I forget, savings on Spider Club donations. Thanks knee, I’m feeling better. Where do I send your fee?

Reactions: SpiderK
Sad outlook, but thanks. I’ll save a bunch on premium tickets, pregame spider club drinks/food, and great parking. I will watch the team lose from my recliner and also save fuel on the hour and one half round trip. And how did I forget, savings on Spider Club donations. Thanks knee, I’m feeling better. Where do I send your fee?
send to @nostradamus23@paypal@venmo

I

Knee, we are losing 3 seniors that lost to William and Mary. I don’t see how we break single digits. There aren’t any worse OOC teams to play!

I

Knee, we are losing 3 seniors that lost to William and Mary. I don’t see how we break single digits. There aren’t any worse OOC teams to play!

My connections in the AD have leaked an early draft of next season's non-conference schedule to me:

Screen-Shot-2023-03-10-at-12-31-29-PM.png

Exactly on Roche. He is not going to be Curtis Blair, David Gonzo, or Blake Franchise, but he is a hard worker, and can shoot it. We should be able to find a way to incorporate him a little more and get him shots.

My connections in the AD have leaked an early draft of next season's non-conference schedule to me:

Screen-Shot-2023-03-10-at-12-31-29-PM.png
Should win 54% against this schedule ;););)

I

Well, I know we will break single digits because of one simple fact: you think we won't, and you are always, always wrong.

Reactions: plydogg
Assuming no surprises, I expect Quinn to lead the team in points, assists, blocks, and potentially rebounds next year.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Well, I know we will break single digits because of one simple fact: you think we won't, and you are always, always wrong.
We will win more than 10, just because we are an A-10 school and at least half (probably more next year) of our OOC schedule will be against lower mid major, aka, teams with less talent than us. It is almost impossible for a program like UR to have less than 10 wins per year, it would have to be some type of complete rebuild type of situation, which isn't happening next year.

We will win more than 10, just because we are an A-10 school and at least half (probably more next year) of our OOC schedule will be against lower mid major, aka, teams with less talent than us. It is almost impossible for a program like UR to have less than 10 wins per year, it would have to be some type of complete rebuild type of situation, which isn't happening next year.
Louisville, Cal, it is possible.

Reactions: gospidersgo
Guards - Nelson, Dji, Roche, Smith, Randolph, Dread
Forwards - Bigelow, Noyes, Tanner
Bigs - Quinn, Walz

Lot of guys that can do 1 or two basketball skills well, but lacking in others. Thinking we really really need 2 impact players in the portal.

1. Need a guard that can come in and right the ship, control the game, score, do everything type. Then we need one guard to raise his game and be a 30 minute a night contributor. All (except Dread) have shown flashes of being big time contributor, but not enough consistency. Not feeling great about this, when you are hoping for big improvement internally it is usually a stretch.

2. Just need another 6'5 + guy that can do a lot (defend, rebound, etc) and score some. and again, we need either Noyes or Bigs to step up and be a good A10 starter. Need Walz to be impactful. Quinn shows flashes, but Walz needs to want to beat him out and not just be content to lift weights, and keep working for the future. The future is now for you as a hoops player.

I hope Mooney heals up and has a calm restful recovery. Then he and Hardt decide its time to ride into the sunset.
If we can land King and Maddox, thing we will have taken care of number 1 and 2 on my list.

Reactions: spiderman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT