ADVERTISEMENT

New renovations at the RC

So making renovations around football, must not have been enough for Coach Rocco...

When are we draining the lake to build our new 100,000 seat football stadium in the center of campus? I heard the SEC is looking to capture the VA tv market...perfect timing.

He actually wanted to rename the facility the Rocco Center

BZWKGVYGVADUIUN.20140827194043.JPG

Spider Rocco

Frankly considering how old the RC is, it has held up pretty well since '72. Wow it just dawned on me, in 4 years it'll be 40 years old!!!!

I was there for the celebration of 20 years.. We got smoked by Lefty and JMU..

I grew up watching Richmond basketball at the Arena through my freshman year at UR. Sophomore year, we were at the Coliseum. Then we finished the Robins Center in November of '72 - opening night, we couldn't believe what a PALACE it was compared to the other two facilities.

My first game was a different Lefty & Terps game. In March, about 9 1/2 years after the opening...

Still have a Big Apple patch from that one.

My first UR game was at Benedictine's gym. Earliest memory was the line around the block waiting to get in to see Frank Selvy and Furman. Then they moved to the Arena, which was big time for its day. Southern Conference tournaments were held there too...when the SoCon was a big deal with Tech and WVa included. Then on to the Coliseum for a couple years. Saw the initial game at the RC when I was a law student. Used to go over almost every afternoon for pickup games in the main gym as then AD Frank Jones would let us in. Floor at that time was a tartan surface. Odd as you could barely hear the ball bounce off the floor. Man, I must be old!

My first UR game was at Benedictine's gym. Earliest memory was the line around the block waiting to get in to see Frank Selvy and Furman. Then they moved to the Arena, which was big time for its day. Southern Conference tournaments were held there too...when the SoCon was a big deal with Tech and WVa included. Then on to the Coliseum for a couple years. Saw the initial game at the RC when I was a law student. Used to go over almost every afternoon for pickup games in the main gym as then AD Frank Jones would let us in. Floor at that time was a tartan surface. Odd as you could barely hear the ball bounce off the floor. Man, I must be old!
We would go in after last morning class and only security lights were on, but
enough to shoot. The tartan floor was tough on knees and ankles and noisy with
cuts and change of direction.

Reactions: Stork3
Mike Anastasio took our first shot in the Robins Center. Drove the lane, put up a floater and Len Elmore or Tom McMillan rejected it to center court. Maryland destroyed us that night.

You could usually play at the RC on weekends, or sneak into Millhiser. The auxiliary gym was almost always too crowded to get a game.

Reactions: Stork3 and I-M-UR
Mike Anastasio took our first shot in the Robins Center. Drove the lane, put up a floater and Len Elmore or Tom McMillan rejected it to center court. Maryland destroyed us that night.

You could usually play at the RC on weekends, or sneak into Millhiser. The auxiliary gym was almost always too crowded to get a game.
Mike, the lefty from Hampton. He never got over the fact that I beat him in "HORSE" regularly.

You can still easily go into the RC and play pickup.

?.."..........".?

You were obviously not a math major.In 2022,it will be 50 years.Even more amazing.

I think it's held up well thanks to not using it for every event under the sun like the Siegel Center. I don't know who else uses it other than men's and women's hoops, graduation and Special Olympics.

BillyWayne, I have some similar memories. Walked around the RC yesterday and thought how amazing it looked; must have been really well built and is now well maintained. I’m certain that the new Queally Athletic Center will also be classy.

These "memory lane" threads for old Spiders are fun. Have posted this before but it says so much about the character of the man I am posting it again. One night at the Arena I had ridden in another student's car with 4 more frat brothers. We came out and the car would not move because the driver had run over a wooden berm used to mark parking. Before any of us could get out of the car Dr. Clarence Jung was on his hands and knees trying to remove the berm from under our car. Dr. Jung (Econ prof) was a very kind man who when a student gave him a totally wrong answer he would say, Mr. _____, that may be one way of looking at it but it is not what I had in mind.

Dean CJ Gray was the PA announcer in the early days of the RC. I remember him announcing Furman's big man as Leonard Fessor, instead of Fessor Leonard.

And I remember how crazy everyone went when the music guy started playing the theme from "Deliverance" at the VPI game that year, a double-OT masterpiece victory.

These "memory lane" threads for old Spiders are fun. Have posted this before but it says so much about the character of the man I am posting it again. One night at the Arena I had ridden in another student's car with 4 more frat brothers. We came out and the car would not move because the driver had run over a wooden berm used to mark parking. Before any of us could get out of the car Dr. Clarence Jung was on his hands and knees trying to remove the berm from under our car. Dr. Jung (Econ prof) was a very kind man who when a student gave him a totally wrong answer he would say, Mr. _____, that may be one way of looking at it but it is not what I had in mind.
Dr Jung was a great guy and lived in Ginter Park where I grew up. He lost a child to
Diabetic complications in the 70s. Very nice man.

Dr Jung was a great guy and lived in Ginter Park where I grew up. He lost a child to
Diabetic complications in the 70s. Very nice man.

Yes sir - stayed in touch with him from time to time after graduating and he was one of the most encouraging people I ever have had the privilege of knowing.

Had Dr. Jung for Econometrics - a fine instructor and gentleman. Remember that he headed out to the Ross building at 7th and Main to deliver a speech on the Energy Crisis (1974) - and ran out of gas on the way there. A great story.

Dean CJ Gray was the PA announcer in the early days of the RC. I remember him announcing Furman's big man as Leonard Fessor, instead of Fessor Leonard.

And I remember how crazy everyone went when the music guy started playing the theme from "Deliverance" at the VPI game that year, a double-OT masterpiece victory.
After one season, the Spider Club board of directors sent out a survey asking how to improve the Robins Center. I suggested that Dean Gray be sent down to the Greyhound station so he could announce where the busses were going. The next season, they had another announcer. I assume they listened.

The locker room looks great. I wish they posted more renderings of what it will looks like for those of us who won’t be able to see it in person

That amazing Spider win was in Feb. 1973! VT went on to beat Notre Dame in the NIT Championship. In those days the NIT championship was on national tv.

Those hot VT Cheerleaders in those hotpants!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT