ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach at VMI

I realize not all Spider Alums agree (espically those that graduated from UR in the 1980s and later) I would like VMI on our schedule every two or three years in basketball and football,

Originally posted by FrontRoyalSpider:
I realize not all Spider Alums agree (espically those that graduated from UR in the 1980s and later) I would like VMI on our schedule every two or three years in basketball and football,
Over the past 14 years VMI has had an average kenpom rank of 261. They are exactly who we should not be playing, they are a complete RPI anchor. Winning against them doesn't help us, and playing them at all really hurts our RPI.

Yeah, if we wanted to play more teams like VMI, we could just call The Gazelle Group and let them schedule 4 or 5 for us.

Democrats will end up taxing the top RPI 150 to pay for the bottom RPI 200. More timeouts, 7 personal fouls, Bonus after 3 team fouls by opponent, extra steps without dribbling, 4 pointers, snack bar stamps and a free cell phone!!

please quit mentioning something which you obviously only know one side and it is the wrong side. no vmi

TO, time out or technical foul -- both work in this case

There is something called TRADITION. I've known many fine graduates of VMI, once a conference mate of UR. I have no problem with playing them from time to time. In fact, I favor it. I'd vastly rather play VMI than an IUPUI, or South Alabama.

no fox, just common sense and no mainstream narrative like we get on most every subject. you stick by the narrative whether it is truth or just fiction. would certainly rather play vmi in basketball if we are going to schedule a 200+ team and always in football and yes, georgetown in football or basketball as well.

Yes to VMI replacing a 200+ team every few years. No to VMI replacing UNI last year.

And here is a thought, we play VMI in basketball or football, and Georgetown in football, the season after they have had 3 straight winning seasons.

There is no problem with having VMI on the schedule. Any schedule is going to have about 3-4 RPI anchors. And really - that is a good thing early in the season. It gives the guys some games under their belt before getting into the bigger more meaningful games. Or maybe its a good schedule over the holiday break or exam week to hopefully give the guys an easy win.

The issue becomes when you have 6-7-8 RPI anchors, that is just too many. I would say about 3 a year is fine, then you have to work hard to get other good games.

I think we can handle 2-4 RPI anchors in a season, and VMI is a good one to play. When we get to play SC St and similar in these early season touneys and then add 1-2 ourselves we lose our margin of error to get into the dance.

No to VMI. Yes, we get play several RPI anchors every year, usually most of them are scheduled as part of an exempt tournament which gets us the opportunity to play some bigger schools. That is the only reason we should be willingly schedule a sub 250 game. Just scheduling one to schedule one, local or not, adds nothing and actually hurts the long term goal of the program, which is to position ourselves for at large bids.

On the same note, kill the JMU series as well.

I would prefer to play 0 teams with 200+ RPI.

Since VMI has been dreadful for years, they should be avoided until they turn things around.

Agree 97 - if you know the RPI anchors are coming because of an exempt tourney - then try to schedule appropriatley otherwise.

Here would be my breakdown of the OOC schedule - which typically is about 14-15 games.

RPI Anchors - 4 games where the RPI is over 150, even over 200.

Mid Level - 5 games - RPI games around 75-150. This should be games where luck comes into play. Maybe a lowe conference team, who is picked to do well, so they can squeak in with an RPI around 100.

RPI top 75 - 4 games. I say top 75 because this gives you a little buffer. If the team does not do so well, still a chance they hover around RPI top 100. IF they do well - then maybe they squeak into top 50.

Top Level Games - 2-3 - Big time opponents, who we know will be good. In years past - this would be teams like Kansas, Minnesota, Florida, UNC, etc. This likely will come about as a one time game, or exempt tourney opponent.

From a win/loss prediction - I would assume we would be picked to win all RPI anchor and mid level games. RPI Top 75 level would be 50/50 games. And top level games we would surely be underdogs. Win 2 top 75 games, and steal one upset in the top level games - you could come out with very good OOC record before A10 play.

Again - this is easier said than done as there are so many things behind the scenes with scheduling that makes this extremely difficult. But for a team like us - we rely heavily on the exempt tourney's from year to year. Last year - it hurt us. Years before - it helped us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT