ADVERTISEMENT

NDSU Bison stadium football plans

The new stadium has been under construction since last summer. It's actually smaller than the current one...dropping from 6,000 to 5,000. Obviously much more modern and with the integrated fieldhouse and no track though. Not sure whether it's been designed with potential future expansion in mind.

Edit: I take that back. Current stadium is 4,500 seats plus standing room. New one will be 5,300 plus another 1,000 on a berm, so about the same overall. And yes, designed for possible expansion.

Not basing this statement on the new stadium, but unlike Richmond, Davidson does recognize and embrace the reputational synergy between excellence in academics and excellence in athletics.

They support more sports than the Spiders, have a higher percentage of the student body participating in NCAA sports, and generally give a good accounting of themselves in most sports. Impressive for a much smaller school.

Demonstrates it can be done by a small, private school, if there is commitment at the top...which we lack, sadly.

C'mon Davidson, you know you want to start scholarship football and bring back A10 football!

You know, the City of Richmond and in fact the State of Virginia, doesn’t have a giant domed stadium.
Do we still own the Reynolds property? Maybe a few shrewd Business School grads could figure a way
that we could come together with the City of Richmond and the State of Virginia, and build a dome stadium
that would be the only one on the east coast. Bowl games and NCAA championships, any many more sports
events. Suppose they had the final four here. Ukrop, you’re into smart business why not consider it’ ?

I know you’re speaking in jest considering the only thing capable of supporting a stadium like that is an NFL team, but no, we sold our portion of the Reynolds property to Altria a number of years ago. The main building is of course a historic landmark, so it’s not going anywhere anyway. And the remainder of the campus UR never owned has been redeveloped into a Walmart, hotels, medical offices, and other retail.

Reactions: urfan1
I know you’re speaking in jest considering the only thing capable of supporting a stadium like that is an NFL team, but no, we sold our portion of the Reynolds property to Altria a number of years ago. The main building is of course a historic landmark, so it’s not going anywhere anyway. And the remainder of the campus UR never owned has been redeveloped into a Walmart, hotels, medical offices, and other retail.
Darn, I thought I had a secret plan. Can’t you see it- 60,000 fans at the Richmond vs. Stoney Brook. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT