ADVERTISEMENT

NC Central

I agree there is too much hatred on the board by a very small amount of you😡Just keep your mouths shut if you can’t be positive, both of you guys know better. We beat a team today better than anyone we have faced this year so far except for Michigan State.

The question remains- who called the play- Huesman or was it Aaron Trusler? Either way, that will probably not happen again. As a Dallas Cowboys fan, it reminds me of stupid plays called by Barry Switzer, like going for it on 4th down and 4 to go on their own 20 yard line. It failed. Switzler shortly thereafter lost his job.
Not sure Trusler was involved in the inside zone?!? Maybe you’re right!!

We’re certainly talking about different plays than the post you initially “responded” too. I think? That’s ok! As I’ve said and will continue to say, we won by 22!!

Reactions: urfan1
Two plays after the botched fake, Central qb Richard was injured scoring the touchdown. Retrospectively, the botched play may have been the play of the game. While we certainly played better it was obvious he didn't.

Today, the front 4 on defense really dominated. Grant, Banks and Tresler were in the back field. The defense shut down their receivers. The statistics indicated they would have difficulty handling our defensive matchups. Once we corrected for their passing attack, we forced them out of their game plan. Our defense asserted itself from the 2Q into the 3rd. Winston October also called a good game. Wickersham is a beast.

Two plays after the botched fake, Central qb Richard was injured scoring the touchdown. Retrospectively, the botched play may have been the play of the game. While we certainly played better it was obvious he didn't.
Yes, this seemed to be a key difference in the game. He didn't put any weight on his left leg and therefore couldn't step into throws downfield. Consequently, I think he only threw one of those beyond maybe 10 yard the rest of the game.

NCCU is a very solid team and yet had we not handed them a TD and given back another of our own, we might have won by 35 or 40. Impressive. The way we came back was even more impressive. I wouldn't bet against us in New York.

This is what I saw just before the game...
UR's defense had a tackle for loss (TFL) rate of 12.3%, which is #1 in the playoff field.
UR had a pressure rate of 58.6%, #4 in the field.
Over the course of the season, we did a very good job of defending against the run and pressuring the QB.
On offense, NCCU had a TFL allowed rate of 7.07%, 9th in the field. They had a pressures allowed rate of 28%, #22 in the field.
At the outset, it looked like our D matched up well against two weaknesses of theirs.
That seemed to play out today.

Was that what they called the defense in the championship run in 2008?
Yes, they did.

Memory fades as to when it started (I bet mojo and some of the Spider Gang can remember), but I seem to remember the term started getting floated when Clawson and Huesman got here. By year two under Huesman as DC it became pretty hard to run the ball versus the Spiders. The term built and built as the years went on.

I do know I heard a couple of years ago, that the defense was starting to "get it" and understand how to fill gaps like the guys from the mid and late 2000s.

That TD by 11 at the end of the half was huge. For us to go into halftime only down 6 after EVERYTHING went wrong... had to give the guys confidence.
This thread is crazy. Those at the game never lost faith in first half, you just felt we would turn it around. That TD at end of half changed momentum.

Reactions: whampas
Some posters on this thread owe the Coaches and team an apology.
I hereby apologize to Punter Aaron Trusler and Coach Russ Huesman for thinking that our PUNTER would make the call to try a fake punt on our 20 yard line in the second quarter. I fully give credit to the coach of the special teams, HEAD COACH Russ Huesman, for making such a BONE HEADED decision.

Sue glad the team and Coaches did not throw in the white flag as fast as some posters.
It was not unreasonable to think that, after the Spiders melted down in the first half, the game was over. The announcers were praising the prowess of the NCCU team and the enthusiasm of their fan base.

I post as I see it in real time. I won't apologize for my "embarrassing" comment in the first half, because at that time, the game was embarrassing. And when we turned the game around I heaped praise on the players and coaches.

Bring on Albany!

Reactions: Gallipoli
Yes, they did.

Memory fades as to when it started (I bet mojo and some of the Spider Gang can remember), but I seem to remember the term started getting floated when Clawson and Huesman got here. By year two under Huesman as DC it became pretty hard to run the ball versus the Spiders. The term built and built as the years went on.

I do know I heard a couple of years ago, that the defense was starting to "get it" and understand how to fill gaps like the guys from the mid and late 2000s.
Memory is getting fuzzy but may have come from an AGS poster around end of the 2007 season. The d-line really started to come into its own with the likes of Martin Parker & Parker Miles in the middle and Sidbury & Logan as the ends. May or may not have been around the time of the Wofford playoff game. The name really picked up speed the next year. Helped having guys like Eric McBride that played with an edge and hit HARD.

This year’s defense certainly has a formidable front 7. Those 2007/2008/2009 units had some really skilled guys in the secondary that is unfortunately really hard to replicate.

Does feel like a good time to run off another 2 or 3 (or more) playoff wins to put this team up there. And then keep building and do it again next year!

I've now watched the game live, saw the highlights and re-watched the archive on ESPN+. Our guys fought hard and took that win, nothing was given.

For those that just saw the TV game I can better understand your frustration, the announcers sounded like Central employees until we were guaranteed the win in the 4th.

BTW the Stonewall D is back!

Reactions: spiderjpo
This thread is crazy. Those at the game never lost faith in first half, you just felt we would turn it around. That TD at end of half changed momentum.
Agree here.

Being at game never felt we were overmatched in first half. Quite the opposite. Pretty obvious from our sideline, team believed the same. If we executed in second half as we have proven capable over several past games, it was going to be a Spider victory.

On to Albany. Very good team. Go Spiders!

Reactions: mojo-spider
Yes, they did.

Term was coined by Bruce Dowd, National FCs writer from that era. Believe he frequented some UR tailgates during that era as well.

That’s right! That’s why I thought AGS since Dowd always posted there as well

This is what I saw just before the game...
UR's defense had a tackle for loss (TFL) rate of 12.3%, which is #1 in the playoff field.
UR had a pressure rate of 58.6%, #4 in the field.
Over the course of the season, we did a very good job of defending against the run and pressuring the QB.
On offense, NCCU had a TFL allowed rate of 7.07%, 9th in the field. They had a pressures allowed rate of 28%, #22 in the field.
At the outset, it looked like our D matched up well against two weaknesses of theirs.
That seemed to play out today.

Here's a related stat that jumped out to me... of the 25 guys on the CAA TFL Leaderboard, we have the most at 5. Speaks the strength and depth of our front 7:
  • Richmond - 5 (Louis w/ 11.5, Fitz 10, Wheeler 9, Galloway 9, Barnett 8.5)
  • Albany - 4
  • Delaware, Maine, W&M, Elon, NH, Villanova, Towson - 2 each
  • NC A&T, Rhode Island - 1 each
  • Hampton, Monmouth, Stony Brook, Campbell - None

A few comments after getting home, rewatching the game, and reading this forum...

Couldn't agree more with your take @urfan1. I felt confident at the half actually. We were clearly the better team in the 1st half, and if you take away just 1 of the 2 bad 1st half plays, we might even have had the lead at half.

For the kid that dropped fake punt, he was already looking down field before he caught it. Ugh. I'm sure the kid's a hard worker who gets limited time, then he finally gets the spotlight and his excitement gets him. Probably no one more upset than him. As expected, Huesman let him have it. For those questing the call in the first place, I'm with you. That said, maybe Huesman saw something and given how the defense reacted, 9/10 times we gain 20+ yards. 1/10 times the Up Back drops it. As I said, Ugh.

Our receivers were clutch, catching some passes they had no right to catch. Getting the ball downfield more and spreading the field was (and will continue to be) key for us, and it showed later in the running game.

How about the defensive front 7. Dominant. They are great athletes, but to me the key is they play incredibly disciplined, selfless, smart football.

Lastly, hopefully the guy calling players a-holes got banned, that's embarassing for him. If not banned, its odd he didn't have anything positive to say later like other overreactors did.

Here's a related stat that jumped out to me... of the 25 guys on the CAA TFL Leaderboard, we have the most at 5. Speaks the strength and depth of our front 7:
  • Richmond - 5 (Louis w/ 11.5, Fitz 10, Wheeler 9, Galloway 9, Barnett 8.5)
  • Albany - 4
  • Delaware, Maine, W&M, Elon, NH, Villanova, Towson - 2 each
  • NC A&T, Rhode Island - 1 each
  • Hampton, Monmouth, Stony Brook, Campbell - None
Outstanding.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT